Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really contemplating getting another SA gun. I really like the XDM 40 or 9mm compact bitone. I already have a XD 40 compact, but the XDMc is just so damn nice looking. I would like to get the 9 so that my wife and daughter could shoot it more comfortably than my 40. Now I really don't need another gun but adding to the arsenal would be nice. My daughter (who is 10) has been with me to the shooting range numerous times shooting my dads little 7 shot 22 revolver. A real POS, but hey she likes to shoot it and its cheap to shoot. Anyways some of the people I have met at the range have let her shoot some of their handguns and she really likes shooting the Walther P22.

Do I just get the Walther or go for the SA? I believe the Walther would allow more time with my daughter and my wife as this gone is more manageable. Mind you my wife is 102 pounds and my daughters are petite themselves.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I would go for the Walther P22 for now, moving up to 9mm might be a little much for them. Once they get a lot of time and really seem to like handgun shooting, then get the XD(M) Compact in 9mm, or try the Makarov 9x18 as an in between.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 on going with a .22 - much more cheaper and manageable to shoot than a 9mm, and a gun your ladies enjoy shooting will go a long ways toward your gaining lifelong shooting partners. If your daughter is pretty happy with the fit and function of the Walther, then sounds like a great choice, but might not hurt to let her try a Ruger MII or III, a 22/45, a Buckmark, etc . . . heck, even a (non POS) revolver! She might really find one that hits the sweet spot. And if it's her gun, she'll enjoy it even more!

When the time comes for a bigger gun for her/them to shoot, don't get so hooked on another compact for you that they don't try out a full size or two for them . . . . . many ladies (and men) find the full size frames more manageable as a range gun. A friend of mine recently purchased her first pistol after a few months of shooting mine, she tried out both a Glock 19 (compact 9mm) and a G22 (full size .40) side by side . . . . she shot both well, but shot the G22 better and felt the recoil of the .40 was much more manageable for her than that of the compact even tho it was a 9mm. She finally chose the yes it is very damn nice looking XDm 40S&W 4.5" Bi-tone. She loves it, hits very well with it and manages the recoil as well as any man. She's also a fairly petite woman.

Good luck and have fun, what a great reason to add to the collection!!!!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts