Votes: 1 2.9%
  • others?

Votes: 10 29.4%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been putting money aside from my paychecks for a new pistol. I am pretty sure I want a 1911, but I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Alot of thumbs ups for the ria, springfields and remmingtons, but I've seen other ones too...like the suto ordnance....thoughts and opinions please?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
STI, The new ruger seems to be a good price as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Don't over look STI. While most of their 1911's are pricey, the Spartan is reasonably priced. They run right around $600-$650. That would put you pretty close to the Springfield or remigton price. Maybe just a little more. I have custom built Trojan and love it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently bought my first 1911 (far from my first handgun). The store I purchased it from had over 6 dozen different makes and model in stock and I looked at all the ones listed in your poll. I ended up with the SA mil-spec because the workmanship seemed superior and it just felt right in my hand.

I'm not putting down the RI, R1 or STI, I'm just saying that the SA looked and felt worth the extra $ to me.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Also do you plan on adding on any aftermarket parts? My first 1911 was a loaded SA target, great gun but little could be done of mods. After I had sold it for my xdm9 I bought a RIA tactical. Not the prettiest, but it let me mod it to my desire. Can't go wrong with milspecs, but sights out the box are not that great unless you perfer them. IMO if you like better finishes skip the RIA and get a SA loaded or other similar 1911

·
Registered
800 Posts
I recently bought my first 1911 (far from my first handgun). The store I purchased it from had over 6 dozen different makes and model in stock and I looked at all the ones listed in your poll. I ended up with the SA mil-spec because the workmanship seemed superior and it just felt right in my hand.

I'm not putting down the RI, R1 or STI, I'm just saying that the SA looked and felt worth the extra $ to me.
The springfields are nice too. I had a Springfield loaded that I traded, only because I got 2 guns for my one and made out real nice. I wouldn't mind a trp but when you compare them to a sti or others, they're not worth it to me.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I pretty much just want a basic 1911. I don't need anything fancy, and I'm not a competition shooter. I'm leaning towards the sa milspec. I'm surprised no one has any opinions on the auto ordnance pistols. They seem pretty solid from the reviews in combat handguns and guns n ammo. And kahr makes them.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
STI Spartan all the way if you want a gun with adjustable sights, nice clean trigger, etc. I have one from when they first introduced them and its by far the best bang for the buck.

If you want milspec, I would go with a RIA for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.