Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy the glock 26. That is until I found the XD sub. Love at first sight. I'm about to buy one, but have seen some concerns with parts wearing out after 2600 + rounds. I picked these instructions of another website's discussion-

Springfield XD tips (mostly for sub-compact model)
Added by john from arizona on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 9:11 PM
This basically concerns the sub-compact model. I have sold quite a few and during a short time before x-mas a young man brought his XD subcompact back and exclaimed that he was having failures to extract and jams. There are some little tricks that will work often on this type of weapon with this issue. Notice I said "type" (Glocks, Taurus, you name it)* When dealing with a dual-coil spring system many companies over engineer them especially for weapons that are DESIGNED to shoot 100's of thousands of rounds and the XD is one of them. The spring system as it comes from the factory will be generally 1.5-2lbs too heavy, this coupled with a well made, powerful mag spring and a massive slide (the XD has THE most massive slide for it's type & one of the heaviest barrels, I believe)is an adept description of the XD sub-compact. What to do? The first issue is to lighten the dual system. - Simple, leave the pistol with the slide locked back for several days. Load the magazines to capacity and leave them also for about 3-5 days also. The weapon is a production gun. It is not a custom item.....Shoot about 50 rounds and find the contact points....use 1200 wet/dry paper w/ a little WD40 on it and GENTLY smooth the METAL contact points IN THE DIRECTION OF MOVEMENT. -=DO NOT REMOVE ANY METAL=- we are talking perhaps a few hundred-thousandths...Perhaps! The final issue is lubing the gun...This is where some people are baffled. I remember the first use of the Squad-Automatic-Weapon and they really NEEDED to be lubed; but it was really tough to get to ALL the little places that were actually the places that REALLY NEEDED to get lubed. So we just got some diesel and dunked the weapon in (or you can use most any flammable hydrocarbon with some oil dissolved in it) and dunk, dunk, dunk! Then let the weapon sit and the fluid evaporate....It will leave a thin coat of oil EVERYWHERE - everywhere you could NOT reach without total disassembly! Then wipe off the oil from the outside and inside you have a completely lubed weapon - even on areas like pivot pins, etc! And OFTEN it just those areas that are bone dry and causing the surfaces to rub, thus degrading smooth operation. The period of a few days goes by and you will have a weapon that will be MUCH smoother and the slide spring will "work in" just like you put about 500 rounds through it. -=Just enough...To keep the slide from hanging and the pistol will operate flawlessly. Remember, leave it locked back for at least 3days! At minimum 72hours will set a spring to it's funtional continuty poundage. That is the weight that the spring will continue on with for it's "life" until the steel is affected by fatigue. (Decades) These things have WORKED! Over and OVER, they continue to be the answer to sending the gun back to the factory and waiting a month for them TO DO THE SAME DAMN THING! The reason I am harping on this is that I have stopped carrying my Glock 26 after many years and started to carry the XD because it is so unusually accurate for that type of carry pistol. I am a Glock armorer, etc, etc...but I carry what works. *-Excuse me there; Glocks have never jammed ;-)

Ok, is this really nessasary? And wouldn't something like REM oil work better than diesel? What's the best spray lube? On a totally different subject, what is the best 9mm protection round?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
every mass production gun is different. with my xd i have yet to have 1 malfuntion, and have put over 2k rounds through it /w minimul cleaning. as for leaving the slide locked back for 3 days, (my personal oppinion) i think thats balongy, from my knowledge springs wear by going from compressed do depressed, not by staying depressed.

just get a dons guidrod and spring, its cheep and not "over engineered"

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
therooster said:
every mass production gun is different. with my xd i have yet to have 1 malfuntion, and have put over 2k rounds through it /w minimul cleaning. as for leaving the slide locked back for 3 days, (my personal oppinion) i think thats balongy, from my knowledge springs wear by going from compressed do depressed, not by staying depressed.

just get a dons guidrod and spring, its cheep and not "over engineered"
Don't bother with the Dons rod guide. Don does not make one for the sub.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Interesting reading and I believe the disel is used as a carrier to thin the oil and get it into the tight places, should work yes but what about the oily residue picking up lint from carrying it? Anyone that carries daily knows that they have to clean the lint out once a week or so, the oil will attract it. Maybe if your having problems, try a dry lube, they make teflon based dry lubes as well as graphite, these are slick and wont attract the unwanted fuzz and dirt.
Leaving the slide racked back is BS I think, example...Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth, what happens, it breaks. Take that paperclip and bend it once and leave it set, get the point? same thing with a spring but less dramatic of a bend.
Ive had my XD sub for awhile and have a good 1000 rounds or more through it and I have yet to have a function problem with it. Just clean it and lube it and it will work for you.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
To answer your last question re the ammo. There are many good 9mm rounds. My former dept. uses Winchester 147gr Ranger Talon. This is a le round, but I've been told one can get it from ammolab.com.

I've mentioned this on a few other threads, but I believe it deserves mentioning again here. Go to Tacticalforums.com, then to the terminal effects forum. Go to the upper right and click on the search area. Type in Service Calibers and you will have your question re ammo answered by a nationally recognized ballistics expert. There are photos of gelatin tests of 9mm and 40, 45 and 357 caliber rounds. By caliber and brand, Doc. Roberts lists excellent ammo choices per his tests. Good luck. BTW, I carry the ammo mentioned above in my XD subcompact 9mm for ccw.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Here is a novel idea "shoot it alot" and it will break in fast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts