Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,996 Posts
Anderson is a great company, IMO. As an FFL dealer I sell a lot of their products.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other then the stripped lowers I have not heard much about them either. I just did a little more reading and apparently this "RF85" coating makes some of there rifles require "no lube". I've never heard anything about this though so I can't vouch for they're claims..

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anderson is a great company, IMO. As an FFL dealer I sell a lot of their products.
Cool, thanks Slug. I guess i'll pick up a stripped upper for a future project.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bozz, I kinda figured that after doing some forum reading just now... I believe you need a complete "RF85" treated rifle to qualify for no lube.

However a "no lube" AR seems pretty revolutionary and that's why I was curious about it! Thanks for picking up on that Bozz! How's the bushy treating you my man?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I've heard of it, but never seen any reviews on it. Might be pretty cool but it doesn't sound like the RF85 treatment is patented... I wonder what is stopping other manufacturers from using it

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me too Taylor!

If the tech works you'd think this would be widespread?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Thanks Bozz, I kinda figured that after doing some forum reading just now... I believe you need a complete "RF85" treated rifle to qualify for no lube.

However a "no lube" AR seems pretty revolutionary and that's why I was curious about it! Thanks for picking up on that Bozz! How's the bushy treating you my man?
Glad I could help. The Bushy is great so far. You can check out my range report in the AR Rifles sub forum. I am hoping to get a chance to shoot it some more on Thursday.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I don't know anything about the coating they supposedly use.

But the last two AR's I have built have both been with Anderson lowers. Good stuff. Especially at that price point.

Or really, above the price point and just as good as any other standard 7075 forged lower.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Let me say up front that I like the company and have a lot of their parts on my AR's but the no-lube AR seems hard to imagine, but cool if it pans out. I'll let others try it out first...don't know that I could not oil a gun I own anyway...second nature.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Chemistry is coming a long way with no-lube stuff.

I am testing an automatic garbage truck can lifting arm with entirely no-lube bushings and plastic sliders with moly molded into the plastic. (the plastic did need to be greased up good for the initial break-in to keep it from squealing) We've got this thing doing 500 cycles an hour, going on a few weeks now at 10 hrs a day. So far everything looks good.

As far as I know, nobody else is even looking at this stuff in the refuse industry. New tech scares people. Once someone comes out with it, and it proves itself in the field; the cautious copy cats will soon follow.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Chemistry is coming a long way with no-lube stuff.

I am testing an automatic garbage truck can lifting arm with entirely no-lube bushings and plastic sliders with moly molded into the plastic. (the plastic did need to be greased up good for the initial break-in to keep it from squealing) We've got this thing doing 500 cycles an hour, going on a few weeks now at 10 hrs a day. So far everything looks good.

As far as I know, nobody else is even looking at this stuff in the refuse industry. New tech scares people. Once someone comes out with it, and it proves itself in the field; the cautious copy cats will soon follow.
Waste Management, Tidewater Fiber, or BFI?? Isn't the AA coating like a Teflon/Moly mixture??

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I work for a body manufacturer. The bushings are RBC Fabroid...its a woven PTFE.

I have no idea what AA is using. The ones I am using can't handle high speeds, so its not going to be anywhere close to the same, just saying these little technological advances can make a world of difference when implemented properly. I'm looking at getting rid of 30-something daily grease points. That is obviously something to the poor sucker doing daily maintenance in a 35F rain-storm.

A lubefree AR doesn't sound like much, but the last time I tried to shoot my AR; old cold gummed up lube caused light primer strikes....that could obviously be the difference between life and death.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thiink it boils down to resistance to change. Do you know how many people change their oil every 3 thousand miles still? As you said Groo, modern chemistry and technology has come a long way. For perspective, most German cars (bmw, Mercedes) recommend 20k miles oil change intervals. I use royal purple in my car and change every 12 thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Snake oil to me! I will say I have three stripped anderson lowers rand they seem pretty high quality as far as finish/quality goes. I can't say much for fit since I have yet to build them up and put them on an upper.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Snake oil to me! I will say I have three stripped anderson lowers rand they seem pretty high quality as far as finish/quality goes. I can't say much for fit since I have yet to build them up and put them on an upper.
All three of mine fit a tad loose on my 2 Anderson Sport uppers and 'standard' DSA flat top. My Phase 5 lower fits them all snug. I have an Ares Armor Harpe upper coming for a Surplus Arms lower. the Anderson lower seems the same as the SAA, but not as 'heavy' feeling as my Phase 5 lower. My Anderson lowers are marked .223/5.56 with 3 digit serials...means nothing in Va though. Caliber markings on lowers don't matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts