Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up an inexpensive .22LR handgun at the next gun show in my area...i've heard the Ruger Mark III's are good shooters, but a buddy told me the teardown for cleaning is a beast.

This is primarily for my 9 year old (although I'm sure I'll put plenty of rounds through it since ammo is so cheap), any recommendations for something that shoots well (it's for my 9 year old), but isn't a huge pain in the rear cleaning?

My goal is to keep somewhere around $300 or less if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
no rugers are not hard at all. I did however just come home today with a rossi m518 22 revolver. seems to be a good shooter so far for 200 bucks! and gsg makes a 1911 22pistol for about 300bucks ive heard good things about German Sports Guns GSG 1911 .22lr Pistol but if your dead set on a ruger.. you wont be disappointed!
too bad springfield does not make a xd/xdm in .22

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no rugers are not hard at all. I did however just come home today with a rossi m518 22 revolver. seems to be a good shooter so far for 200 bucks! and gsg makes a 1911 22pistol for about 300bucks ive heard good things about German Sports Guns GSG 1911 .22lr Pistol but if your dead set on a ruger.. you wont be disappointed!
too bad springfield does not make a xd/xdm in .22

Thanks for the input, I'll check those out...I'm really not set on anything, but still am somewhat new to guns so I'd like to have some frame of reference for what others have found to be quality guns.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I will say that the ruger line is one of the most accurate .22s ive shot and is fairly bullet proof! Usually there not a picky gun and can fire any brand of ammo. Besides if you get the ruger mk3 you gonna need a mate for it and the ruger 10/22 is a primo choice, just as bullet proof and accurate, also fairly easy to clean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought my son ( now 2) a Walther P22. It is one of the most comfortable weapons I have ever held. Shoots like a dream too. I have the short barrel version but plan to swap barrels with a buddy that has the longer barrel.
Take down and assembly are a little different, have to follow the directions.
I got his for $250 very lightly used.
The only issue I have heard of is if you run a supressor the slide may eventually crack due to the weight.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ruger Mark III IS A pain in the butt to tear down, BUT it is the most accurate weapon I own. I also have a Walther P22 it is easier to tear down but very picky on the ammo you use. The Ruger will shoot any 22LR, but the Walther will only shoot CCI high velocity ammo. The Ruger is more fun to shoot, but cleaning the Walther is easier.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
my son (8 yrs old) has suppressed Walther P22 that is fun , quiet and accurate at 25 yrds .It is easy to clean and my son does the cleaning himself .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Matbe u want to rent one before buying , regardless of brand .

My 14 yo , who is quite small for his age at prob 85 lbs , and I shot a Ruger at the range today . I thought he would really enjoy the low ( NO ) recoil .

On the way home I asked him if we should buy one .
"No Dad , it's no fun without the recoil " !

So we'll keep shooting my XD9sc and the 1911 .45 ACP which he enjoys even more .

So get him to help u make a decision ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruger Mark III IS A pain in the butt to tear down, BUT it is the most accurate weapon I own. I also have a Walther P22 it is easier to tear down but very picky on the ammo you use. The Ruger will shoot any 22LR, but the Walther will only shoot CCI high velocity ammo. The Ruger is more fun to shoot, but cleaning the Walther is easier.

my 2 cents

my son (8 yrs old) has suppressed Walther P22 that is fun , quiet and accurate at 25 yrds .It is easy to clean and my son does the cleaning himself .
Thanks to all for the input...

vhunter, do you have the same experience w/only being able to shoot the CCI ammo, or have you had better luck with cheaper stuff? One of my whole purposes in going w/a .22LR is to keep ammo costs as low as possible.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not as well built, accurate, nor reliable as the other brands, but man it is 100 times more cool. The Walther P22. Guns just don't get more fun. I feel like a secret agent every time I pick mine up. Plus it can take a silencer or laser/light. Try one, you'll smile.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I also have 2 walther p22's I have not had the ammo problems as described. other than federal ammo and cci blasers both have digested all of the rest!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have 2 walther p22's I have not had the ammo problems as described. other than federal ammo and cci blaers both have digested all of the rest!

Same here, no problems at all with my P22 in three years of shooting it. Feeds any kind of ammunition even the odd and old ones found in the bottom of boxes and desk drawers.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have a Sig Mosquito and it is finicky about ammo, but it is easy to tear down and clean (and you do have to keep it clean).

Once you get the right ammo its a really fun gun to shoot. Sig recommends CCI Mini Mag's but I found the Federal bulk ammo in the blue box works for me. It also runs great on any of the hyper velocity ammo with the included higher tension spring but the blue box ammo is cheaper and runs the standard spring.

Anyway, I've added the Sig 1911 22 https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-22lr-olive-drab.aspx to my wish list. I still plan to keep the Mosquito for the boys to use someday because of the smaller pistol grip and the included weaver mounting rail for lasers/lights and other fun things.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Many criticize the Ruger Mark series for the difficulty in taking them down, but fact is, with rimfires, a complete teardown isn't needed all that often. Usually all that's needed is to brush the breech and bolt face and guide rod and clean the magazines. Even the bore doesn't need cleaning that often. I wouldn't discount the Rugers for that reason alone.

That being said I chose to go with the Browning Buckmark 5.5" URX. It just felt more comfortable in my hands and has given me thousands of rounds of good service, with more than acceptable accuracy.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Just get a Browning Buckmark. In all honestly, I shoot a Mk2/3 and a Buckmark side by side, and there is no appreciable difference.

The main reason I prefer the Buckmark is that the controls are nearly identical to a 1911/High-Power.

Used, you can easily find one for under $200...and they aren't nearly as finicky as Mosquitos and Walthers.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
As a 12 year owner of a Ruger 22-45...I highly recommend this pistol.

Accurate, reliable and a fun shooter that feels great in the hands.

Take-down is easy and yes, re-assembly is not easy, but follow the instructions in the manual and you will get it back together. Once you do it a few times (...and you will...because if you buy a 22-45, you will shoot it often) it gets much easier.

There is also a company that offers a "speed strip" kit that makes assembly extremely easy. I have mastered re-assembly of the 22-45 so I don't need this kit, but its not a bad addition.

We have several thousand rounds through my 22-45 and have never replaced a single part.

Check out the Ruger 22-45....if you ask me...it is a great 22 pistol. In fact, the 22 auto-pistols are some of the best things Ruger has ever made.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If you haven't made a selection yet, try out the Browning Buckmark.... for accuracy, it's about on par with the Ruger, and I found it to be a lot more comfortable. Price was a bit less too.

I'm at a couple thousand rounds through mine now, with a few failures all due to the Ammo. (Remington bulk stuff). Changed ammo and no failures after that.

Love it.

Fired the Walther P-22, and really liked that, but price around me wasn't so hot. Just try to make sure it is a newer version. Researched them before I bought my .22 and found early versions had some problems, but those issues seem to be fixed on the newer models.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Take a look at the S&W 22A as well. I've had mine for a little over a year, have put several thousand rounds through it and it's worked like a charm. $ 195 at my LGS too.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Where is the love for the revolvers? What about a Ruger Single Six?

Reliable, simple, accurate, easy to clean. Plus it's cowboy cool. The convertible models shoot both .22 Mag and .22LR.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts