Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. This was my first attempt. A lot of trial and error involved, but I am happy with the outcome. The texture is great, really grabs my hand. No more slipping for sure. If I can find pics of the job I did on my friends XD9, I'll post those too.

*Edit: Added pics*

My XD45:

My friends XD9(also my work):

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice job, it looks balanced and even.
Thanks I appreciate it. I am really happy with the job I did on my friends XD. I wish had practiced more and had the right equipment before I did mine. Aesthetically I am a bit disappointed with the asimetric patterns, but the function is near perfect. I learned some good lessons though. Even after reading several threads and watching videos on how to do it ther is really no substitute for patience and practice when doing this. Because I was less than patient some of the stippling on my 45 is to aggressive(deep). I carry it every day iwb and it gathers a lot of lint. I have to run a toothbrush over fairly often. Since doing my 45 I bought some cheap plastic clip boards from Wally world and practiced on those. I think that it why I was able to my friends XD so much better. I also went back with the same pattern on the 45. That's what you see on the non raised areas and above the trigger.
I guess the moral is if youre going to do this take your time and practice a lot first. Perfect the pattern you want before you start on the gun. It also helps to play around with different tips.

Question? How many have added permanent texture to there guns(whether DIY or other)?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I can't see all the pics, just a few of the first post.

Nice and neat but the stipple seems to be more for show than actually improving the grip while shooting.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Nice and neat but the stipple seems to be more for show than actually improving the grip while shooting.
Actually, I feel like it does improve mine. Particularly on pistols with small or thin grips. All my polymer pistols wear either stick-on grips or have frame textures done to them. I like the added insurance. What if your hand had water, mud, blood, ect. on it when it came time to draw your weapon in self-defense? A grippier grip can't hurt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't see all the pics, just a few of the first post.

Yeah i Messed that up while organizing My photobucket i think. I'll post a link to my album when I can.

You'd be surprised how much it grabs the hand. I also think that the raised areas don't look like they would help but they do. I'm actually thinking about melting them down though, and redoing them to match the pattern everywhere else which literally feels like sand paper. I cant begin to tell you how much this grip will not slip in my hand.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I know about the stipple helping you grip. I've done a stipple job on my tactical. Just saying that the area's done look good but there could be more texture.

This is what I did with mine. I'm left handed so I added texture to the area where my weak hand grabs the frame. Well heck I can't find a pic of mine what shows all the grip. I'll have take a pick so I can post it.

Think more of what ThinkMud did on his.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/155880-xd9sc-stippling-job-yet-another.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts