Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I carry two XD-Ss as backup guns to a primary and after hundreds of rounds have never had an issue. I've finally decided to use the 7 round magazines as the reloads but the plastic sleeves don't lend themselves to comfort or magazine pouches. I removed the sleeves and have shot several qualifications using the magazines without them and have had no problem. Is anyone aware of issues in reliability with removing the sleeves?

We now issue the M&P 45 but the XDM 5.25. is authorized. I never thought I'd like these plastic pistols so much. I'm use to carrying an all steel S&W .45 DA/SA.

As a replacement for the j-frame these XD-Ss seem to be amazing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had no issues shooting my 7 rounders without the sleeve. I intend to carry my spare like this. I have finally shot mine enough to feel comfortable carrying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I haven't had any issues and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you slam your mags in too hard you may be able to damage your ejector.

·
Administrator
22,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you slam your mags in too hard you may be able to damage your ejector.
THIS!!! There is a reason why they come with them.
The grip extension is for grip, comfort and esthetics. The mag will not contact the extractor, as *_if_* it could be slammed to the point it went beyond the normal position, the mag would be in front of the extractor, and not make contact with it.

I determined this by unloading my XDs and looking, and tried a long mag without a sleeve.

I see no reason to not carry your spare mags without the sleeves, they are quite bulky on these single stack magazines.

·
Administrator
22,367 Posts
The grip extension is for grip, comfort and esthetics. The mag will not contact the extractor, as *_if_* it could be slammed to the point it went beyond the normal position, the mag would be in front of the extractor, and not make contact with it.

I determined this by unloading my XDs and looking, and tried a long mag without a sleeve.

I see no reason to not carry your spare mags without the sleeves, they are quite bulky on these single stack magazines.
My 1911 has 'bump stops' on the mags to limit this very issue. I would not suggest it since they have the sleeves for a reason. IF you could find Springfield saying its OK to do this without the sleeve then I would believe but for now, I am skeptical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have taken all my sleeves off my XD's ( XDs45, XDsc9 and XD45c ) for the last 2 years with no problems. I have run two of them in small shoots and all day classes with no issues.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Glock mags have a shoulder to prevent over insertion,Xds mags rely on the baseplate " or sleeve" to prevent this.If you baby your gun the mag catch will probably stop the mag and you might not have any problem.But during an adrenalin dump over insertion could possibly occur and tie up your gun.

If the situation has gotten to the point where you have dumped your mag and need to perform a speed reload,you are probably in some pretty deep **** anyways and are 2 more rounds really going to make that much more difference?

·
Registered
414 Posts

Reading comprehension much?
Knowone said anything about the extractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts