Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used XD .357 Sig 4" bbl a couple of months ago. The original owner had replaced the guide rod and spring. It looks like a Don's Guide Rod. I've fired several hundred rounds through the gun with no issues other than 2 misfires from some bulk ammo. Anyway, after putting a couple hundred rounds through it last week, I came home to strip and clean my guns, but the XD slide would not release. It is caught on something. <update: I just read a few posts about the guide spring being off-center, so that may be my issue> I notice that the slide release pin seems like it may be rubbing against something when I try to turn it, too. It's possible I put the spring backwards last time I striped and cleaned it. The aftermarket spring is open-ended on one end (unlike the assembly on m XD45) and has a small washer. The other end is completely flush. After stripping my Kahr that has a similar spring, I realize that I had inserted the spring in the XD in the opposite direction. Not sure if it is that, or if I just didn't have it centered.

So I'm pretty sure I'm screwed as this was an aftermarket part, that was possibly installed wrong. Can't expect SA to cover my mistakes. However, after the local armorer could not tap the slide off with a mallet, I'm at the point of shipping it back to SA for repair. Herein lies my question: I have night sights for the gun that I also want installed. I'm also interested in a trigger set, perhaps along the lines of the Springer or similar. I see SA offers these things in package deals, so if I have to ship it back to them for repair anyway, I may go that route.

I'll be reading up on the wealth of info located here in the forums already, but if anyone cares to give me some info or opinions in the meantime, I'd sure appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't think it would fire/cycle if it was a centering problem.
Magazine is removed, slide locked back, lever flipped up, slide allowed to gently move forward till it stops then trigger pulled, right?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
If you put the open end the wrong direction the spring has slipped a couple of coils over the head of the guide rod. If you can get the take down lever in the up position you should be good to go. The spring is stuck because of the extra diameter around the head of the guide rod in the locking block. Remove the front locking block pin (start on the ejection port side and tap it out towards the take down lever). That will give you a little bit more room to move as you start to get the slide off. Now you will have to force the slide off take a rubber mallet and tap the back of the slide. You will only have to force it about a 1/2 inch until you clear the locking block and the slide will suddenly release. Now look at your guide rod and you will see that the spring has slipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had replaced my guide rod in my XD9411 with a Brownells XD9MM/40Cal Black 5 Guide Rod. (I had my original guide rod go flying off into the nether due to my carelessness :cry:

I shot 50 rounds of 9mm with no problem. When I went to clean my XD9, the slide would not come off (after following the entire proper procedure) until I tapped the slide with a rubber hammer. It then came right off.

Thank you for the thorough discussion, as tapping the slide worked to get my slide off, permitting me to clean my XD9 :)

regards,
Peter AI6PG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts