Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
that they picked up a mod. 2 before they got disappeared by SA?
I know I am. This beauty below and it's the only picture I have of it, is now my EDC.
20190529_192356.jpg

I've had it for a year or two now and it was a forgotten gun in the bottom of the gun box for most of that time until recently.
But why now? I bought extra mags. for it, the TLR6 you see on it(no longer on it) but never carried it.
First of all, why did I buy it? When I was at my LGS looking for the then new XDM 5.25" 10mm that they didn't have in stock, I accidentally picked this gun up. I fell in love with the feel of the grip immediately! Even with the stupid "GRIP ZONE" plastered all over the grip. It was priced so low, I just couldn't resist! It was a natural pointing gun for me right out of the box with an excellent trigger that I was able to shoot like a laser gun. The reason it stayed in my gun box for so long is I was carrying a gen. 4 G19 and had been for several years. I guess I was one of those GLOCK fan bois. So what changed?
The thought of a ND with my GLOCK started working on my head and even though I already had an old XD9SC that I had carried for years that was a dream to holster w/o having to make sure clothing was out of the way while looking at the gun to make sure there was not going to be an ND(thumb on rear of slide, grip safety not engaged), the thought of only ten rounds of 9mm on tap was not very comforting.
Recently, I compared this gun to my precious G19 and what I found was that they were very similar in size with the XD only about 3/8" longer in the grip with the rest of the dimension almost exact, PLUS I now have 14 rounds of rip snorting handloaded 180 grain .45ACP on tap!
Personally, I think the fact that SA discontinued this frame was a mistake. Yeah, yeah, I know, "GRIP ZONE"! But they were making good on it by removing it. If anything, they should have dropped the original XD models in favor of this one.
Anyone?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought an XD-45 Mod 2 Tactical 5" barrel. This gun fits my grip perfectly and I guess I'm the only one in the world that actually likes the Grip Zone. When I bought it I wasn't shopping for a gun but the $399 price drew me in.

·
Read Only
1,065 Posts
The Grip Zone doesn't bother me a bit. My XD Mod 2 4" service model .45 ACP is one of the most accurate straight out of the box handguns I own. And it fits my hand like a glove.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought an XD-45 Mod 2 Tactical 5" barrel. This gun fits my grip perfectly and I guess I'm the only one in the world that actually likes the Grip Zone. When I bought it I wasn't shopping for a gun but the $399 price drew me in.
Yes, me too. I don't remember what I paid for it but it was little enough that I didn't hesitate.

The Grip Zone doesn't bother me a bit. My XD Mod 2 4" service model .45 ACP is one of the most accurate straight out of the box handguns I own. And it fits my hand like a glove.
Exactly my feelings on this gun. And a dream to shoot! :love:

·
Registered
610 Posts
When I went to look for one it was like they all vanished. Wasn’t going to give some jerk twice of what they’re worth online either. Hoping they will bring out a updated model.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought a Mod-2 Compact when they first came out
I don't care for the grip zone billboard, but it is easily covered with grip tape.
I bought a Tactical for the range and bedside firearm and could not be happier with my choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I am.
Anyone?
If we find a favorite restaurant we love, they WILL CLOSE it down, even prior to chinese.virus.
Again, such sad NEWS to me ... I thought SA had brains and guns superior to Glock, at least in my hands.
Glock was a Barbie Doll whose tweaks & accessories cost as much as the gun - new - and never got any closer to the bullseye before it began to jam, then frame had to be replaced (G27).

I bought the Glock 2010Aug after trying every 45acp in town to find a hand fit = none, so this was the next best thing, being a double stack mag = resembled Browning competition .22LR passed down = a tackhammer.

Once the local store displayed this Mod.2 45acp in a kit, special price, I never regretted it, the only remorse was those 6 years, 7 months of "Making Do". Not only a tackhammer outta-box, but easier to find green laser & optic sights of the highest calibers. LOVE IT, could be The One, if reduced to one, ignoring current ammo shortages. With Ranger +P, what could be better? BTW local indoor ranges limits calibers to this, 357mag, 40/10 and no rifles, so practice also a buying factor. Cargo shorts if pocket carry.

Aside: with the only ammo for sale one week = 32acp & 45GAP, got lucky to find 45GAP S.A. XD-LE Tactical, so practice doesn't have to wait forever. Same sort of tackhammer, 5" barrel power but not a carry option.

Help me: what DATE did Mod.2 die at S.A.? Doesn't show up yet at Genitron.com database ....
Anyone: WHY?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I bought one pretty much on a whim, not really sure what attracted me to it---possibly the "compactness" of a .45 ACP pistol, the only caliber I have in handguns. The Grip Zone thing was hokey and still is BUT because its now a discontinued model owning one has a bit of cachet to it. :)

I hesitated a bit too long buying a new Sig P227 (double stack .45 ACP) so bought my second choice: FNX-45.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If we find a favorite restaurant we love, they WILL CLOSE it down, even prior to chinese.virus.
Again, such sad NEWS to me ... I thought SA had brains and guns superior to Glock, at least in my hands.
Glock was a Barbie Doll whose tweaks & accessories cost as much as the gun - new - and never got any closer to the bullseye before it began to jam, then frame had to be replaced (G27).

I bought the Glock 2010Aug after trying every 45acp in town to find a hand fit = none, so this was the next best thing, being a double stack mag = resembled Browning competition .22LR passed down = a tackhammer.

Once the local store displayed this Mod.2 45acp in a kit, special price, I never regretted it, the only remorse was those 6 years, 7 months of "Making Do". Not only a tackhammer outta-box, but easier to find green laser & optic sights of the highest calibers. LOVE IT, could be The One, if reduced to one, ignoring current ammo shortages. With Ranger +P, what could be better? BTW local indoor ranges limits calibers to this, 357mag, 40/10 and no rifles, so practice also a buying factor. Cargo shorts if pocket carry.

Aside: with the only ammo for sale one week = 32acp & 45GAP, got lucky to find 45GAP S.A. XD-LE Tactical, so practice doesn't have to wait forever. Same sort of tackhammer, 5" barrel power but not a carry option.

Help me: what DATE did Mod.2 die at S.A.? Doesn't show up yet at Genitron.com database ....
Anyone: WHY?
I think it was about a year ago, maybe less. The closed restaurant thing is real. I thought we were the only ones that happened to.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought the Mod 2 subcompact in 9mm and liked it so much I bought the subcompact in 45 acp. I only carry them with the extended mags so that gives me 16+1 in the 9mm and 13+1 in the 45 acp. Love them both and they are both in the daily carry rotation.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the same gun for the same reason.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My first handgun was the XD mod 2.... and though I have added many since, the mod 2 is still my absolute favorite....both subcompact and compact (4"). I have turned a couple people onto xd's, but if the mod 2 was still being produced, I am sure I would have easily sold many more for Springfield!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Had the opportunity to find a Bi-Tone XD Mod.2 Service Model at Rural King a few weeks back for a great price (sub $400). Needless to say I pulled the trigger on the purchase and am so thankful I did.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very happy I got two of them when they first came out.. Both SC's The first one is a 9mm the second .45

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When was the XD Mod 2discontinued? Does this mean an XD Mod 3 is in the works?
I don't remember when it was discontinued but it was within the last year and a half or so. I don't see them coming up with a mod. 3 unfortunately.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know I am. This beauty below and it's the only picture I have of it, is now my EDC.
View attachment 823481
I've had it for a year or two now and it was a forgotten gun in the bottom of the gun box for most of that time until recently.
But why now? I bought extra mags. for it, the TLR6 you see on it(no longer on it) but never carried it.
First of all, why did I buy it? When I was at my LGS looking for the then new XDM 5.25" 10mm that they didn't have in stock, I accidentally picked this gun up. I fell in love with the feel of the grip immediately! Even with the stupid "GRIP ZONE" plastered all over the grip. It was priced so low, I just couldn't resist! It was a natural pointing gun for me right out of the box with an excellent trigger that I was able to shoot like a laser gun. The reason it stayed in my gun box for so long is I was carrying a gen. 4 G19 and had been for several years. I guess I was one of those GLOCK fan bois. So what changed?
The thought of a ND with my GLOCK started working on my head and even though I already had an old XD9SC that I had carried for years that was a dream to holster w/o having to make sure clothing was out of the way while looking at the gun to make sure there was not going to be an ND(thumb on rear of slide, grip safety not engaged), the thought of only ten rounds of 9mm on tap was not very comforting.
Recently, I compared this gun to my precious G19 and what I found was that they were very similar in size with the XD only about 3/8" longer in the grip with the rest of the dimension almost exact, PLUS I now have 14 rounds of rip snorting handloaded 180 grain .45ACP on tap!
Personally, I think the fact that SA discontinued this frame was a mistake. Yeah, yeah, I know, "GRIP ZONE"! But they were making good on it by removing it. If anything, they should have dropped the original XD models in favor of this one.
Anyone?
Heck no than we wouldn't have any SA XD's in california and in free states XD9SC comes with 13rnd mags with one in the pipe you got 14 ready to rock

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first Springfield I purchased was a 9mm sub compact XD Mod 2. I followed that up with a 45 sub compact XD Mod 2. After that I added a XDM compact 40 . All 3 shoot great. But what I really enjoy is the nice relatively low felt recoil of all 3. Previously I had a Glock 27 which is a good gun but that 40 had a tendency get your attention with the recoil. I put around 3500 rds through it. It was accurate and reliable but when I started shooting these 3 Springfields it was immediately apparent that the felt recoil was softer even comparing 40 to 40. I will have to say my 45 acp Mod 2 sub compact just amazes me on the pleasant recoil characteristics. I'm glad I bought them when I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts