Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Glock 27 and a XDm-9.
I want a AR type gun.
What should I look for. I want something nice. So I dont wish I just paid a little for for the other thing.
What do you guys suggest.
All the AR stuff is dizzying. LMT? Stag? Bushmaster
Should I get a lower and build. Just to have.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This decision will probably have to be based on what is available rather than your wants. You are gettin started a little late. Good luck

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
1st, Welcome to XDtalkdotcom. I think you'll find this is one of the most laid back gun forums around. I spent a lot of time lurking on gun forums before I finally decided to register on this site. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable people here and in no time at all you'll realize that you are one of them. It doesn't take long to learn a lot of information, especially when a lot of really good people are willing to share whatever knowledge they have.

With that said, my first question is your location. Depending on where you live, someone here may or may not know a gun shop close to you where there are rifles available. That'll make your search much easier.

As DotyThaXD correctly pointed out, at this point in the game your purchase will more than likely be dictated on what is available rather than what you want. With the "Big Scare" as I like to call it, people all over are buying up whatever they can and even more are ordering direct. Pretty much all of the AR companies are backordered, so if you want something right now, you'll have to settle for whatever you can find. If you are willing to wait on parts, go ahead and order what you really want and wait it out. Personally I think you'll be much happier and spend less money by just getting what you want and fits your needs.

With all that said, before you buy anything or read any further, take a look at the pinned topic 'So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQ' at the top of this forum. That will get you started.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My shop has some RRAs, Wilsons and Bushmasters coming in.
I will put a deposit on something this week.

How are the wilsons? MAybe get a 1911 to match

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have some RRAs coming in friday. Will put a deposit on one of them or a wilson.

Are the RRAs a good piece? How about the Wilson?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Just picked up a Glock 27 and a XDm-9.
I want a AR type gun.
What should I look for. I want something nice. So I dont wish I just paid a little for for the other thing.
What do you guys suggest.
All the AR stuff is dizzying. LMT? Stag? Bushmaster
Should I get a lower and build. Just to have.
Here's some of what to look for when buying or building an AR based on my expectations. (not necessarily everyone elses')

Staked gas key--easy fix if it doesn't come staked, but I prefer it be from the factory, and feel it should be

upgraded extractor spring/insert another cheap and easy mod if it doesn't come with it, but I like to have them on all of mine. It increases reliability especially as it ages.

flat-top (A3) upper receiver gives the owner the most versatility from adding optics directly to teh receiver or simply using iron sights via a detachable carryhandle or flip up sights if that suits your shooting style/needs.

Barrels
Chrome lined--usually not as accurate for precision work but acceptable in terms of what it was originally intended, easier to clean, can handle longer periods of lack of maintenance

Stainless Steel--if made right are very accurate but still has good cleaning properties and longevity between cleanings (This is my preferred barrel type)

Chromeoly--are the industry standard

Barrel Twist Rate
1:14/1:12 -very slow twist rates and generally won't stablize the newer/heavier bullets. These are better suited for very light varmint hunting bullets

1:9--Industry standard. Will shoot the widest range/weight of ammo from light to pretty heavy

1:7--Quickly becoming the new preferred twist rate because they stabilize even the heaviest grain bullets available today.

Quality magazines with magpul anti-tilt followers or the Magpul Pmags without windows if you can find them are one of the nicest magazines I've ever used.

With all of that said, most of the people who waited past the elections will have a hard time buying an AR without paying much more for it, or waiting longer to get it.

Every manufacturer is swamped and backlogged with orders. It goes far deeper than that though because there's only a handful of companies who make the recievers that all of the manufacturers buy from so expect ridiculous amounts of wait times to get one. And that goes for building one from parts too. I would expect the manufacturers will be buying as many receivers as they can so they can get their finished product out the door, and at the same time, won't be selling or will be rationing the stripped parts to the public so the manufacturers can concentrate on their orders first and foremost.

There is a lot of speculation about a ban coming up and really only time will tell, but with the manufacturers backlog, if a ban is started early in Obama's Administration, there may not be time for all of those orders already placed to be filled before one may become law IF THAT IN FACT DOES HAPPEN. But as I said, only time will tell, but Obama and Biden both haven't had exemplary records for voting Pro Second Amendment in the past, so I'm expecting to see something introduced fairly early myself. There are many anti gun Senators just gleaming with joy that they've been elected.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Might as well go with the RRA since you have the opportunity to do so. In fact, if you can go place a deposit then do it on Monday just to be sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going tomorrow at lunch to get a deposit on something. Probably a RRA.
The order a LMT lower and build something.

·
Registered
837 Posts
1st, Welcome to XDtalkdotcom. I think you'll find this is one of the most laid back gun forums around. I spent a lot of time lurking on gun forums before I finally decided to register on this site. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable people here and in no time at all you'll realize that you are one of them. It doesn't take long to learn a lot of information, especially when a lot of really good people are willing to share whatever knowledge they have. quote]

+1 The people on this board are amazing! I've been here for about a month now and can't believe how helpful people are here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you guys think of the Robinson XCR?
My shop had 2 unspoken for. Should I pull the trigger on one of those or get a AR?

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I personally would go with a standard AR. In fact pick up one of those RRA's if you get the chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts