Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I had a XD .40 and Traded it in on a new XD 9mm about 6 months ago and of cource I LOVE IT. I cannot decide on if I should get another XD Sub or try out a glock (small one)or possibly one of those Taurus semi auto's. I love shooting my XD but I thought maybe another type of gun would be a change and make it fun! I also have a S&W .22 and a Taurus .357. What do you guy's think? Should I try out a Glock this time?

Brian

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Try something new!

NExt gun I REALLY want is a para ordenance. But they are too expensive for me.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
Both are nice guns and I doubt you could go wrong with either. You'll pay a little more for a comparable Glock. But if you haven't tried both, I would encourage you to do so. See which one fits in your hand and feels the best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey,

I have the XD 9mm Subcompact and love the piece, it is a pleasure to shoot compared to a Glock 26 I was looking to get.

I also have a Glock 19, 9mm compact that is also great. I'm not knocking the G26, it just felt real stiff on the slide release though and that really swayed my decision to go to the XD 9 Sub.

I would go with the G19 if you went with the Glock, but you already have a compact in the XD 9, try the G26 subcompact, it is a real popular gun, I guess the slide stiffness would lighten up over time.

Ed

·
Registered
359 Posts
Why not look at a SiG, Walther, or H&K too. There are too many choices of good firearms to consider. More than likely, you'll end up getting the flavor of the week, then you'll be "forced" to get something different.

I'm in a similar predicament. I want more XDs, but I also would like a Smithy .357 and a Kimber 1911. I thought about curing my .45 lust with a .45 GAP XD, but then I realize, the GAP is not a "real" .45, ah well. I already have two other plastic pistols; I think it's time for more substantial ones (KIMBER). Though, I remain impressed with the functioning of all of my polymer pistols... I just can't decide. :(

-stunks

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Try a Glock...who knows.

The grip angle on the Glocks does not agree with me at all. Too many years of shooting 1911s, Hi-Powers and a Sig,I guess.

You might find, as I did, that you have a tendency to shoot high with the Glocks, due to the swept back grip angle. If so, maybe a pistol with a similar grip angle to the XD pistols might be a better choice. The 1911s, Hi-Power, CZ-75s, Sigs all have similar grip angles...you might want to try them first. A Sig or Hi-Power in 40SW is a thing of beauty...expensive...but oh so worth it.

Don't rule out a lower level 1911 and going up to the 45acp caliber, like the Springfield Armory GI series...you might find why the rest of us are so devoted to the 1911 platform. John MOses Browning was a genuis, period!

The Glock is not a bad pistol, don't get me wrong, but I know lots of peopel have trouble transitioning between the very different grip angles.

YMMV

-Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
I would vary my collection, and try out as many things as I could.
+1

Then, you'll find the gun that really tickles your fancy and you'll buy another, then you'll accessorize it, then you'll buy an older one and turn it into your "project" gun...(repeat cycle) :lol:

They're an addiction my friend...welcome to the sickness!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The curve on the Glock 26 fits right in the palm, so there isn't a grip angle issue like the full size Glock. Did I mention it's perfect? But of course you can't go wrong either way. When I DO buy a sub XD, or win one in a contest, it will be a 40. Variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To me Its all about your comfort level. Try them both.
How well dose it fit in your hands , dose it feel right and how dose it shoot in your hands.
Both are good . But its what feels good and comfortable in your hands that counts not ours. My personal opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guy's! I took the plunge today and bought a Glock 26, It seem's to fit good but it will take some time getting use to the small grip. I dont think I will ever like it better than my XD, I just love that XD. Any way I will let you all know how it shoot's this weekend. Now I need a holster for the thing.

Brian

·
Registered
84 Posts
For about the same price as the XD and cheaper than a Glock is the Springfield 1911 45acp GI model. This is a plain jane 1911 but easily upgradable to a comp trigger and hammer....beaver tail....etc. Best bang for your 45acp buck IMHO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It was just an excuse for me to post a picture of a holster. An expensive Galco too. Check one out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
blaib,

Good choice and happy shooting with your new G26, did you get the Pearce Grip Extensions for the mags? I think they help with the grip comfort.

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Try out the Glock 20, 10MM...AWESOME! You will have 10MM punch(go to double tap if u want proof), firepower, and excellent accuracy and reliability, all in one package! This is one gun that does what very few others ever have. TRY IT! :wink: You can also purchase the Glock 6 inch hunting barrel and go boar hunting....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is the 10mm more powerful that the .45 ACP? I would think the 10mm is only a bit larger than a 9mm bullet.

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 10MM (when loaded to it's full potential) is in a completely different ballpark than the most common auto-pistol rounds, .45 acp., .40 s&w, 9mm. In fact, you could refer to the 10MM as a .40 s&w magnum. Actually the .40 smith is a shortened, much weaker version of the 10MM. This round still has a huge following! Trust me,I've had them all, sigs, berettas,etc. Noone else makes anything like the Glock 20, it gives you the best of both worlds(muscle AND firepower). It is to date the most accurate out of the box pistol I've ever owned,and everyone who owns one says the same. Go to Glocktalk and do your homework! You can also go to www.10mmtalk ,to learn more about the most versatile auto pistol cartridge in existence.I'm still waiting for an XD 10MM. :wink:

·
Registered
158 Posts
An XD in 10mm sounds like an interesting idea. Does the Glock in 10mm have a larger frame and slide like their 45 autos? (besides the slim G36) Even if it didn't sell very well, SA could bring on a XD 10mm, if anything to offer more competition to Glock. Competition is good, right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts