Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I did it again... finally have what I want.... for the most part.... for now....

I loved my V10 Ultra Compact except for the porting. I also didnt care for the fit and feel of my XDm in my hand(prefer the XD). About a month ago I bought the EMP in 9mm for the summer and CC.

Yesterday I saw a Micro Compact at the LGS in .45. I went back today with my V10 and the XDm and traided them plus some cash for the Micro 45.

Pluses:
The Micro is a lot lighter than the V10.
I finally got rid of the ported barrel.
I got $11 less for the V10 than what I paid for it when I bought it brand new 14 years ago.

Minuses:
I prefer the Ultra compact which was a 3.5" bbl where the Micro is a 3" bbl. (We'll just have to see how it handles recoil being a lighter gun with a shorter, non ported barrel)
I get home and see on the SA website that there IS still an Ultra Compact model in 3.5" :|

Well, thats 3 to 2. Not too bad I suppose. It did come with a cheap light that I will never use on it. I put it on my XD for bedside instead.

www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cleaned up my new micro today and decided to see if all my SD rounds would chamber smoothly. I have Golden Sabers in it and decided to put some of my Hornady TAP in. With the way the 1911's feed ramp is, ammo takes a little jump up to get into battery. This also causes setback the more you rack the same round. Well, with the way the TAP are made with out any roundness to the nose of the bullet, they just taper to a cone like end. They just slammed right into the base of the feed ramp and went no where. I tried a second time and same thing. The bullet is now almost flush with the taper and the shoulder of the casing.

I guess I'll be shopping for SD rounds that only have rounded noses and nothing like the TAP's or Federal shocks. The TAPs will get spent in the XD. I love how the XD darn near sets the round in the chamber from the start.

I can hardly wait to get to the range to start trying some of these that DO work so I can start carrying this baby.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'm not big on trading guns in (I'd rather privately sell them for more $$), but you got what you wanted, and that was the goal.
I've been really happy with my EMP, did a few mods to it and want a few more.

If you keep having trouble feeding FMJs send it back to SA.
If you continue to have that problem with more than one brand of ammo, they might have to recut, or at least polish, the feed ramp.
I'd think recut it your bullets are jamming on the bottom of the ramp.
I'd email them a pic of what is going on with it.

Congrats on the new pistol..
I rented one of those before buying my 1st 1911 last year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, I got what I paid for the V10 fourteen years ago and only $120 less than I paid for the XDm since it was "used". And I didnt have to haggle with joe blow.

I havent fed any FMJ through it yet. Just going off the observation of the two styles of bullets in the GS's and the TAP's.

Once I get to the range, I'll get a better idea if there are going to be any other "serious" issues. As long as i find a SD round that feeds, I'll be fine. Not all rounds feed in every gun... I tried Corbon 14 yrs ago when I first got my V10 Ultra Compact and it didnt like those but ran fine with everything else....

What mods have you done to the EMP? Only one I see so far is the flat bottom mags... How else have you improved on this beautiful little machine?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
True, I got what I paid for the V10 fourteen years ago and only $120 less than I paid for the XDm since it was "used". And I didnt have to haggle with joe blow.

I havent fed any FMJ through it yet. Just going off the observation of the two styles of bullets in the GS's and the TAP's.

Once I get to the range, I'll get a better idea if there are going to be any other "serious" issues. As long as i find a SD round that feeds, I'll be fine. Not all rounds feed in every gun... I tried Corbon 14 yrs ago when I first got my V10 Ultra Compact and it didnt like those but ran fine with everything else....

What mods have you done to the EMP? Only one I see so far is the flat bottom mags... How else have you improved on this beautiful little machine?

Ed brown single side thumb saftey and a Harrison smooth faced trigger.

I want to get the butt rounded and maybe a Colt style cut out on the trigger guard so I get a little higher grip on the pistol.

Not sure if I want SA to do it or someone else.
Probably SA so it will not void the warranty.
Maybe checker the front strap, but I'm not so sure I need it.
The gun isn't that hard to hold on to the way it is.
I also thought about having the slide refinished black, but I saw a pic of one like that and don't think I like it.

And the sights, I don't like the sliver outlines on these Trijicons.
I need a white outline, or I might do a gold bead with a black 10-8 rear.
Or I may just get with Harrison and have him make me something.
I don't know what I'm going to do with the sights, but I'm gonna do something..;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice.

Right now, I love the feel of the gray (vz) grips. When I bought mine, the LGS had one of each (wood and VZ) in the case. I spent longer deciding on which grip I wanted to go with. But the wood looks oh so good also. Either way, I want to order new grips so I dont ding up these nice wood ones that came with it. Just so many options and no one local has grips to compare other than a wall full of Hogue rubber.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
unlike the EMP your Micro does not have checkering on the front strap and it may become a problem to control, I say this because I have a Micro loaded model and I finally installed a set of Packmayr wrap around signature grips and that solved the problem, bu the way mine eats all ammo DPX, Gold Dots, Ranger T's and HST

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have checkering on either front strap. I'm going to get a couple more boxes of different stuff and try a few out. I just know I've ruled out the Hornady TAP for now.

I was also thinking about getting some polishing compound for the feed ramp just because.... couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ibelieve we both carry the same Micro and yours should have a fully ramped barrel so unless its really rough no polishing should be needed but if you want it to shine use a little Flitz metal polish and aa felt or cotton wheel on the dremel just dont press to hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts