Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling the pain of people buying custom builds during panic times.

1st off, It's like pulling teeth to get details because they don't know.
Ex.
Me: I see it is a spikes lower, what upper is it? What BCG? What barrel? What length? What twist?

Him: I'm not sure

Me: Is there any visible logo or markings on the upper?

Him: no

Me: what about the barrel?

Him: it says dpms 556 1-9

Me: so probably an 18 inch length due to the twist

Him: yeah it looks like an 18

Me: the BCG?

Him: Lewis

Second thing that bothers me. The prices! I ask him what he wants for it. I'm essentially going in blind. I don't even know the upper and I don't want to make the 2 hour drive to inspect if the price doesn't make it worth my while.

Me: how much do you value it at?

Him: well my girlfriend bought it last December for 1800 dollars and then I added a 200 dollar NIKON pseries.

Me: not interested, good luck with your sale

It's not worth the hassle of explaining to people these days. If you buy a gun, know what parts it has. That will give you a realistic post panic price. I'm not an 18 barrel fan anyway, but I am not spending anywhere near 1800 for an unknown upper w/o forward assist, cheap BCG, 85 dollar lower, with unknown lpk, built by someone I know all about.

He's the guy that builds them cheap, and sells them high. I have no problem with that guy, but It's just frustrating dealing with the people they sold to. This was a rant, no real question here.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
selling in post-panic times at panic-point prices makes me chuckle. I lowball hard.

$1800? drop the 1, and lets haggle from there...
I found out a while back It's easier to just drop it. Those people get PISSED when you tell them you can build it for less than 700.
And I don't feel like getting yelled at by stupid folks. Not saying there is anything wrong with his AR, but his price is stupid. Fortunately I have several already, but I'm always down for more if the price is good. But let's be honest, that utg quad rail and BCG are getting removed immediately. And I hate buying used glass.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My new hobby is scrolling Arms list and flagging all the over priced listings. Yes it makes me feel cool.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My new hobby is scrolling Arms list and flagging all the over priced listings. Yes it makes me feel cool.
So 95% of them?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is precisely the reason I waited to buy my first AR til AFTER the panic died. I'd originally planned (during fall 2012) to buy one in early 2013 when my tax returns came in in Februrary. Then Sandy Hook happened and prices when sky high. Well, working in politics in DC, being friends with several NRA-ILA folks, and having a little common sense that the GOP-controlled House was not ever going to pass Obama's gun control BS led me to just sit on my money and wait til prices came back down. I did go to a gun show in Feb 2013 and saw people selling $800 Stags and Del Tons for $2500, and people paying! Same for cheapo, mystery builds like the OP described. All I could do was laugh at the stupidity. Glad I waited til July 2013 and got my Stag for a fair price ($825)!

As my Dad would say "fools and their money are soon parted"

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I found out a while back It's easier to just drop it. Those people get PISSED when you tell them you can build it for less than 700.
And I don't feel like getting yelled at by stupid folks. Not saying there is anything wrong with his AR, but his price is stupid. Fortunately I have several already, but I'm always down for more if the price is good. But let's be honest, that utg quad rail and BCG are getting removed immediately. And I hate buying used glass.
Yup gotta love rifles that are half junk that they paid over 2k for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep waiting. I am betting on an AR price crash Q4-2014 or Q1-2015. Even another incident won't push prices as long as it happens before the mid-term elections. All the back-orders will be caught up or cancelled and there will be a surplus of cheap AR parts, which will depress prices across the board. Don't believe the "three year" backlog. Most shops have ordered the same thing from every supplier and will cancel all but the first one to deliver. I predict a basic AR for under $400 will be common at Christmas.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm not an AR person, though I do understand the legitimate reasons why people want them.

But I have friends who bought several high dollar ARs during the panic, because "I can sell them for twice the price in a couple years".

Somehow, that ain't worked out as they planned...

They are now stuck with "investments" that they didn't really want or need in the first place, they only bought them because they thought that they'd make money.

They'll need to hold them a LOT longer to make any money from their "investments".

History has shown that panic buying and selling doesn't work in the stock market. So why would anyone think that the gun market would work differently?

Duane

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I like to call them the ill-informed consumers. I have a buddy that bought very high EVEN AFTER I told him to wait. I told him let things settle. Nope, he HAD TO HAVE IT. and here is where, "a fool and his money are soon parted" fits in.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Me: what about the barrel?

Him: it says dpms 556 1-9

Me: so probably an 18 inch length due to the twist

Him: yeah it looks like an 18
There are tons of DPMS 16" barrels that are 1-9 twist. Plenty of other companies have them as well.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep waiting. I am betting on an AR price crash Q4-2014 or Q1-2015. Even another incident won't push prices as long as it happens before the mid-term elections. All the back-orders will be caught up or cancelled and there will be a surplus of cheap AR parts, which will depress prices across the board. Don't believe the "three year" backlog. Most shops have ordered the same thing from every supplier and will cancel all but the first one to deliver. I predict a basic AR for under $400 will be common at Christmas.
400 dollar ARs are possible, if you're okay with polymer. I thankfully bought early and have been building for several years. So now I just look for decent deals. If you pick them up cheap they are a good investment. Unfortunately I lost alp mine in a boating accident. Lost my boat too, that's why I don't currently have a boat.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are tons of DPMS 16" barrels that are 1-9 twist. Plenty of other companies have them as well.
For sure. The barrel stuck out pretty far, so I assumed his rail was either too short, or it was an 18. Factor that with the fact that the builder was probably experienced with building. I only say that because the AR seemed cookie cutter base AR. And i'm not a huge fan of a 1:9 in a 16. I could have been wrong. End of the day, barrel length isn't the point.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Buddy bought a DPMS for 1400 during the crisis....I had told him to wait. Not only did he not do that, he decided to "one up" it and instead of listening to my advice on a rail, he went to our rip-off LGS and got a UTG quad rail and some bipod grip from them for like $150 because they "installed" it. He's literally several hundreds more into a DPMS than I have into my BCM with an STR stock, magpul furniture, ACT trigger and Aimpoint PRO...

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
400 dollar ARs are possible, if you're okay with polymer. I thankfully bought early and have been building for several years. So now I just look for decent deals. If you pick them up cheap they are a good investment. Unfortunately I lost alp mine in a boating accident. Lost my boat too, that's why I don't currently have a boat.
I think with my next OT check I'm going to put together a no frills PSA to just throw in the back of my safe and forget about. $550 really isn't out of the realm of possibility, and that's very intriguing to me.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I'd just tell them "What you paid for it has nothing to do with its true value." When they get pissy, ask them "So what would you sell it to me for if you were given it as a gift?"

I'd also be stocking up on "cheap" ARs if I didn't have all my play money accounted for.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
1800 for a frankin gun is insane.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts