Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm putting a new piece of glass on one of my rifles.

Caliber is .308

Rifle is a Remington 700

Intended use will be target shooting 200-800m and maybe some hunting

Suffice it to say I was bitten by the "cheap optics bug" and it sucks....

I've been studying what I would consider good mid-range price glass and I'd like some opinions.

Here are the two I'm considering :

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm, Mil-Dot, $289

Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40mm, Duplex, $455

I've read the reviews, both have great reviews. Both come with no-bull**** lifetime warranties.

All the kool-aid drinkers at the shop have been trying to convince me to buy the Leupold, but noone yet has given me an adequate reason to spend another $175.

Tell me why I should drop the extra $175 of my hard earned dough on the Leupold over the Nikon.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
They say you should spend as much or more on your glass as on your gun, but I am a cheap bastard. I AM getting fed up with zoom scopes changing thier zero and really with scopes in general.
Just my obviously useless $0.02s worth lol

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I went with the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm, mil-dot on my remington 700 sps,but I did use Leupold rings & base plate.The scope has held it's zero and I like the clearness of the nikon put a 4" sun shade on it and it looks evil :evil:!But it's just for varmints of corse :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My experience has shown that if you like eye relief, you will like leupolds. I used to have bushnell on my .270 which had about an inch and a half eye relief on it. I HATED that, so I "upgraded" to a nikon, which wasn't much better. I finally spent the cash on a leupold vx-II, and now enjoy being able to sit back as much as 5 inches and still have a full field of view. I've never had any issues with maintaining the zero on it, whether its at 9x or 3x, I can adjust the zoom without any problems.

Plus its American made by an American company, if that makes any difference to you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would go with the Leupold. If you are just shooting targets with it you can go cheaper too. I put a BSA on my 700 police and it is dead accurate as my M24 was. Difference is I dont beat the hell out of the rifle, I just got it to throw rounds at paper so why spend over 1g on a scope.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Another one to add to the confusion A Bushnell elite 4200. Less than the Leupy but every bit the quality. I currently have 3 A 8-32x a 6-24x and a 3-9x. All are brighter than my Leupold VX3 3-9 and with the raingaurd coating on the lenses foul weather hunts are much easier, raindrops or melting snow don't obscure your view.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another one to add to the confusion A Bushnell elite 4200. Less than the Leupy but every bit the quality. I currently have 3 A 8-32x a 6-24x and a 3-9x. All are brighter than my Leupold VX3 3-9 and with the raingaurd coating on the lenses foul weather hunts are much easier, raindrops or melting snow don't obscure your view.
Are the bushnells manufactured here or in China?

I'm done with anything that's produced by Chinese labor.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Are the bushnells manufactured here or in China?

I'm done with anything that's produced by Chinese labor.
I believe they are made here Elite series, Japaneese camera quality lenses. Check them out I Gaurentee you'll like them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts