Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this should go in the hunting thread or SHTF thread but it seems it could work with both. my question is, does anyone on here know how to, or can refrence to someone who can, tan hides??? i have seen videos, processes, and instructions on "how to" tan a hide while removing the animals hair, but i want to know how to cure a hide while keeping the animals fur. i think that this could have some very practical uses in the woods or where ever you are in a SHTF sit. animal fur is natural colored, warm, and whatever else.

im just wondering if anyone has even done this without taking it to a taxi dermist and if so is the process is even worth while?

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
I know there are several tanning processes out there, Brain and Tannin tanning would be the best for long term SHTF survival situations as they use easily accessible materials to get the job done. I have a feeling 1 or both are gentle enough to leave the fur in-tact, and just don't scrape it off when doing your tanning.

the chemical (Chromium I think) tanning solutions I believe are much too harsh for the fur to survive. Just a wild guess here, but you might want to research the term Pelt instead of Hide when doing you google search on the subject matter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have brain-tanned about a dozen hides, mostly without hair, but those I have done with hair are essentially done the same. Some Animals keep their hair easier than others- I have tanned otters, nutria, and rabbits with hair on with no issues, but deer and elk are notorious for shedding all their hair. The process is a bit hard to sum up, so I reccomend Matt Richards' book "buckskins into braintan". Here's a summary:
1. skin critter- use knife for initial incision only, then pull the hide off.
2. soak in lye water
3. scrape off hair and epidermis
4. rinse and acidify in vinegar
5. scrape flesh side to remove "membrane"
6. soak in solution of brains or eggs or soap ad oil
7. The hard part- stretch and pull it constantly while it dries
8. smoke
The result can be as soft as felt, stronger than regular leather, and stretchy.
To keep the hair on, omit 2,3,4.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright sounds good, thanks to both. and good call on the pelt thing...i had a feeling i was using wrong words

1 - 4 of 4 Posts