Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems using Gun Scrubber on their XD. I am a little skeptical after it appears it started to dissolve the plastic grips on my Walther PPK. I just bought an XDm40. Its my first polymer pistol, and I don't want to have any similiar issues. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, BigDog :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The can that I bought from Wally World has a black top. I was not aware that there was more than one type. I will be sure and get the gray top one. Thanks for your help. BigDog

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just read the label on the can and see if it says it’s safe for plastic. I emailed Springfield about using Ed’s Red and got the following reply. I omitted the responder's name, email, and phone number since I did not ask his permission to post this on a public forum.

Thank you for your interest in Springfield Armory Products. Your cleaning solvent does not contain anything that should harm the XD. If a solvent says do not use on Polymer or plastic do not use it on your XD. I do not know of any cleaning solvents that harm the XD frames.

Thank you,

Dealer Assistance and Response Team
Springfield Inc
420 West Main St
Geneseo, IL 61254

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:08 AM
Subject: Sales Email - Sent: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:28:26 -0800 (PST) - Cleaning a XD45ACP

Hello,

I am buying a XD45ACP and have a question about cleaning. I usually use Ed's Red (a mixture of 50% Mineral Spirits, 25% Auto Transmission Fluid, and 25% Acetone) for all my firearm cleaning. I was wondering if this solvent was acceptable for cleaning a XD. I've not seen any ill effects on my plastic grips but I don't get it on the wooden stocks of my Springfield mil-spec 1911A1. It has not affected the polymer frame of my Ruger 22/45. Is there anything in Ed's Red that I should keep away from my XD? What solvents, if any, should I avoid?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Take this at face value, but I have used Wally World cheapo Carb Cleaner for years with no problems. It's in a blue, red, and black can. I think it's called Super Tech. Last time I bought a batch it was less then two dallors a can. It doesn't work as good as Gun Scrubber, but for the cost you can just use a little extra.

As for use, I have been using it for ~6 years on Glocks, ~3 yrs on my XD45, and just the other day on my new XDM 40. I know of several other LEOs that have been using it for years. I have had no problems with polymer frames, but it will make a Hogue rubber grip eventually become soft. The cleaner will leave a light white film, but goes away when whiped over with an oily cloth.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've used Gunscrubber for a lot of years, never had an issue on any polymer guns.

Now that the synthetic frame formula is out, I do use it, but the old one never hurt any of my guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts