Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there are any ankle holsters for the XD Sub-Compact. I hope good nice person can let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You must have some big ankles to carry an XDSC on there! The SC fits great for me for IWB carry, but its a little bulky as a hideaway gun (for me anyways).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I usually carry in a don hume jit holster under a loose shirt or under my suite jacket, once in a while I'll open carry it in that holster but I don't really like to use the jit for open carry. I'd like a better concealed way of carrying, maybe a sob holster might be better. I'd really like an ankle holster though. But if someone knows of a good sob holster, let me know as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of the ones on that website, I like the Don Hume PCCH IWB Holster best. I think I might get that one sometime soon but what I would really like is an ankle holster, I see there are some for the glock.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
my Handguns magazine says that Fobus is making ankle holsters for the SC now. Your local gunshop might be willing to order one for you to look at to see if ankle carrying the XDSC is practical. I have a feeling it wouldn't be to great though.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
chibigui, if you are le and are considering the ankle rig for a backup gun, I would recommend you do not for one reason: SAFETY.

I have told this story here before, but I believe it bears repeating. A long time ago I rode with a dep. who showed me a guy out mowing his lawn. He told me that months before, he had been in a fight with the bg and a struggle for his (deputy's) gun ensued. His backup was on an ankle rig and he couldn't get to it. Luckily for him, he was able to subdue the adam henry and cuff him, but he said if his gun had been in his pants pocket he would have screwed it in his ear and shot him. After that, he carried in his pocket, just as I did.

2. Forget the sob holster unless you want back problems down the road. My spine surgeon, along with others, recommend nothing should be pressing on your spine or near it. That means no single handcuff case carrying 2 cuffs like a lot of guys do. You really shouldn't even carry your noteback there. I'll tell you from personal experience, back surgery isn't a lot of fun.

Take care and good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i have a friend who carries his backup in his vest? do they make specific rigs for this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
chibigui
I just ordered an ankle holster for my XD9 SC off of ebay (it was actually for a Glock - hope it fits). I'll let you know how it fits and all once I get it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Although there are pros and cons for the use of an ankle rig, I have one for my SC. I found an Alessi leather one on Ebay last year. Although its not always the most accessible, its really not too big. I have a LEO friend who carries a Glock 26 on an ankle holster. He is an investigator who deals with children a lot and doesn't want them to be distracted by his sidearm. I like my ankle holster and wear it quite frequently when a waist holster isn't acceptable. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but I would think the same for anything on someones ankle who doesn't normally have additional weight there. I didn't have to buy any "special" pants, what I had covered it fine and its not noticable. So after my $0.02 on ankle holsters, you may want to check Alessi. I have one, I like it, and I use it at work all the time. You may be surprised how fast you can get to an ankle holster with a little bit of practice. I would wager that I can pull my ankle holster just as fast as a tuckable shirt holster. I haven't seen many of them around, it may be a special order item from Alessi, but they do/did exist. -Kevin

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Kevin, from the looks of the storm brewing up, ain't it about
time you hauled a*s out of FWB?

Ed

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Not trying to start a flame storm, but my point in my story wasn't how fast you can retrieve your gun from an ankle holster vs. an IWB holster, but the fact you may not be able to get to it all if involved in a fight.

I just brought it up as food for thought in his consideration of an ankle holster. Everyone, of course, will do what fits them. If he isn't leo on patrol, or even leo, then it might not be a factor.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
BUMP DOWN

03RangerXLT said:
i have a friend who carries his backup in his vest? do they make specific rigs for this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ankle holsters might be okay for a secondary gun but I wouldn't use for a primary holster. They are just too slow to access. The bad guy never gives you a two minute warning.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts