Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I stumbled upon this site about two months ago when I started researching various handguns. I am in Iraq right now making a little extra money, and I’ve always wanted to start a collection of my own. So I figured what better time to research it than when I’m sitting on my bum in the middle of the desert. But this is where I run into a dilemma. There are so many great firearms out there that I can’t decide.

I think my first purchase will defiantly be the XD, but I don’t know which caliber I should get. I know that I should go fire them and see what is best for me and everything, but I’d like to hear your opinions. I was reading up on the 357 SIG round, and it seemed rather impressive, and I like the low cost of the 9mm. I just don’t know. I will most likely get a larger caliber, and then get the 9mm drop in for it. I’ve also heard about the XD 45 LE, and am somewhat interested. The reason I hesitate about the larger round is because I’ve noticed that the larger rounds have less “psi” on the target. For example, the 5.56mm round will go through ¼ inch metal plate at 15 yards, whereas the 7.62 round will only make a dent. I know this is bad as far as penetration and knock down goes, but I’m not looking for a home self defense weapon. I want something that will go through glass, metal and what not to get to my target. Now I doubt the military will ever let me take my personal handgun with me to combat, but I’d like to be prepared if they ever did.

Another concern I have is about competition shooting. I would really like to get into the sport, but I don’t know what I need, or what kind of limitations they have as far as drop in barrels. So I guess I would want my “stock” XD to be my comp weapon when I start out. Wow, I feel like I’m rambling, but all this to say, or ask rather, If I am looking to get after market barrels of various caliber, but I want a competition ready weapon, which caliber should I purchase my first XD in?

Thanks so much for your replies and all the good information on this site. I have so many questions, so I’m sure I’ll be posting some more in the future. And feel free to ask whatever about anything you think I might know, and I’ll be glad to help you out. Unless it’s super secret, and then I’d have to kill you after I told you. Lol, well anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well thanks for being where you are! The 45gap looks pretty good, but as of yet I don't think there are conversion barrels for it. If there was a 45 to 40 conversion barrel that would be a sweet setup. Otherwise, the 40 and 357 can be converted (as I understand it) back and forth with barrels and both will accept a 9mm barrel. As far as knockdown vs penetration vs whatever other technical term is in style.... you have stumbled across a great debate, and good luck finding the truth in it. I will leave that to you.

For competition, you might be interested in getting a second gun (5 inch 9mm, port it.... don't get me started). The optimal trigger for comps is not always perfect for a carry gun.

Good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted on how things are going over there.

MC

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Welcome and THANK YOU.

If you're looking for penetration I would have to think that 9mm, +P, FMJ is going to be your best bet (in general, highest velocity, smallest diameter, hardest nose). .357SIG is gonna be no slouch too. My advice would be to get a .40 tactical, then get the conversion barrels. Tactical because it'll likely give you a little more velocity with the longer barrel. Or, you can get the .45 LE tactical and wait for conversion barrels to come available.

The XD is a fantastic weapon...but if you want REAL penetration go for the FN Five-Seven. 20 armor piercing rounds in the mag (5.7x28), lightweight, excellent stopping power. I wanna get one just because some legislators state-side are starting to mumble about banning it. Check it out here:
http://remtek.com/arms/fn/57/

Once again, thank you and welcome. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that 57 looks like the ticket. I wish I were back in the states, hopefully it wont be banned by the time that I get back. I think I am going to wait out the .45 GAP and see if they come up with the barrels for it. I’ve got nothing but time. I’d also like to get an m-4 style carbine, hopefully we don’t get all kinds of crazy banns while I’m away. But I guess if they do I’ll just have to smuggle back some AK’s.:twisted: Er, I mean…uh…we don’t do stuff like that. Anyways, thanks for the advice. Cant wait to get home. :wink:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I'd go for the XD-40 Tactical model. You mentioned penetration...thats great when you're in combat, but I don't know if you want the penetration of the 357sig or the +P 9mms if you're going to be living close to others. Some of those 9mm and 357sig load would fly right through several layers of drywall. If I lived in close housing or an apaerment, I'd be worriied if I shot an intruder...or missed him...that the bullet wouldf go through several walls and injure or kill an innocent person.

With the 40SW, you can get low penetration loads AND the hotter high-penetration stuff. The 40SW is also much cheper for practice ammo than the 45GAP. The 40SW has been around a while and is proven and is a mainstream caliber. The 45GAP, while it immitates the 45acp, is too new and may become a niche product, like the 10mm, 41AE or 9x23. Hey, I have been around long enough to see calibers come and go and people went apeshit over these other calibers, when they first came out, too...stick with something tried and true.

The XD-40 Tactical model would also be a plus in competition and you could buy 357 sig or 9mm barrels later on, if you want them.

I just think that for the money spent, you'd do well with the XD-40 Tactical. Its a pleasant pistol to shoot and it would not be hard at all to carry this thing concealed.

Be safe and keep your head down over there...ok. Some here REALLY do admire what you're doing (me included).

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for defending my family!

45 gap looks good...

I'd buy the 40 and conversion barrels.
or the 45 gap if the conversion barrels will fit it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
sjp2452 said:
The XD is a fantastic weapon...but if you want REAL penetration go for the FN Five-Seven. 20 armor piercing rounds in the mag (5.7x28), lightweight, excellent stopping power. I wanna get one just because some legislators state-side are starting to mumble about banning it. Check it out here:
http://remtek.com/arms/fn/57/
Yeah man, I hear you on that Five-Seven. That is one sick a$$ handgun. Holds 20 armor piecing rounds, no muzzle flip (shoots like a .22 from what I hear), SUPER light, roughly the same form factor as any standard issue handgun, and the law makers hate it. Just my kinda gun. :twisted: Seriously tho. If you want penetration, that's the one bro. Retail is $1k but I've seen it as low as $699 in a CDNN Catalog.

Here is some more info on it if you care....
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg18-e.htm
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_144_24/ai_57886949

If you want a nice daily carry or competition type gun on a budget, the XD is the way to go. That .45GAP looks like a great candidate IMO. I have a .40 4" Service in bi-tone that I love. Plan to get the ported .357SIG EFK barrel for it if I get off my lazy ass and buy it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Anyone know if the Five-Seven is legal in Florida or otherwise violates Federal Law? I would also like to know if anyone knows of a reputable dealer of this weapon... I want to pick one up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For competition I would go with the 9mm for cheap ammo and quicker follow up shots. Much of competition is about getting multiple shots on target quickly, so the 9 would be an advantage.

If you get a 40 and then the 9mm drop in barrel you will spend a lot of money on the 9 barrel. That kind of negates the cost savings of the cheaper 9mm ammo unless you shoot an awful lot. It might make sense just to get one caliber or the other.

9mm ammo is the standard for the military, so it should be available to you free while in the combat zone, no? NATO 9mm is more powerful than off the shelf civilian 9mm in the USA. It is +p already, so you will have a potent round for defensive uses if necessary. One bonus of the 9mm is you can carry more rounds, which might be of interest since you could be facing multiple aggressors in combat.

I've got a service model 40cal and it is very, very accurate and has been completely reliable. I would suggest a solid guide rod, either Don's or from Wolff.

If you are pretty serious about trying competition, be advised that IDPA prohibits ported barrels. Otherwise any of the XDs would be fine for competition.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I have no strong opinions on weapons choice, just focus on the basics when you get it.
Mainly thanks for serving. :!:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I really like my 9mm XD Tactical and ammo is found everywhere.

God's Blessings to you and yours.
Get home soon and bust some caps! 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice, I’ve come close to “busting some caps” a few times, but luckily it didn’t have to come to that. My job doesn’t really require me to be on the offensive, but if anything ever happens I’ll be more than ready to be on the defensive. I’m still undecided as to what I want, but that makes it that much more fun. I get to research everything. It’s cool that SA finally put the .45 on their website, it’s about time. As far as the competition side goes…are there different caliber events? Or is it separated by class, like auto, revolver, ect. Does anyone have a good web link that would explain all the different competition events? I want to get something that will let me compete at an event that I’m good at. All of your advice is defiantly influencing my decision. The price of a drop in would kind of negate the money I would save on ammo. I want to get the S&W 327 too, so maybe that could be my “big gun”, and I could get the tactical xd9 for my “practical” weapon. Is the XD9 really smaller than the 40? I read that somewhere. Well thanks. We appreciate everything you guys do to support us.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The 9mm and .40 XD's are the same size. There are subcompact versions of both that many like for concealed carry. I'd imagine a sub .45GAP isn't too far out.

Stay safe, and get home soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts