Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got drafted today for a security detail for a US senator who was stopping in podunk. As I worked it I wondered if this was one of the first LE uses of the XD in this role. Part of that assignment was keeping an eye on rooftops 75-125 yards away. The fact is I have shot this .40 so much, out to 100 yards (with Rem/UMC 180 JHP's) that I couldn't think of another handgun I'd rather have had along with me for this gig.

Thought y'all might find this interesting, and another milestone as the XD makes new inroads into the handgun market.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hell I thought I was a good shot!! I need to go hide myself in shame. You can hit @ 100+ yrds. confidently with your XD PISTOL?? DUDE!!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm not worthy! :shock:

I'm doing good to hit the black at 25yrds. :)

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Out here in Nevada there are lots of wide open spaces and I often pretend that a mound of dirt at 100 yards is a bad guy and all I have is my pistol. It is surprising how close you can get after firing a few shots. Sure, you have to hold over the target a bit, but the bullet lands fairly close as small puffs of dust will report your effectiveness. :shock:

invssgt said:
Part of that assignment was keeping an eye on rooftops 75-125 yards away.
A rifle or carbine would be better suited for this job, but someone who has refined his skills can be fairly effective at long distances with a pistol. :) Hey Sarge, I am glad you aren't a archery nut! :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hitting at 100 yards... a little clarification is in order here- I don't wanna come off sounding like Gen. Blowhard Fulloshit. If a bad guy were dumb enough to give me-

1) a reason to shoot him,
2) 5 seconds for a rested shot, and
3) his upper body/head for a target

I believe I could make him regret it. I also hope I don't have to prove this theory anywhere except on the range- but it's worth knowing in any event.

I have shot at "targets of opportunity" enough at this distance, that I know where my gun hits at that range, with specific ammunition. I have no doubt that the gun and ammunition possess sufficient mechanical accuracy to stay on a 6-8" target at 100 yards.

100 oz. laundry detergent jugs make excellent 100-yard plinking targets, BTW. Be a man- STEAL the empties from your Mommas/wives/girlfriends. Trust me- it's better this way.

I need to check the 100/200 yard zero my SAR-1, and time permitting, I will shoot a 100-yard target or two with the 40XD and post a pic. We'll all get a laugh out of it, if nothing else.

And you're absolutely right, Hobo- first pick would go to a long gun, given the choice.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pro-gun Senator....right?
Damn straight. Only kind we got here in MO- since the "cleanup".

What kind of U.S. Senator needs a security detail?
I'n not really sure it's within my capability to explain that to you, if you don't understand it already. In point of fact, it one of those "You call- we haul" deals. The Chief, Sheriff, or their representative, calls & says "We like for you to give us a hand with security for _________." So you go do it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
when i was younger and my hands were steady, my eyes were clear.
I would put on a demo for each new class at the sheriff's academy where i was armourer and firearms inst.
place clay pigons on bank at 100yds. with a 4" mod. 10 heavy barrel loaded with 146 gr. hollow base wad cutters. hold the top of the rear sight on the base of the front sight and those clay pigons did not stand a chance.
if you learned the basic of good marksmanship and you had the time to take a well aimed shot, most people would be suprised at what you can do with a hand gun.
I admit, I am not your average shooter. I was the first to fire 1490 in a registered police combat match in the state of tenn.
how ever most people convence them self's that they can't do something before they even try. try shooting a 100yds. you may be suprised what you can learn to do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Used to be able to put all 10 shots into a IDPA target at 100 yards with my CZ40 but that was after alot of practicing. Haven't tried with the XD yet.
I worked EP for awhile and that was the same scenario we worked on. While an SMG or carbine would be nice, most oftentimes it was impractical to carry one. This is one of the reasons the FN 5-7 is becomming a hit in the EP community as a backup/long distance threat gun.

get an XD Tactical and load it with Corbon 135gr and you would have a pretty effective 100yd weapon in the right hands.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was sighting in a rifle on the 100 yard range and gave my Sig P229 9mm a try. (The range is posted "no pistols", so I waited until nobody was there to annoy).

Amazingly, after a couple of shots I was able to hit paper on an 18" square target every time. Even without using a bench rest!

It's easier than you might imagine after you figure out how high to aim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts