Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been given conflicting information about the EMP 9mm, the general gist of which is that you shouldn't use Winchester Ranger RA9T (147g) or RA9124TP (124g +P) due apparently to the guns small size and barrel type. I figure that's a load of BS, but I just wanted to ask the more knowledgeable folks here if there was any reason you couldn't use those loads in the EMP 9mm.

Thanks,
-Robert

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I'd say it's a load of BS, as well.

While I don't own one, I'd be surprised if it wasn't +P rated.

FWIW, Winchester themselves recommends the 147gr load in shorter barreled pistols...and to be honest, that would be my choice in it (assuming it was reliable, accurate & controllable when I shot it).

So...I'd say, pick some up, run a few magazines through your pistol, see if it (and you) like it, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I carry and run Ranger RA9T in my EMP...
As well as Ranger SXT, both in 147 gr.
I have no use for +P ammo.;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
+P ammo sounds like a waste of powder in a short barrel pistol. I'd test out +P accuracy next to standard in simular bullet type and weight then decide for yourself. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot +P through the EMP though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies!

·
Registered
244 Posts
No one will recommend you run copious amounts of +P through your EMP as the extra pressure will put added strain on the pistol and wear the parts faster. I put the occasional carry load through mine at the range every now and then to test it and to stay accustomed to the extra umpf. As long as your not running 1000s of rounds of +P you'll likely be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts