Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to my local range. They have a dozen or so targets they sell (I do print my own....it's cheaper, but sometimes I forget to bring them...I just stop at the range on my way home from work and am unprepared).

So I will generally buy one silhouette target and a few of the small bullseye targets. I practice with the silhouette target by shooting with both eyes open and not sighting.....I shoot at realistic (home) defensive distances. I generally have no problem hitting COM at 10 yards without using the sights at all. No problem. Double tap, etc. I never seem to miss at that range.

But the small bulls eye targets have me stumped. The have printed on them "25 yard slow fire pistol target".

I'll be damned if I can even hit the paper at 25 yards even half the time no matter how carefully I aim. Yes, I can hit the thing with a long or even medium length barrel .22 target type gun like a Ruger.

Am I really that bad? Should I be able to hit the paper regularly at 25 yard with a Subcompact? Should I be able to ever hit a bullseye at 25 yards? Are people THAT good? Seems more like a rifle kind of range to me.

Is it me? Is it the gun? Is it a combination of the two?

What kind of gun is generally used to compete at 25 yards? Can anyone compete with a 3 inch barrel in 9mm?

Am I just wasting bullets even trying? Or will I get it with practice? (does not seem likely). If I aim carefully, I can almost put a full clip through one hole at 7 yards. How can I be so much worse at 25 yards?

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The subcompact was not designed to be a 25 yrd target/bullseye pistol, I just sold mine after 8 months and can tell you that I could hit the target @25 yrds but with no accuracy good enough to hit the bullseye regularly.

Between 3 -15 yrds it's very very good and @ 10yrds you can shoot bulls all day long with it.

Don't worry what the targets have printed on them, just start at around 5-7 yrds and put a lot of ammo downrange and as you get used to it you'll be able to shoot farther away.

3" barreled pistols are actually much harder to shoot than 5" or full size pistols due to the shorter barrel being more sensitive to poor trigger technique, flinching, milking the grip, etc.

The real key to being good with a subcompact pistol is Practise, Practise & more Practise! :wink:

Good Luck & Good Shootin' :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Dont believe anyone who says they shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Leatham himself says he couldnt do it with any consistency.

Just worry about your own shooting. Start out at short ranges, then move back when your technique improves.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NExd said:
Dont believe anyone who says they shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Leatham himself says he couldnt do it with any consistency.
I have no doubt this is true. I may be somewhat old and decrepit, but my hand-eye coordination is probably still better than average (ex- professional athlete).

As a hobby...target shooting...what is a reasonable length barrel? I mean obviously with a 10 inch barrel .22 target pistol it seems like it would be hard to miss anything. But to me, that's almost like shooting a rifle.

So I guess my question is when I see "25 yard slow fire pistol target" what does that mean? What kind of pistol is used for that range? Is that a standard competition range for a particular kind of pistol?

Clearly my 3" is not adequate. And a 10" gun seems like it would be cheating.

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've started shooting the 11x17 (something like that) silhouettes at 50ft to try to improve my consistency. I shoot with both eyes open, and about 1 shot/sec. I just try to keep all shots within an 8" circle. The bigger targets like that help a lot with the sight picture.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dont believe anyone who says they shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Leatham himself says he couldnt do it with any consistency
I can put all 10 rnds. through the same hole at 25 yards. Or at least make you think that I did :) Make one good shot and the shoot really fast below the paper then tell everybody they went through the same hole.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
the sub is perfectly accurate for "combat range". do yourself a favor and buy the pearce grip extension. i gurantee your groups improve.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
nikon777 said:
the sub is perfectly accurate for "combat range". do yourself a favor and buy the pearce grip extension. i gurantee your groups improve.
i'll second the extensions. i can't imagine shooting the subby w/o it, and as a bonus, it doesn't really add that much to the size.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
jpxj94 said:
Dont believe anyone who says they shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Leatham himself says he couldnt do it with any consistency
I can put all 10 rnds. through the same hole at 25 yards. Or at least make you think that I did :) Make one good shot and the shoot really fast below the paper then tell everybody they went through the same hole.
Ya! Your Texican allright... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts