Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
The usual suspects--HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot or Golden Sabre in 165 or 180gr flavors, assuming my pistol feeds them reliably and I like the accuracy and control in rapid fire.

Beyond that, it's angels dancing on pinheads.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm with cuda. I don't own a .40, but I really like HST's.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I personally run with 165 grain Gold Dots (but you can't go wrong with the HSTs, either). The 165s penetrate very nearly as well as the 180s and offer a little more velocity, which can sometimes ensure more complete expansion, especially if shooting through a barrier. I do believe the Border Patrol was using these for a while.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cuda is spot on.

Personally, I have settled on Gold Dots for all my carry calibers. When I buy next time, I could easily pick HSTs. I had a ready supply of the Gold Dots for a decent price. Just make sure you test fire your carry ammo in all your magazines and run with the round you like.

BTW, in 40, I too went with the 165s. They seem to get the job done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the remington HTP 180gr, Seems to be reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know they're kinda cheesy but I like the Hornady zombie rounds. Other than the different colored tip and the regular brass vs zinc plated, they are the same as the critical defense rounds and a touch less expensive. They seem to do very well in my 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went against the grain and have some Hornady Critical Duty . I shot some through my XDM 3.8 the other day and I loved the way they shot.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have gold dots and win pdx 1 for my .40cals.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Speer 180gr Gold Dot
Federal 180gr HST
Remington 180gr Golden Saber
Corbon 140gr DPX. This ammo has a Barnes solid copper HP

My 40 cal pistol is not picky about the ammo but you should by a few boxes of each and be sure it cycles fine before choosing any round for SD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts