Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've had a Taurus PT1911 for about 6 months now. and i think i've put roughly 250+ rounds thru it. Recently i shot it at the range and only put 50 rounds thru it. I didn't clean it cause it didnt look that dirty. Today I took it out again, and i had so many failure to extract. almost every clip, even with wilson combat magazines. Is it cause I didn't clean it, or do all Taurus' have this problem? kinda thinking of getting rid of it now after today, cause it's my daily CC. the temperature was also in the teens today, but i don't think that would affect it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, you should clean it. The ejector may be all dirtied up, or other things causing it to not kick back all the way and eject. Just clean it, takes like 15 minutes if you want to be thorough with it.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
IIRC, the owner's manual tells you to clean it after any use or two hundred rounds, which ever comes first. Sorry, I just don't know if failing to clean after the previous 50 rounds is causing your issue. I've never had any problems with my PT1911 (but I follow the owner's manual ;) ) What ammo are you shooting? Did you switch types of ammo between your first shoot and now?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just talking to my local gunshop owner the other day, and he said that any 1911 that's tighter than military issue deserves a great cleaning often. He's enough of a smith to find that cleaning is one of the greatest sources of 1911 problems - be they Taurus, Rock Island, or Baer Custom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've alternated between wolf and remington UMC. I definately cleaned after using wolf. the last 150 or so rounds were the UMC. I just gave it a good cleaning. i brushed around the extractor and a lot of crud came out from around it. Hopefully it works good the next time i bring it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts