Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please dont answer these questions if you have any doubts about the answer

so... i was shooting IDPA tonight, like i do every wednesday and i encountered the first malfuntion/s with my pistol.

i was drilling through a scenario when: in the middle of a mag (rounds have already been fired and more rounds still need firing) and i pulled the trigger... no bang... i look at the "cocked indicator" it shows its still cocked, so i pull the trigger again... nothing happens. i tap/rack(a hot round ejected) and continue firing.

this happend 4 times.

after the shoot was over, me and an instructor went downrange to find out what was happening. he was a glock guy and didnt know much about the XDs, so he thought it was the grip saftey. he said "i think your grip saftey wasnt fully depresed" and i told him that the trigger would not pull all the way (like it did) when the grip saftey isnt fully depresed. so we continue working out the problem and we both came to a conclusion.
the trigger reset shifts!
every once in a while, the trigger reset will randomly shift farther forward(the trigger would have to be released farther for it to reset).

i asked a gunsmith on site and he said he had heard of this in 1911s but he didn know how an XD worked.

so... whats going on on the inside to make this happen? (details please)

what would cause this to happen? poor maintenance?

what can i do to fix it?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hey, Jason.
How'd the shoot go otherwise?

To your question...
I was at ASC about a month ago, and ran into a guy with a .357sig XD. He had the same problem - only worse. When he pulled the trigger, nothing happened. This is obviously a big problem as you have to discharge on empty to release the slide. If you cant remove the slide, you cant get to the problem. A guy working the range desk said, "Oh, that's a common problem with XD's."
I took that to be ignorant XD-slamming as the range employee was wearing a Glock shirt. :roll: I had never heard of the problem, so I was quite interested in what caused it. I asked the XD owner if I could check it out - he said, "Sure."
After several attempts, I got the pistol to discharge (on empty, of course), and removed the slide. It turned out to be a trigger reset spring that had broken.
You are now the second person I know of with that problem. Your problem may get worse. You may eventually not be able to 'drop the hammer' at all. I'd get it checked out now, if I were you.
Good luck. Let me know what you find.

To all others....is this a common problem?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Everyone will have doubts about this without seeing the pistol. I am guessing poor maintenance since you mentioned that in your post. You probably have crud built up on and around the firing pin. Strip it down completely and give it a detailed cleaning. After cleaning, put a lite lube on the firing pin. I don't think anything is actually broken since you were able to make it eventually shoot. This is all a best guess.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ranburr said:
Everyone will have doubts about this without seeing the pistol. I am guessing poor maintenance since you mentioned that in your post. You probably have crud built up on and around the firing pin. Strip it down completely and give it a detailed cleaning. After cleaning, put a lite lube on the firing pin. That is a just a guess.

ranburr
the gun was cleaned before the shoot.

by poor maintenance i meant something like... shooting too long without a cleaning maybe caused too much wear on something and loosened it up? i dont know how the innards work exactly so i dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If the trigger reset was shifting around, then your XD still should have fired when you pulled the trigger again.

I suppose it's possible that your XD has a lot of gunk where the trigger bar meets the sear and striker safety lever. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause your reset to change.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When you say cleaned, did you actually remove the firing pin? People have different ideas of what a detailed cleaning is. It just sounds to me like there is a lot of build up around the firing pin. How many rounds do you have through this gun?

ranburr

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ranburr said:
When you say cleaned, did you actually remove the firing pin? People have different ideas of what a detailed cleaning is.
i didnt say i detailed it.

i already know what the problem is... i said it in the first post.

let me explain further. i have about 12k rounds through my XD, i know where my trigger reset is, i'm not a novice shooter.

when i shoot, especially in competition conditions, i dont slap the trigger... meaning i release the trigger to its reset then pull agian. after 12k rounds through my gun i know where that reset is. when i shot tonight, on 4 occasions i released to the point where the trigger is supposed to reset, but it didnt. for it to have reset i would have had to release the trigger past the normal reset point. thats why when i squeezed nothing happend.

after research, we found that the trigger reset randomely shifted(we replicated the "malfunction"). "gunk" build up around the fireing pin has nothing to do with it.

please reread my first post carefully

maybe it would have been easier if i would have just asked "what causes the reset to randomely lengthen?"

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
therooster

Unload the weapon and try a functions test first. I will assume especially since you did test the pistol slow that you let the trigger fully return to the front position. Sometime during compititions people will not let the trigger go forward enough to reset. Second question did you have any smithing done to the trigger?

Now the test with the pistol unloaded pull the slide back to cock the stiker. Then slowly pull the tigger and hold it all the way back. Now pull the slide back again to cock the striker. The stiker indicator should show out of the rear (the sear has reenguaged the striker). Now slowly let your trigger go until you hear a click (the trigger bar resetting) now pull the trigger and the pistol should release the stiker as if to shoot. Try this a couple of times and see if everything is fine. If not I would recomend you send it back to SA or continue if your a do it your selfer.

First make shure that the trigger bar is normal.
1st check to see if the hump on the trigger bar is intact the hump is on the right hand side sticking up. The xd resets by this hump when the slide is closed the hump sticks up into the slide. Check the slide and on the ejection port side to the rear you will see a half round cut in the slide. With the slide closed the hump fits in the cut. When the pistol fires the slide moves back and the hump gets pushed down out of that cut. With the hump down the sear is free to be pushed back up since nohing holds it down and catch the stiker. Then when you let the trigger go that hump moves forward and back into that cut and pops up again and the hool at the end of the trigger bar reenguges the firing pin safety.

to see all this in action take the slide off the frame and one look at the round cut on the slide. Next take the frame like as if to shoot a pistol. Pull the trigger and you will see the trigger bar move back about 1-2mm (if not trigger work done) before anything else moves. You will see the hump move to the rear then after the pretravel the hook grabs a nub on the bottom of the striker safety lever in the picture below its the one to the left.

then the safety lever will move up just a bit then the safety lever will grab the sear and rotate it down. hold the trigger back and then use your finger to simulate the slide. Take your finger and push the hump down the sear should have poped back up. release the hump and let the trigger go the hump pops back up and forward.

If your reset really is not working go down the check list
is the hump still there?
is any thing in the half round cut in the slide like lots of grease and carbon build up?

you will have to take apart the frame to test these.
is the claw at the back of the trigger bar still there? depending on your model though your trigger bar may be different. Instead of the cut to make the claw the trigger bar was designed stronger by not having that cut shown on the right side but should still have a claw.

next check the safety lever does it still have its nubs.

while the pistol is apart was there any build up on the frame where the trigger bar is? maybe something went back there and underneith the trigger bar to block its proper function.

This is more than enough to get you into trouble.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ajames, thanks for the knowledgeable reply.

i have no trigger work (yet).

ajamesp51 said:
Now the test with the pistol unloaded pull the slide back to cock the stiker. Then slowly pull the tigger and hold it all the way back. Now pull the slide back again to cock the striker. The stiker indicator should show out of the rear (the sear has reenguaged the striker). Now slowly let your trigger go until you hear a click (the trigger bar resetting) now pull the trigger and the pistol should release the stiker as if to shoot. Try this a couple of times and see if everything is fine. If not I would recomend you send it back to SA or continue if your a do it your selfer.
this is exactly what we did to test it.

ajamesp51 said:
Now slowly let your trigger go until you hear a click (the trigger bar resetting) now pull the trigger and the pistol should release the stiker as if to shoot.
the bold part is where we ran into the problem. while slowly letting the trigger go to reset, every once in a while it would have to be let go about 1/32 to a 1/16 of an inch farther for it to reset. i just want to know what would cause this, and if a trigger job would fix it?

i dont have time to completely dissasemble my gun tonight. maybe i can give you a call tomarrow morning and we can discuss this.

thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The only thing I can think of now is that something is broke or bent ie the hook. Or something like crud has built up under the trigger bar.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... i'm hoping its just crud buildup. i will give it a complete stripdown/cleaning when i get a chance and report back on monday after this saturdays steel match.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello everyone;
i can't give you a exact answer.
I have noticed while learning to do trigger jobs on the xd that if you have the slide off and go through the reset test that ajames discribed, if you hold the fireing pin safty lever up a little with your finger while letting the trigger return it will reset in a shorter (sooner)distance. how this relates to your problem i don't know, but it does change the distance required to reset the trigger.
were you shooting reloads? if the case length was too long it could put the slide slightly out of battery. if the slide was out to far the gun would not fire, but if only out a few thousendth of an inch i believe it could cause you to be forced to let the trigger out farther. just a guess
rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts