Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any books You guys have read on reloading , shooting , etc?
Any must reads or should reads out there anyone has experienced?
Any subject pertaining to the field generally interests me. Techniques, history, evolution of powder and bullets, poems about the smell of gun powder lol , etc etc etc. I mean I can be pretty boring and will read a lot of stuff. So let me know.
Best reference for a book is a fellow reader.

Sorry I didn't specify, all the common load manuals I have access too. I'm looking for the not so common stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Combat Shooting by Massad Ayoob
Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob
In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth by Col. Jeff Cooper

All what I consider "Must Reads" for any true Gun Guy

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Combat Shooting by Massad Ayoob
Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob
In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth by Col. Jeff Cooper

All what I consider "Must Reads" for any true Gun Guy

That's what I'm talking about. Thanks

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
For me, the Lyman 46th was a "must read" and I hope all of the same articles are in the 49th. Having pressure rated data helps the reloader get a handle on the pressure characteristics for different powders used in different cartridges.

Here's another: Quantitative Ammunition Selection - I have not read it myself, but I agree with the authors conclusions regarding testing in water. He's fired enough thousands or tens of thousands of loads in both 10% ordinance gel and water to conclude that his formula for predicting gel penetration is easily more accurate than 1% different between the 2 test mediums. All you have to do is chrono the JHP just before it enters water, measure its recovered diameter and plug those numbers into the formula that he developed. ;)

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Not a book, but Magpul Dynamic Art of the Handgun dvd series. You need that.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For me, the Lyman 46th was a "must read" and I hope all of the same articles are in the 49th. Having pressure rated data helps the reloader get a handle on the pressure characteristics for different powders used in different cartridges.

Here's another: Quantitative Ammunition Selection - I have not read it myself, but I agree with the authors conclusions regarding testing in water. He's fired enough thousands or tens of thousands of loads in both 10% ordinance gel and water to conclude that his formula for predicting gel penetration is easily more accurate than 1% different between the 2 test mediums. All you have to do is chrono the JHP just before it enters water, measure its recovered diameter and plug those numbers into the formula that he developed. ;)
quantatative ammunition selection sounds very interesting. I need a swimming pool!!!!

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
quantatative ammunition selection sounds very interesting. I need a swimming pool!!!!

There ya' go! Might work better than what I'm doing. Pretty sure my intake of 2% Milk has increased in the past few years. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
There ya' go! Might work better than what I'm doing. Pretty sure my intake of 2% Milk has increased in the past few years. ;)
Never heard of the book 'til reading about it here so I got a copy. It is definitely a good read. Thanks.

There's a way around all that milk. Plastic freezer bags!

If you want to keep on keepin' on with what you're doing I get it, but I ran across this blog article written by the author that will probably appeal to anyone who wants to wring the most out of the formula.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Never heard of the book 'til reading about it here so I got a copy. It is definitely a good read. Thanks.

There's a way around all that milk. Plastic freezer bags!

If you want to keep on keepin' on with what you're doing I get it, but I ran across this blog article written by the author that will probably appeal to anyone who wants to wring the most out of the formula.

Thanks for the link, .X. Kinda jokin' about the milk consumption and have considered the storage baggies which would probably distort the results from the formula less. Since we drive 70 miles, one-way, to our gun range, the milk jugs are more of a convenience than anything else, and the extra penetration req'd to go through the layers of plastic I just look at as sinew, cartillage, etc. It will be nice to have the formula, but I've already established my own guideline for penetration from the milk jugs after hearing about Schwartz and how conclusive his research is. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link, .X. Kinda jokin' about the milk consumption and have considered the storage baggies which would probably distort the results from the formula less. Since we drive 70 miles, one-way, to our gun range, the milk jugs are more of a convenience than anything else, and the extra penetration req'd to go through the layers of plastic I just look at as sinew, cartillage, etc. It will be nice to have the formula, but I've already established my own guideline for penetration from the milk jugs after hearing about Schwartz and how conclusive his research is. ;)
Not one for drinking milk myself (I simply detest the stuff) I couldn't imagine having to drink it by the gallon to get enough targets for a decent test, but I get the convenience thing, too. I thought you might be joking, but some people really consume enough milk to make it a feasible option and I didn't wanna offend. :mrgreen:

Either way, it's an excelent book. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you want to learn marksmanship skills, the best literature is free:

Army Marksmanship Unit: Pistol Marksmanship Guide

A great resource, with Bullseye and a very small amount of old PPC info:

Pistol Shooters Treasury, 2nd Ed

If you can't find the AMU book, PM me and I'll email you one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I read the blog article and it raised a concern for me with the energy of the bullet when exiting the 16 inch test block.
My concern would be in a real scenario with the bullet not expanding to or near its potential and exiting a self defense situation, it's remaining energy not creating a potential threat to immediate bystanders is misleading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While I am more concerned about complete misses, I also share your concern for bullets that pass through their target.

I also remember reading while researching this whole thing, although I cannot remember where, that NATO (???) or the DoD (???) considers fragments and bullets in unstable flight having less than 79J (or about 58 foot-pounds) to be "non-hazardous". I think that it is fair to treat a bullet that exits a bad guy as a fragment since it is most likely no longer in stable flight so I've always believed that to be fairly reasonable yardstick. The bullets in that article exited at 120 and 150 fps which I leads me to believe that they'd do little more than smart a little bit at impact.

What I have come away with (and this is strictly my personal gut feel on this) is that so long as a bullet leaves a bad guy's body at no more than 200-225 fps there is little risk of bystander injury. Of course, with the nearly infinite variables of any gunfight, that's a pretty tall order, ain't it? ;-)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I am more concerned about complete misses, I also share your concern for bullets that pass through their target.

I also remember reading while researching this whole thing, although I cannot remember where, that NATO (???) or the DoD (???) considers fragments and bullets in unstable flight having less than 79J (or about 58 foot-pounds) to be "non-hazardous". I think that it is fair to treat a bullet that exits a bad guy as a fragment since it is most likely no longer in stable flight so I've always believed that to be fairly reasonable yardstick. The bullets in that article exited at 120 and 150 fps which I leads me to believe that they'd do little more than smart a little bit at impact.

What I have come away with (and this is strictly my personal gut feel on this) is that so long as a bullet leaves a bad guy's body at no more than 200-225 fps there is little risk of bystander injury. Of course, with the nearly infinite variables of any gunfight, that's a pretty tall order, ain't it? ;-)
So are the bonded pdx1s really a great self defense choice as far as safety for everyone but the bad guy??? I would have to think a bonded bullet would penetrate with a larger percentage of its original mass. Would the fragmenting bullets by Barnes be a better choice? I have some of the MPG bullets to load for rifle calibers and I do like those, the tips are tough and don't deform on semi auto actions. They are tungsten powder filled I believe . I have shot a grapefruit with the Barnes 150gr mpg bullet (in .308) and to say the least the grapefruit all but disappeared and didn't penetrate the plywood I had behind it. I was quite amazed that the grapefruit disbursed and the board behind it stayed safe. now this was at 150 yards or so and muzzle velocity was around 2800 fps if I remember correctly.

If not Barnes what is another good fragmenting bullet with a tough tip for 40 and 45 Semis?
price does not matter to me bc I will test what I need to test and never shoot the rest of them God willing!!!!!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want to learn marksmanship skills, the best literature is free:

Army Marksmanship Unit: Pistol Marksmanship Guide

A great resource, with Bullseye and a very small amount of old PPC info:

Pistol Shooters Treasury, 2nd Ed

If you can't find the AMU book, PM me and I'll email you one.

Hey thanks Jayhawk , I downloaded Army Markmanship PDF. Haven't had the chance to get into it yet, but from skimming it looks right down my alley!!!! is there a rifle guide as well or is in this info. Thanks again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I eat them. And the deer I test will be eaten.
And I'll also add....lol......that I am not taking them for this purpose. I would shoot the deer anyway.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I eat them. And the deer I test will be eaten.
And I'll also add....lol......that I am not taking them for this purpose. I would shoot the deer anyway.

LoL, I gotcha. You just using the carcass after butchering for a ballistics medium. Hell I may ride through the WMA and throw a few on the truck where everyone dumps the bodies and use em for that purpose. . I def ask a DNR first though. Gonna smell great lol
Hoping for cool weather early !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts