Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just over at Waltherforums.com and saw something very interesting. I was wondering if you guys have seen or heard about it yet.

Some of you might be familiar with the SW99 from Smith and Wesson. It's kind of a cousin of the excellent Walther P99 that uses similar technology and is marketed by S&W.

Well, looks like Smithy has it's own true entry into the polymer service pistol market in the form of the M&P

http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=458227&item=1576025&sw_activeTab=1

Looks kinda like an XD or Sig with that large takedown lever on the side. What do you guys think? Will it be a serious competitor against GLOCK and our beloved XD?

-stunks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sorry guys, should have looked in the other forums for posts about the S&W M&P before starting this thread. My apologies.

-stunks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Whoa. It has an Ambidextrous Slide Stop, Reversible Mag Catch and Novak Sights. It's a good looking pistol too. The Bore Axis looks as low as the Steyr M's. Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,947 Posts
It still takes alot from the Glock and sigma, what I do like though is the ambi slide stop and the Melonite finish so it wont rust easily. In my issue of American cop I got a dvd that went through all the particulars of the pistol. I still do not like a magazine disconect, and I really am unsure about the disassembly. Its similar to the Rugers in that you have to reach in the slide and move a lever, yea you know the chambers empty but I can look in the xd and I like the speed at which you can disasemble a glock or xd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,801 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
It still takes alot from the Glock and sigma, what I do like though is the ambi slide stop and the Melonite finish so it wont rust easily.
Yeah, the finish is apparently applied to a stainless steel slide, so even if the finish wears off, it's still unlikely to rust. Really a good idea. It does seem to have a lot going for it. Seems like a huge improvement over the Sigma. Actually, the entire gun seems like a well thought out compilation of the best of the competition.

Peace,
D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,947 Posts
I wish SA would do a melonite on the XD I would pay more for it, although I would loose DuraCoat jobs over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Holy crap! I want one.
How much???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
I recently had a Springfield 1911 put through the Melonite process. This finish is amazing! Super hard, holds oil like you won't believe, and is the deepest, darkest, least light reflective finish that I have ever seen.

Overall very satisfied with the finish, but it can take some tuning work with the pistol afterwards as the process involves high heat, and can add about .0005" to treated surfaces. (And I was made aware of this before hand.)

I plan to process as many guns that I can afford.

I had the work done here: http://burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
Very nice people, and very professional.

No connection to the company other than having used their process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Tempest said:
I recently had a Springfield 1911 put through the Melonite process. This finish is amazing! Super hard, holds oil like you won't believe, and is the deepest, darkest, least light reflective finish that I have ever seen.

Overall very satisfied with the finish, but it can take some tuning work with the pistol afterwards as the process involves high heat, and can add about .0005" to treated surfaces. (And I was made aware of this before hand.)

I plan to process as many guns that I can afford.

I had the work done here: http://burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
Very nice people, and very professional.

No connection to the company other than having used their process.
How much did that run you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
It was around the $200 mark, but I don't remember the exact price. This was for a full sized all steel 1911, frame and all. The XD (obviously) will not need the frame done, so the price may be cheaper (didn't ask). I just happened to be on a week long business trip very close to their shop when I had it done so I didn't have to ship the gun to them. (I believe that their normal turn around is somewhat longer than this, but I called ahead and set the whole thing up. Again, Great people, very nice.)

According to what they told me, only ferous metals can be processed (including Stainless Steels that can be hardened, though there is an up charge for SS). Aluminum, Tinanium etc. cannot be used.

They do not (at least at that time) have an FFL so they use a local (just around the corner) gunsmith to receive gun shipments. They will receive directly any "non-firearm" (i.e. non serial numbered) parts directly however. Good news for XD owners!

Also, I believe that they give quantity discounts as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
How much for the [email protected]?? i could not find one anywhere. i am really wondering how much they are
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
kgpcr said:
How much for the [email protected]?? i could not find one anywhere. i am really wondering how much they are
I heard that they were supposed to be price-pointed at about $100 less than a Glock. Around here that would put them at ~$425. If they feel as good as they look I will get one despite the mag release safety.

regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
So S&W basically rebadged a Sigma. They lightly modified the frame on the old Sigma and made a "new gun" Please! Those things were jamamatics from day one and I don't think they'll make it any better with some cosmetic updates. Sorry guys, redoing the frame from the old Sigma doesn't count as a new gun in my book. That would be like saying that Glock came out with whole new guns when they went with their generation three frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
hal.9000 said:
So S&W basically rebadged a Sigma. They lightly modified the frame on the old Sigma and made a "new gun" Please! Those things were jamamatics from day one and I don't think they'll make it any better with some cosmetic updates. Sorry guys, redoing the frame from the old Sigma doesn't count as a new gun in my book. That would be like saying that Glock came out with whole new guns when they went with their generation three frames.
It's because of posts like this that I think I'll be able to pick one up in the $350 range.

Keep it up! :lol:

But really, the M&P is not very much like the Sigma at all. The difference is way bigger than the different gen frames of the Glocks.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top