Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
EFMJ is what I recently started carrying.

Ok, 1 round didn't penetrate a steel plate in the dude's skull. Somehow I doubt a hollowpoint would have either. Just about anything is going to ricochet off that unless it is a dead on shot. Hell, bullets ricochet of skulls w/ alarming regularity.

Now in regards to the second one where it didn't penetrate the coat, I think I would rather not get the penetration and have the full impact energy of the round transfered to the BG rather than shoot the little kid behind him that I can't see because he is wearing some behemoth parka. The impact alone should take a bit of wind out of his sails and at the very least slow the attack, possibly giving me a chance to retreat w/o having to actually kill the guy. IF not, hey, I've got another 13-15 rds to go depending on what I am carrying that day.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Good grief!! These people are referring to FMJ's as "through and through bullets"! What the crap?! Would that be a TAT? Puh-lease!

Anyway...the EFMJ bullets did not get very good ratings when they came out and were tested by Gary Roberts and David Difabio, two people with long track records and lots of experience whose opinions I value. That's why I've never considered them for carry. I believe both of them said they'd only use them if they were in places such as New Jersey that do not allow conventional hollowpoints, which display more consistent performance than the EFMJs.

brad cook

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Another failed to penetrate a robber's winter coat.
i have heard of this before, anyone else? i have been told that some cops up north carry FMJs (non hollowpoint) rounds during the winter because of this.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
These must be the Federal EFMJs...
Why were they aiming for the HEAD?
I carry FMJ in my XD 9mm in the winter and JHP in the summer.
9mm JHP do not penetrate heavy jackets very well...I would imagine the same thing with the EFMJ.......I have consider carry these in my Sig P220 .45ACP.......but I have stuck with my HydraShocks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like they might need to go retro-back to the old standby .357 magnum. I never heard any problem with 125 grain JHP's not being able to go through a leather jacket.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
After reading about which ammo is the best, which does this, or which one does that....and now this deal about the bullet bouncin off of skulls....or not goin through thick clothes.
In my humble opinion, I don't care if they're wearing a dozen layers of clothes, are 400lbs, and have a thick skull.....if you take a shot at a bad guy at fairly close range he'll feel it. It might not kill the dude or whatever, it definately won't feel very good to the perp. Imagin comin at someone and suddenly bein hit with a sledgehammer.
I've talked to some cops about what it felt like to be shot while wearin body armor.....some broken or bruised ribs, unreal bruising, havin the wind knocked out of ya, and in some cases concussions after havin rounds bounce off of Kevlar helmets. No it didn't kill em , but they had to stop in they're tracks for a minute....long enough to check yourself out.
I imagine a bad guy will have to do the same...long enough for follow up shots, or to get the hell outta there!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The guy over at the Box O' Truth shot some JHPs through pine 3/4" boards and the 9mm went through 8 boards and the .45 went through 7. The points filled up with wood and didn't expand, but maybe that's just cause they were Federal (not sure, I've heard those don't expand as reliably as some other brands). Not the utmost scientific test but I imagine a bullet that can go through that much wood could go through a jacket.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Just something to think about; during oft repeated training sessions, we it was impressed upon us that, if a person had his heart completely blown out of his body, he still had about 15 secs to do damage to you before his brain registered he was dead.

Now, I don't know the veracity of that statement, but I do know I wouldn't want to be in a position to find out if it was true or false. That's why they trained us to continue shooting until the threat was stopped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts