Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just curious, how many of y'all built your own 1911? tell me about your experience and maybe post up some pics? would like to hear some input. thinking about trying to build my own as a fun little project when my son is older. a fun father son project.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
As in from a bare frame and slide on up?

You really gotta know what you're doing or have a very good teacher.

How familiar are you with the pistol?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
1911s aren't really a DIY project unless you REALLY know what you are doing and have ALL the right tools.

They are nothing like an AR. The difference between an AR and 1911 is like a Lego set vs a 1:30 scale completely detailed(down to moving pistons) model car. I may be exaggerating slightly though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking about bare frame. I know some things like barrel fitting I wouldn't even try touching. But I'm pretty familiar with the 1911. can strip one down to all small parts/ bare frame and slide, and rebuild. but then again I know thats not something you can just buy a part and drop it in. also what I was considering on doing, was trying to find somewhere to learn to actually build a 1911. I found a community college in Illinois that has 1911 gunsmithing classes. and they teach you how to build your own. and I mean like doing all the work. downside its 8 hours south from me :( but I would love to learn how to do it the correct way.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I haven't but I've seen some who've been done poorly so I haven't thought to try and I'm actually pretty good working on guns. Also, it's a lot of money for a gun you will wind up with that is worth very little. Good luck for you and your son on whatever you pick.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well maybe this seems something that is a little over my head. Ill probably them just look into building an AR with him since that would be a little easier

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
well maybe this seems something that is a little over my head. Ill probably them just look into building an AR with him since that would be a little easier
Unfortunately, you will get a lot of discouragement on this forum. Not sure why, but if you have the funds, will and equipment to take on the task, it can be done. I started a build and have it currently on the back burner due to other projects.

Follow this guys series of videos. He has tackled the first timer 1911 build and did a pretty solid job. He also documents and explains the mistakes he made along the way, this helps a LOT.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, you will get a lot of discouragement on this forum. Not sure why, but if you have the funds, will and equipment to take on the task, it can be done. I started a build and have it currently on the back burner due to other projects.

Follow this guys series of videos. He has tackled the first timer 1911 build and did a pretty solid job. He also documents and explains the mistakes he made along the way, this helps a LOT.
whats the guys name?youtube? is it Jay williams? Ive watched his vids, and he did a pretty solid job.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 1st build wasn't 100 percent ground up. I started with a complete slide with a barrel and bushing already fit to it and did the rest from there. My 2nd build was 100 percent done by me. If you have the time and patience to read alot and work with small parts then you can do it. It really is a simple design. If you're interested I'll post more details when at a computer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 1st build wasn't 100 percent ground up. I started with a complete slide with a barrel and bushing already fit to it and did the rest from there. My 2nd build was 100 percent done by me. If you have the time and patience to read alot and work with small parts then you can do it. It really is a simple design. If you're interested I'll post more details when at a computer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
yea sounds good man.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you are near NC and have 3 weeks, this is an amazing opportunity to take a class with Mr. Bob Marvel, one of the best BE pistol makers in America. I've seen several 1.5" and one 1" 1911 made by students in the league. Truly on my bucket list. Course fills up FAST, so you'll need to be ready for the next years enrollment to get in.

NRA Courses

Basic 1911: Bob Marvel- FULL/WAITLISTED
May 5-9 (M-F)
Cost $125 plus $60 supply fee
This basic level 1911 class will teach the skills and steps necessary to tune your 1911 style handgun to perform at its best. Reliability tuning and trigger work will be the primary focus of the class. Other 1911 topics will be analyzed and discussed as they arise.

Advanced 1911: Bob Marvel- FULL/WAITLISTED
May 12-23 (M-F, no weekends)
Cost $180 plus $60 supply fee
This is an advanced level class for students who have already completed a previous Marvel class. Material presented in this class will expand upon skills taught in the Basic 1911 class. Students will receive advanced additional instruction on extracting the maximum precision, reliability, and shootability out of the 1911. Advanced machining and checkering will be among the additional material for this class. Students will build a complete custom 1911 during the course of this class. Marvel’s Custom 1911 class is a prerequisite for this course.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I'd say if you buy a pre-fit slide (with sight cuts) and frame from Caspian, most of the machining-intensive stuff will be done and it should be doable. Also, a pre-fit barrel will make life a lot easier. You should be able to fit it by reading the instructions. Applying a finish would be the last major hurdle.

Start researching, and then figure out if you want to move forward from there.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If you are near NC and have 3 weeks, this is an amazing opportunity to take a class with Mr. Bob Marvel, one of the best BE pistol makers in America. I've seen several 1.5" and one 1" 1911 made by students in the league. Truly on my bucket list. Course fills up FAST, so you'll need to be ready for the next years enrollment to get in.

NRA Courses

Basic 1911: Bob Marvel- FULL/WAITLISTED
May 5-9 (M-F)
Cost $125 plus $60 supply fee
This basic level 1911 class will teach the skills and steps necessary to tune your 1911 style handgun to perform at its best. Reliability tuning and trigger work will be the primary focus of the class. Other 1911 topics will be analyzed and discussed as they arise.

Advanced 1911: Bob Marvel- FULL/WAITLISTED
May 12-23 (M-F, no weekends)
Cost $180 plus $60 supply fee
This is an advanced level class for students who have already completed a previous Marvel class. Material presented in this class will expand upon skills taught in the Basic 1911 class. Students will receive advanced additional instruction on extracting the maximum precision, reliability, and shootability out of the 1911. Advanced machining and checkering will be among the additional material for this class. Students will build a complete custom 1911 during the course of this class. Marvel’s Custom 1911 class is a prerequisite for this course.
Oooooh those classes would be a blast!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Him and whoever teaches the Cylinder and Slide classes. Yes. I can't remember if it's Tom Laughridge that does them or not...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts