Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was thinking of buying the Hi Point for just some fun plinking with my boys and was wondering if there was anybody that had experience or knowledge (good or bad) with this gun? Cabela's has for $299 ~ is this a fair price?

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
The price sounds a bit high. I think I've seen them $225 in the new style. I'd call $250 a fair price. If you can find the old ugly version, they will be much cheaper.

They are fun plinkers and more accurate than I thought it would be. I got an old and well used one for under $100. It FTFs sometimes, but I think it just needs to be cleaned. I've just never got around to it.

The recoil is next to nothing, lighter than a .223.

I'd look at the 45acp version if you think you might ever possibly go deer hunting with it, but the 9mm has taken more than a few (not me though)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input... went locally today and was told the 9mm was hard to find but he had the .45 version for $399 ~ a little more than what I want to pay for a plinker... not to mention the higher cost of the ammo.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My friend has the old version 9mm. Its awesome to shoot. If you clean it regularly you wont have any probably. My first HG was a highpoint 45. Big ugly as heck and not much fun to disassemble. But reliable and accurate. I think budsgunshop.com has around 219 last time I checked. Those berettas are nice but pricey.

Edit

Just checked bud's they are up to 349 now. I remember when first gens were 149!.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Thanks for your input... went locally today and was told the 9mm was hard to find but he had the .45 version for $399 ~ a little more than what I want to pay for a plinker... not to mention the higher cost of the ammo.
That is insane for the 45. I hope it was at least the version fully decked out with garbage. I have seen the 45 for $225 once, and it hasn't been around all that long so you know it wasn't "back in the day" either.

here is a 40sw for $247 with free shipping
Hi-Point Rifles/Shotguns mks/hi-point carbine ts target sto - TheGunSource

look for s used first gen. I bet one could be had for about $150.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought one last year and have not had a bit of problem with it. Fires every time i pull the trigger. Instructions on break down for cleaning very vague but other than that a good rifle at a fair price. Try to find one a little cheaper, 250-260 price range.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i had one a few years back, liked it for target shooting. i only paid 150 brand new at the gun show.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
i had one a few years back, liked it for target shooting. i only paid 150 brand new at the gun show.
they used the redesign as an excuse to jack the prices, and now they like to package them more. VFG, laser dot, scope, a pair of them or all of the above. you don't see just the gun for sale much any more.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I own a 9mm and have the .45 on order. I was so impressed with how the 9mm shot that I ordered the .45 right after leaving the range. My LGS can get all the calibers in at around $250.00. I wouldn't pay anymore than that though. Too easy to come across at gun shows and used ones at shops. If you're thinking about it buy one! They don't disappoint. The only problem I had was with the magazine causing FTF. It has some play in it. If I let it fall to a natural position no issues, lift it with my hand and FTF every time. Of course this is one of the older style.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well I went down and bought one at Cabela's... ended up paying $274 + tax after a $25 rebate they were offering. Did come with the front grip but that is all. Purchased a inexpensive Sightmark Sure Shot reflex sight for it and 3,200 rounds of ammo. Now to get it to the range. Thanks all fo your input.

·
Registered
638 Posts
$400 for a 45 acp carbine that only holds 8 or 10 rounds is ridiculous.

For another hundred or two you can get a Masterpiece Arms 45 acp carbine that uses inexpensive 30 round grease gun mags. I have one. It's very accurate.

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
I know a Class 3 guy who converted one to full auto. Says it's a blast and very reliable.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The hi-point 995(older carbine) was my very first gun I ever bought. Never had one jam/hiccup and was accurate and reliable. They are fun little plinkers....Ended up selling mine to upgrade and bought a mossy 500....which I now have also sold...to upgrade lol...congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had it at the range on Tuesday and put about 150 rounds thru it. I was very impressed with its accuracy right out of the box. Had to make a small left rear sight adjustment and was able to do nice tight groups at 25 yrds. Will be heading up to the hills this weekend to stretch it out a bit more.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
when they first came out (995) wife got me one for christmas or birthday ( dont remember which) you could still get ammo cheaply enough to shoot at that time. A buddy and I must have put 15 to 20000 rounds through trying to kill it. He handloaded about 1500 rounds right up to the max and we ran those through it and it kept right on running. I ended up letting him have it about 3 or 4 years ago and its still rolling

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think mine is a fine weapon and tons of fun to shoot at the range. I have the newer 995ts and for the price I think they can't be beat. I am guessing many that do not like them, are not judging from personal experience. I consider mine an excellent HD weapon given the proper ammo choice. 9mm is my favorite caliber, Cheap to shoot and still deadly enough. I paid $259 and the worst part was availability. It was hard to find one and I had to put my name on a list. I have only shot about 400 rounds so far, but no problems whatsoever on reliability. The worst thing I see about them is the magazines. Not the fact they are ten rounds, but they need tuning a little. My guess is most failures are caused by the magazines that need adjusting. Can't beat the warranty if your unlucky enough to get one with a problem or even if you wear it out. As a range gun I think its fantastic. Love the ghost ring sights. Could they be made even better, not for the price. I only wish there were more manufactures of 9mm carbines in the under $500 range. I have mostly more expensive guns, but see nothing wrong with the Hi Point carbines in its price range and believe it is dependable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts