Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just got my service xd40 today and loving it. I squeezed off about 160rds today and had a real good time doing it.

I'm finding that I have a problem with anticipation and i keep dropping the muzzle and so my shots, although relatively narrowly grouped hits low of intended target everytime. I know that practice is probably the only way to really get over this an i know. My question is this, do any of you have any advice or tips on what things i could do to help me work on this mistake?

Thanks in advance.

Eric.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
A lot of times if you're looking over the slide at the target just after the shot to see where your round hit, you'll tend to shoot low.

Also, bring the pistol UP to eye level rather than holding it low and bending your head down to get behind the sights.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your shots are grouped fairly well, but low, it's likely you aren't anticipating the shot. A guess would be that you're squeezing your hand at the same time you're squeezing the trigger, and that's pulling the shots low by a consistent amount. From what I've seen, anticipating recoil will throw shots wildly, since you never "jerk" the same amount each time.

To find out, I think the suggestion of dry firing is a great one. Make sure the gun is safe, put the ammunition in a whole different room, then make sure it's safe a second time. Watch the sights the entire time you squeeze the trigger. Watch what happens when the gun goes click. Ideally, nothing should happen. Practice that until nothing happens to the sights, when the gun goes click, then when you're at the range, do that. :)

Hope that helps.

Scott

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
dry fire and use dummy rounds

·
Registered
513 Posts
Have someone else load your mags and throw in some snap caps so you dont know where they are. Also helps with malfunction drills. And like you said, practice

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
BigBob68 said:
Have someone else load your mags and throw in some snap caps so you dont know where they are. Also helps with malfunction drills. And like you said, practice
+1, I've done this and it works wonders.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've heard and tried, I think it was someone from this forum, to put a quarter on top of the slide near the front sight and dry fire it, whilst aimed at a 'target'. If the quarter falls off, you're flinching.

Another reminder. Take all safety precautions prior to the drill.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the tips guys... i'll do plenty of dry firing to check what i'm doing wrong... i still think i'm flinching though in anticipation. But i went to the range again today and squeezed off another 150rds and its getting a little better... but still consistently low.

Oh and hey, can any of you tell me why this is happening: After a long period of shooting my trigger finger is sore at the lower half of where i touch the trigger, like i'm getting a bruise... is it just from my finger absorbing and vibration of the recoil or wat?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts