Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into reloading 12g.

Bought a mec 600 a couple of weeks ago, the old pre 82 one, complete enough to use. All metal, mounts with 3 bolts. $100. Thought that was pretty good.

Last night at my weekly league shoot a guy comes over and says 'hear you was looking for a mec..here, have this one" and gives me, no charge, a mec 600 JR, post 85 model, with primer feed ass'y and a couple of charge bars.

I know from trying to identify my purchased one that the newer ones are often referred to as 'plastic', the crimper being AFAIK at this point the biggest differnce, but how the, not sure the proper name, shell guide with the plastic fingers in it over the main station, mounts. Old model is metal and screwed on, new model is plastic and slips into a slot (for easy change?)

So...lookng for advice on which one to keep. I surely don't need both. Primer feed can be nice, but I had a lee loadmaster and the primer feed on that was more hassle than it was worth. Is the mec one any better? Save any time?

Seems the plastic crimp starter is a wear item where the old metal one is forever (and I have 6 and 8 crimp in metal). Is this true? Figure maybe I keep the best of both on one press and sell the other one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try each of them and see if you can tell any difference. I bought a new MEC recently and I have had no problems with the primer feed I bought and it does save time. I have read they wont feed primers well if you try to run it empty before putting more primers in but I usually fill it when there are 10 or more left

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can only speak from my experience using one I bought in the late 70's that I still use. I've reloaded so many shells in it that honestly, placing the primers by hand is second nature and does not slow me down at all. I place a box of 100 primers face down on the table to the right of the reloader and slide the cover off to have them all neatly at my fingertips. I grab a primer in one instinctive fluid motion. I've tried using the primer feeder on a newer model; and at least for me, when I add in the time spent loading it and then messing around with a few misfeeds off and on, I think I load faster without it. YMMV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a pre 82 which I bought around 77-78. I too hand fed the primers and have loaded a ton of shells over the years. I no longer load SGS, but I occasionally will assemble a few for Scouts and such. I do not know the difference in design of your two presses. I wouldn't expect the resale to be much so I'd keep both, maybe one for parts. But if you can get your $100 back, I'd sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts