Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of converting a Saiga 223 for a home defense rifle when I spotted a used golani rifle for $549 at my lgs. The insides look very ak like, and a little research showed that midway usa has mags for $12.99. I like the look and feel of this gun. I know that they are Century Arms version of the Galil rifles. Any input on these guns?

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I'm not very studied on the Galil/Golani, but if you don't get much help here you can come over to the other forum listed in my sig area. I guarantee you'll find your answers. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had a thing for the Galil and deeply regretted not buying one years ago, then these came out! I got talked out of one by someone I trust. They have forged receivers, thus heavy, and are built by Century, which means they can be hit or miss. I would spring for the Saiga in .223 if you must have one in that caliber. Actually, the Russian 5.45x39 may be a better performer, and the ammo is about as cheap as you can get. MHO.

CX

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No personal experience, but saw something on the history channel about Isreali guns and everybody said they liked it but that it was heavy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I own one...it is very accurate. It is heavier than tha AR 15 variants out there but this helps keep recoil way down. I originally was having trouble with stovepipes regardless of which magazine I was using. I took it to a gunsmith and he polished and adjusted the feed ramp, which is pretty small on these guns...now it runs fine. He said the feed ramp had burrs on it and that was the cause of the misfeeds. Runs great now...as I said it is very accurate and well made. They don't lend themselves to easy mount optics unless you replace the front grip with the picaninny rail that has the pistol grip and will mount the scope as well. Biggest pain is after cleaning the gun you have to put the top cover back in place and it is a tight fit...emphasis on tight here! Other than that it is a great gun.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Galils are quite nice. Personally, I want a Galil micro.

Offers the best of the AR/AK worlds IMHO (well, most of).

you get the accuracy and light recoil of the AR, can be modified to take AR mags, and the robust-ness of the kalashnikov.

But yes, as they are made of steel and not aluminum and plastic, they are heavier.

I will say, that I can't think of any gun (except maybe an HK) that can compete with the AR in terms of ergonomics.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I've had mine for two...maybe three years now...it's been a great shooter and I've not once had a single problem. I have about a dozen mags, midway was selling them for 10 a pop not to long ago....wish they were still about 5 dollars each but that's long gone. It's on my list to NFA register it and have the barrel chopped....but that's not going to happen for awhile.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked the Golani up on Friday. I will shoot and post pics after I shoot it this weekend. First impressions are good though. Any advice on removing/replacing the dust cover are welcome.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put 173 rounds through her yesterday. No misfeeds. I wanted to put 200 rounds downrange but the barrel got pretty hot. The heat shield in the handguard tried its best, but I still cooked some of the plastic handguard, producing some smoke. I think that the gost ring sight holds back this guns accuracy, though I am getting better with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Century Golani was horrible.
Jammed frequently. And it keyholed; I did not know what a "keyhole" was until I owned this rifle. Poor accuracy. Terrible metal finish.
Had to have a 'smith grind metal off the dust cover to get it back on. Even then, I had to use a rubber mallet to get it on.
And it was stupidly heavy for a .223, for crissakes! Why carry that extra weight for a mouse round?
I got rid of it and got a AK, and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Century Golani was horrible.
Jammed frequently. And it keyholed; I did not know what a "keyhole" was until I owned this rifle. Poor accuracy. Terrible metal finish.
Had to have a 'smith grind metal off the dust cover to get it back on. Even then, I had to use a rubber mallet to get it on.
And it was stupidly heavy for a .223, for crissakes! Why carry that extra weight for a mouse round?
I got rid of it and got a AK, and I'm glad I did.
I'm sad to hear that your rifle did not work out for you. My example has never jamed, nor keyholed. Accuracy is decent for a ghost ring set up.

When we cut past all of the lard, we need to aknowledge that these rifles are built by Century arms. I realize that I took a gamble (an educated gamble as I did my research before purchasing), and am pleased at the outcome. My rifle shoots 223 and 5.56 ammo reliably into decent groups. I personally have no interest in either round but realize that it may well be the most popular round in America (local pd, National Guard, hometown heroes with m4gerys). Now I have a reliable ak that launches the same round so I can borrow/ share ammo if need be without having to adjust to Stoner's ideas.

I also popped my dust cover on/off during range visit. Tighter than most Aks as the rear sight is mounted on the dust cover allowing a longer sight radius. We don't like sights that dance, so the dust cover is thicker so it locks up rock solid.

Milled stainless steel is heavy, I'll give you that. But shouldering the Golani feels so similar to shouldering the Saiga 308 that I belive this gun will serve well for cheap practice. Then again I prefer Sig pistols, so I just might like heavy guns:cool:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
CAI continues to be hit and miss, but I have to admit I just have to have one of those eventually!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts