Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lefty coming from a Glock, I love the ambidextrious mag release on the XD although I find myself still using my left trigger finger to release the magazine out of habit. However, I find the slide release a little more difficult to operate left handed than my old glock. It might be because the gun is not broken in yet, but on my glock I can just tap it with my left thumb, with the XD it takes considerably more pressure at a slightly different angle.

Any other leftys feel the same way?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had the same problem with the slide release but it does get softer. I use my index finger to release the slide. I found it easier for me than using my thumb.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are plenty of lefties on this board, and I'm among them. I've put a LOT of rounds through my XD (almost 3,000 rounds in two months) and the slide release has become easier, though it's still difficult at times.

You should try working the release lever with your index finger. Unless your hands are vastly different than mine, there's no way to keep a decent grip on the gun while actuating the release with your thumb. However, by simply relaxing your grip, the gun naturally tips forward, placing the release under your index finger. It works well for me, though the tip of my finger can get a little raw if practicing for a while.

If you do magazine drills, try working the mag release with your index finger, too. I've found that doing so facilitates a much faster return to my shooting hold. Using my thumb positions my hand such that I have to adjust significantly before I am ready to fire again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm a south paw that forced myself to shoot right-handed (thank God.) Even when we did the strong eye test in the army I made sure my right eye was my strong eye. The strong eye test, for those without initiative, is where the Drill Sgt. holds up a piece of paper with a pinhole in it about an inch away from your face, which ever direction your eyes moved to to focus on the pin hole the opposite was considered your strong eye. You move your eyes left your right eye strong and visa versa.

The reason for me to learn to shoot right handed stems from me learning from my mistakes when I learned to play guitar left handed. Left handed guitars are hard to come buy, and none of my friends play left handed, so I couldn't pick up my friend's guitar and play. I know you can pickup any rifle and shoot it, but if it's made for a right handed person, the bolts on the wrong side, and brass flies in your face.

Eh, just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i always release the slide-lock by pulling back the slide and releasing.. slows you down ever so slightly in competition, but... it gets you used to pulling back and working the slide, so if you get a jam you can clear it faster and more naturally.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I am beyond lefty I am so lefty. I find the extended mag release a major assist for me. Even my local gunsmith, a former metropolitan police armorer was impressed when he saw it and he is not easily impressed. Said the quality was excellent.

Being a lefty in a righty world ain't always easy but you learn to adapt. Guns are no different.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=48PA

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am lefty too. That is what got me into the wonderful world of XD

Was going to go with a Glock, but given they do not have ambidex mag release, i started looking for something else. My friend pointed me at the XD and i have not regretted it.

Though it can sometimes be hard to find holsters etc. for lefties. With that i mean in stock.

Just waiting for Old School to get some of his Balde-tech holsters in and i will be going to the local USPSA match.

regards

Casper

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lefty here!! I am not sure I understand what you are doing...are you saying that you cross your left thumb, over to the side where the slide release is? Sounds kinda labor intensive. Has the weapon ever jumped out of your hand when the slide is released?
For me...heck, I just use my index finger...and yes, it does get ALOT easier with use. I have put a few thousand rounds through mine as well and it really, truley gets better and better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
this lefty usually just slingshots it. i do use my index finger to lock the slide back though. i catch the lever right around the middle joint.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lefty here but I am also ambidextrous so it does not matter. I am one of those strange ones that can write with both hand at the same time and backwards too. Shoot billiards left handed only because I'm not as good right handed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Southpaw here. Stelthsniper, thanks for the tilt forward tip. I have only had my XD for a week, and had been pulling the slide back to release it. Tilting it seems to work out well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts