Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have my CCW but I was wondering if you are allowed to announce you are carrying a weapon in order to defuse a situation so that drawing your weapon isn't even needed in a certain situation. Just curious because I just don't know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't have my CCW but I was wondering if you are allowed to announce you are carrying a weapon in order to defuse a situation so that drawing your weapon isn't even needed in a certain situation. Just curious because I just don't know.
I don't think that would be a very good idea. If there is a situation where you could justify pulling a weapon, announcing you have one will more than likely end with you injured or worse.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Almost never a good idea. Could be interpreted as criminal threats, menacing with a firearm, inciting language... all sorts of unpleasantness.

The only time the average citizen should know you're carrying is if you absolutely need to make use of your carry weapon. So. Hopefully never.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Bad idea.....announcing would instantly escalate the situation.

Try this.....Point to the attackers feet while saying, "Your shoe is untied!" Then, while the attacker is staring at his feet, quickly leave the area! (Sorry, I used that line twice in the same week>)

In Florida, we have no obligation to retreat, but I would always try to disengage or lower the threat level......I have seen simple verbal confrontations escalate to near shootings in the blink of an eye. Avoidance is ALWAYS my policy. I don't inhabit places where these things have happened, I remain polite and considerate, aware, prepared, and sober.

If the unthinkable happens and I am in danger of great bodily harm or death, and I can't avoid it..........I would simultaneously yell, "Stop!", pull my weapon, move laterally towards cover, and shoot repeatedly until the threat is stopped. Then I would immediately call 911 and say, "Please send an Ambulance to...... An attacker has been shot." Then I would call my Lawyer. I would not say anything to the police beyond giving them my name, CCW permit, and ID.

The first one to call 911 wins.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You know there are all kinds of scenarios. I think about this stuff too much.

Let's say you have a Crimson Laser on your HG, the BG tries to armed rob you. You pull the HG, Laser him in the eye, but don't shoot, he shoots at you and misses and because of being blinded, stumbles out into traffic and is killed by a car.

Are you at fault? Is it better or worse than simply shooting a person? Sometimes wounding or blinding is considered more of a moral outrage, perhaps.

That's why it's essential to escape, evade, and just not be in bad places.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Let's say you have a Crimson Laser on your HG, the BG tries to armed rob you. You pull the HG, Laser him in the eye, but don't shoot, he shoots at you and misses and because of being blinded, stumbles out into traffic and is killed by a car.
If you have reason to pull your weapon and point the laser in his eye ... you have reason to pull the trigger and put a bullet in his eye.

With that said, there could be a scenario where you inform - announce sounds a bit ostentatious to me - someone that you are armed and that any further actions, of a specific sort, will force you to draw your weapon and fire.

Those scenarios where that would be a good/effective approach are probably pretty limited though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost never a good idea. Could be interpreted as criminal threats, menacing with a firearm, inciting language... all sorts of unpleasantness.

The only time the average citizen should know you're carrying is if you absolutely need to make use of your carry weapon. So. Hopefully never.
This makes sense. I totally understand.

I don't think that would be a very good idea. If there is a situation where you could justify pulling a weapon, announcing you have one will more than likely end with you injured or worse.
This however, not so much. I don't know about you but I certainly am not going to continue to escalate a situation if I know the other person is carrying a firearm for personal protection.

·
Registered
730 Posts

This however, not so much. I don't know about you but I certainly am not going to continue to escalate a situation if I know the other person is carrying a firearm for personal protection.
Right. What did Col. Jeff Cooper say, "An armed society is a polite society."?

·
Registered
61 Posts

My thinking is if your in a bank and someone walks in with a gun, telling him you are carrying is going to get you killed. If you come across a fight, telling him you have a gun is going to get you in trouble. In my state, you cannot escalate force. Basically it would be illegal to use lethal force in a fistfight. If the guy in the fistfight busted out a baseball bat, then you would be legally able to use lethal force.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bad idea.....announcing would instantly escalate the situation.

Try this.....Point to the attackers feet while saying, "Your shoe is untied!" Then, while the attacker is staring at his feet, quickly leave the area! (Sorry,
Try this one.... Point at the ground and tell'em they dropped there pocket. They will look around on the ground for about 5-8 seconds looking for their pocket completely confused. Go head and try it. It works!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know about you but I certainly am not going to continue to escalate a situation if I know the other person is carrying a firearm for personal protection.
Or not. I forget who it was that said that many criminals are not at all intimidated by guns, being themselves an armed subculture. If the person is willing to kill (which some are, some aren't), then you've just nominated yourself as first to get shot.

Also, I'm assuming you're a law-abiding citizen, and therefore not a good model for the kind of behavior you'd need to defend yourself against. Sure, you wouldn't escalate a situation if the other person is armed, but then you probably wouldn't create a situation in the first place.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Try this.....Point to the attackers feet while saying, "Your shoe is untied!" Then, while the attacker is staring at his feet, quickly leave the area! (Sorry, I used that line twice in the same week>)

How about looking over the attackers shoulder and saying "Damn! She took her top off!" ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It totally depends on the state. Here in Arizona, "Defensive Display" is allowed and is not considered "brandishing" as long as the circumstances truly are defensive on your part. Defensive Display includes announcing you're armed, showing it holstered, even drawing it and keeping it low-ready. In some states, if you pull it, you better f-in' shoot the aggressor, or you're getting arrested for brandishing. Arizona's Defensive Display is an attempt to get the greatest possible use out of defensive carry while eliminating the carrier's need to first put himself at maximum risk. Arizona recognizes that there's a big gigantic ocean of threatening situations that CAN be defused if the aggressors learn the defender is armed, despite the universal knee-jerk gun-forum mantra that says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Announcing in any situation would be foolish. If a situation arises where the possiblily of using your gun becomes a reality, and you announce you have a gun, you have just given up any tactical advantage you have. If this truly is a life or death situation, and you announce you have a gun, there is a good chance the bad guy will gun you down.
If you feel the need to announce you are armed, then your piece had better be in your hand, and you should be fully prepared to use it.
Here are three rules I follow.
*I never reveal I am armed unless I am in a position where it is absolutely necessary; either required by law, or the situation.
*If the situation warrants unveiling your weapon,(a last resort situation) then present the weapon when you can safely do so(not endangering yourself or other innocent people.)
* Present your weapon with the idea of engaging the enemy. Do not, repeat do not pull the weapon as a warning only, but fully prepared to disable the bad guy.
When you pull the weapon, if the bg backs down, and is willing to disarm and leave, let them, if not, use appropripate force to end the threat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It totally depends on the state. Here in Arizona, "Defensive Display" is allowed and is not considered "brandishing" as long as the circumstances truly are defensive on your part. Defensive Display includes announcing you're armed, showing it holstered, even drawing it and keeping it low-ready. In some states, if you pull it, you better f-in' shoot the aggressor, or you're getting arrested for brandishing. Arizona's Defensive Display is an attempt to get the greatest possible use out of defensive carry while eliminating the carrier's need to first put himself at maximum risk. Arizona recognizes that there's a big gigantic ocean of threatening situations that CAN be defused if the aggressors learn the defender is armed, despite the universal knee-jerk gun-forum mantra that says otherwise.

I live in NC and it is what you mentioned. If I pull it your dead. If that happens then four things need to be true.

1-A citizen is justified in using deadly force if he/she actually believes deadly force is necessary to prevent an imminent threat of death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault
2-The facts prompting that belief would cause a person of ordinary firmness to believe the same
3-You can not be the instigator
4-You do not use excessive force.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I live in NC and it is what you mentioned. If I pull it your dead. If that happens then four things need to be true.

1-A citizen is justified in using deadly force if he/she actually believes deadly force is necessary to prevent an imminent threat of death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault
2-The facts prompting that belief would cause a person of ordinary firmness to believe the same
3-You can not be the instigator
4-You do not use excessive force.

I agree , I don't need to tell anyone, they will find out when I draw.

Also "don't use excessive force"? This is a very subjective term, I understand the point that if the threat is on the ground no longer breathing you do not need to empty the complete magazine in to the threat, but if you are the one threatened, how can someone else tell me when you no longer felt threatened?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree , I don't need to tell anyone, they will find out when I draw.

Also "don't use excessive force"? This is a very subjective term, I understand the point that if the threat is on the ground no longer breathing you do not need to empty the complete magazine in to the threat, but if you are the one threatened, how can someone else tell me when you no longer felt threatened?
You gave a perfect example.

We were showed a video in my ccw class where a clerk shot one kid in the head and chased another kid out the door. He then came back into his store, grabbed a different gun and went over to the kid on the floor with a head shot and shot him four more times in the chest. Needless to say he went to the big house. The cops said if he would have stopped once he came back in he would have been in the clear.

·
Banned
5,131 Posts
Only an idiot would "announce" he had a gun in a dangerous situation. That might add fuel to the fire and you're almost guaranteed to be pummeled before you're able to unholster. If your state is like TX there's a distinction between force and deadly force. you should only draw if deadly force is imminent but you don't have to shoot. It's a judgement call that you don't want to mess up on though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
MSHancock I just read that story, and watched the video the other day...It's a shame what happened in that video.

I would agree that announcing you have a gun would be a bad idea. Drawing it and putting it at the ready position and then announcing it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts