Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce my self. Names Chris!
Been browsing for a few days as i am about to purchase my first hand gun.

Right now i am stuck between 2 items. Looking at either the XD40 or 45 Service model.

It will be both for concealed carry and the occasional range time to practicing and for just getting away for a few hours.

I hope to have something by middle of next week while i bounce back and forth between the too. So if you have any thoughts about them just let me know.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
For CCW I'd recommend the XD40sc or XD45 Compact of the two you ask about.
Service models can be concealed, but you have 100+ temps up there like we do, so the smaller the pistol, the easier it is to conceal and carry.;)

Just something to think about..
Welcome to the forum my Okie friend..;)

Hook 'em Horns...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have to agree with 1lowlife. I am a fairly large man (6'2" 250) and conceal a service model XD45 daily, but it has it's limitations. After carrying for while here in southern Louisiana as well as Oklahoma I can tell you that the heat certainly plays a factor, service pistols tend to be cumbersome in short and Ts and dressing heavier to conceal just means you have to battle the heat. Rather than find yourself debating whether the discomfort is worth it and considering not carrying, I suggest the smaller frame. If you get the compact you can always get the mags and grip extensions for range day. Another thing to consider is ammo cost and availability. I have always and will always be a fan of the 45. But when it comes to range day I sometimes wonder why I didn't buy a 9.

Originally from OKC. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Welcome from IL!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I would go with a XD40sc as mentioned prior. I live in Phoenix and the sc conceals much better in shorts and a T-shirt.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. An XDSC will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
127,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Chris. I formerly lived in Lawton, btw.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
For CCW I'd recommend the XD40sc or XD45 Compact of the two you ask about.
Service models can be concealed, but you have 100+ temps up there like we do, so the smaller the pistol, the easier it is to conceal and carry.;)

Just something to think about..
Welcome to the forum my Okie friend..;)

Go Pokes...
This...:cool: :p
Welcome from another Okie.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome. As for the question, I bought an xd9sc for ccw and have yet to carry because still waiting on my license. But I have been wearing it around the house in my crossbreed supertuck and it conceals quite nicely.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:) I would go with the XDsc...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Welcome from NC

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! Agree with others above, XDsc in your choice of caliber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to introduce my self. Names Chris!
Been browsing for a few days as i am about to purchase my first hand gun.

Right now i am stuck between 2 items. Looking at either the XD40 or 45 Service model.

It will be both for concealed carry and the occasional range time to practicing and for just getting away for a few hours.

I hope to have something by middle of next week while i bounce back and forth between the too. So if you have any thoughts about them just let me know.
Hello neighbor! I bought my first XD 45ACP 5' Tactical just two years ago and I'm very happy with it. However, I am looking into purchasing the 45ACP compact. Great forum!

·
Premium Member
23,636 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks All!

Well looks like i'm gonna try to pick up a XD .45 service model tomorrow.
I called today to make sure they had it in stock but the only one they had was with a thumb safety, and don't know if i want a thumb safety.

Got a few other places to call today.

One place (the one with thumb safety) has free years membership at its indoor range with purchase which is about a $75 value. The other place (basspro) will throw in free concealed calls with purchase.

Is there any reason why i should get one over the other?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts