Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into a Suppressor and I found the Osprey. I really like the look and features. This will primarily be a pistol suppressor. I typically shoot 9mm and 45acp. What I did like is the fact that the dedicated Osprey 9,40, or 45 are all rated for 300blk subsonic.
But here is where my question is. The Osprey 9 is rated for 9mm or 300blk. The Osprey 45 is rated for 9mm, 40sw, 45, and 300. If I purchase the Osprey 45, what am I losing, or wearing faster by running 9mm through it? Is it not able to quiet down the round as much due to the larger bore?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Good question. I have always wondered if there is downside to using a 45 suppressor with a 9mm.

I would be nice to only have to buy one for all my pistols.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. I have always wondered if there is downside to using a 45 suppressor with a 9mm.

I would be nice to only have to buy one for all my pistols.
Glad my question is relevant to you too! I figure I'm spending around a grand with tax stamp, might as well make sure it can go on as many hosts as possible.

Reactions: Ryno785

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
There shouldn't be any downside. It is possible that since the bore is bigger that you may not be capturing all of the gas escaping, but it's still going to be quiet..

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
You're better off with the Octane. It's user serviceable (can be cleaned), has stainless steel baffles (more durable than the monocore aluminum in the Osprey), and just one ups the osprey in nearly every category. what's better? it's the same price, uses the same pistons and adapters, and i'm probably going to buy one very very soon. like maybe this week.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're better off with the Octane. It's user serviceable (can be cleaned), has stainless steel baffles (more durable than the monocore aluminum in the Osprey), and just one ups the osprey in nearly every category. what's better? it's the same price, uses the same pistons and adapters, and i'm probably going to buy one very very soon. like maybe this week.
I wasn't too concerned with serviceability. My number one was the low profile of the Osprey which would enable me to keep my sights.
Wasn't concerned with serviceability because I shoot quality ammo and already have a Sparrow for 22lr.
I'll look into it though, you can never have too many options. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There shouldn't be any downside. It is possible that since the bore is bigger that you may not be capturing all of the gas escaping, but it's still going to be quiet..

Thanks for the video! Pretty much sums up exactly what I needed to know!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I wasn't too concerned with serviceability. My number one was the low profile of the Osprey which would enable me to keep my sights.
Wasn't concerned with serviceability because I shoot quality ammo and already have a Sparrow for 22lr.
I'll look into it though, you can never have too many options. Thanks!
actually the difference in sight height isn't that much different between the two. if your sights are blocked by the octane, they'll be half blocked by the osprey. that's how minuscule the difference is. besides, you will learn to aim though the can easily enough. you can't see what's behind the front sight anyway.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
besides, you will learn to aim though the can easily enough. you can't see what's behind the front sight anyway.
No I won't......I'll put suppressor height sights on. ;)

If you are going to spend all the money of the stamp and the suppressor, why not spend an extra $100 and put the right sights on it?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
because you don't need to! Unless you need to! Then you absolutely must! but if a guy is getting higher sights anyway, why not go with the better can? amiright.jpg?
Fair enough! It appears my research is not done. I'm just not the biggest fan of shooting with boys open for focus. But I think the key here is do I want general accuracy, or absolute accuracy. I'll mostly be ringing steel so I think I could get by with non elevated sights.
I appreciate the comments. I'm always down to change my mind if I overlooked a key detail!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Ryno785

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was looking into a Suppressor and I found the Osprey. I really like the look and features. If I purchase the Osprey 45, what am I losing, or wearing faster by running 9mm through it? Is it not able to quiet down the round as much due to the larger bore?
Thanks in advance!
I own the Osprey 45 and LOVE it. It sits in front of my XD 9mm, my XDM 40 and my 1911 (45) SA Loaded. I have shot it dry (primarily) and wet (makes a mess, but fun). The can is amazing. I bought the pistons for all three calibers and there's always a fight amongst the kids when we go out to shoot on who gets to shoot it and on which gun. Very comfortable to shoot without earpro.

I have not detected any issues at all running sub-caliber through it. I am also not worried about servicing the can either. I was In SLC for business and stopped by SiCo. They spent about an hour talking me through things (I was new to supressors). They told me not to worry about servicing the can. Unless you absolutely insane with the wire gel shooting wet, you'll never need to clean it. If something does come up and you need it worked on, they take it back as a warranty issue and turn it around in about 24 hours. I know because I had an issue with the locking lever on my can. Called them, explained the situation, got a shipping label to return, got the can back in a day or two. BTW they also recommended I get the 45 so I could take advantage of various calibers.

As far as sight picture, I use Trijicon XD night sights on the XD and XDM. The top of the Osprey is right in line with the top of the front sight so for me there is no issue with losing sight picture. The first can I shot was the traditional barrel and it did extend well above the sights and I had to figure that out.

Buy the 45 and get ready to have a great time!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I own the Osprey 45 and LOVE it. It sits in front of my XD 9mm, my XDM 40 and my 1911 (45) SA Loaded. I have shot it dry (primarily) and wet (makes a mess, but fun). The can is amazing. I bought the pistons for all three calibers and there's always a fight amongst the kids when we go out to shoot on who gets to shoot it and on which gun. Very comfortable to shoot without earpro.

I have not detected any issues at all running sub-caliber through it. I am also not worried about servicing the can either. I was In SLC for business and stopped by SiCo. They spent about an hour talking me through things (I was new to supressors). They told me not to worry about servicing the can. Unless you absolutely insane with the wire gel shooting wet, you'll never need to clean it. If something does come up and you need it worked on, they take it back as a warranty issue and turn it around in about 24 hours. I know because I had an issue with the locking lever on my can. Called them, explained the situation, got a shipping label to return, got the can back in a day or two. BTW they also recommended I get the 45 so I could take advantage of various calibers.

As far as sight picture, I use Trijicon XD night sights on the XD and XDM. The top of the Osprey is right in line with the top of the front sight so for me there is no issue with losing sight picture. The first can I shot was the traditional barrel and it did extend well above the sights and I had to figure that out.

Buy the 45 and get ready to have a great time!
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well, I just called a local lawyer and left a message about setting up a trust Friday evening. I called my bro after to see if he was interested in splitting the costs. His room mate and long time friend graduated from Georgetown last year and just happens to have passed the BAR a month ago.... He said he would set up the trust for free! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts