Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another possibly dumb question(s):

can any grain ammo, say 9mm 115 gr, 124 gr, etc, be fired from a 9mm pistol? what's the difference (other that weight of the slug)? what would you use for what, and why have i seen prices for some "higher" grains cheaper than lower?

·
Registered
45 Posts
115grain FMJ is common... can be found at most stores such as Wal Mart in 100 packs....this is my two cents worth...
I reload 124 grain in lead and FMJ... this is my favorite bullet weigh... :twisted:

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Try going to this site http://www.tacticalforums.com/ , then goto "the terminal effects" section, then goto "LE gel testing", then bookmark it. You can learn a lot of stuff here(there) about bullets and what they can do.

FYI- they shoot different grain bullets into "ballistics gel". This is a gel like product that simulates going into a human body. Doing this allows them to see how far in different bullets and different power loads will penetrate whatever, be it skin, denim, glass, drywall, etc.

The different weights of bullets, 115 gr, 124 gr are different weights of bullets. The heavier they are, the more likely they are to "stop" what you are trying to , stop.

For killing paper at the range, 115 gr is just fine, WWB (winchester white box), umc brands do just fine for this.

For personal home protection, that is up to you and your circumstances, in the house only, carry weapon, etc.

WWB is a "ball ammo"
then you can have hollow points, those bullets "open up" inside of your target of substance and cause more damage, IE, more bleeding thru torn flesh.
There are all sorts of ammo out there, I would recommend going to a Gander Mountain or Gun store and looking for the free ammo flyer's / posters that they have there. Very informative.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
115 gr fmj for fun (cheap) WWB, Blazer, Wolf. 147gr hollowpoints Ranger for carry.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
can any grain ammo, say 9mm 115 gr, 124 gr, etc, be fired from a 9mm pistol?
YES

what's the difference (other that weight of the slug)?
Penetrating power and speed of slug

what would you use for what
see my first post,

and why have i seen prices for some "higher" grains cheaper than lower?
Cheap bullets are for throwing lead down range at the range
More expensive bullets are for stopping bad guys.

Some guns will only work great with some bullets. You may have to try a few different brands of ammo to find out what feeds thru yours with no problems.

Cheap ammo-
WOLF brand, shoots but is "dirty" requireing more cleaning after use.
WWB- mega packs availible at walmart
UMC large packs- availible at gun stores
CCI Blazer- gun store

or you can goto Cabelas and buy 500 rounds of reloads for cheap, and it sometimes comes with a ammo box.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I know alot about this question from personal experience,

First let me start off by saying, i now carry the far superior .40 caliber because of the guaranteed 1 shot stops.

I carried a 9mm back in the mid 70's. There are grains of 115 through 147 commonly available for 9mm.. I personally go with the lightest grain possible.. 16rounds of 147grain = 522 more grains of weight compared to the 115's. Believe me! That extra weight really wears you down after a full day.

my .03,
why .03? because in my grandeur. I know more than the avg man's .02

welcome aboard, you find this to be a great place with alot of knowledgable people like myself

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, you guys are good. just what i needed to know. thanks.

btw, one other question: what's your $0.02 worth on the cleanest range ammo, and most reliable. i've heard wolf is "dirtier" and not as reliable as the "big 5" u.s.a. made ammos, so just wondering opinions from "the real world."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and to beardXXXd, nice pics. my range bag is an eddie bauer 14 or 16" travel duffel i found on clearance at target for $7.48, black with, of all things, what looks like O.D. trim. the main compartment can hold a glock and xd in their cases, front compartment holds ammo and extras. much better than paying $40-100 for a true "range bag."

·
Registered
338 Posts
You all are full of it. You won't admit that your puny bullets are crap. 10mm IS DA BOMB! IT ROCKS!

</masterfrog3_impersonation>

:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
First let me start off by saying, i now carry the far superior .40 caliber because of the guaranteed 1 shot stops.

I carried a 9mm back in the mid 70's. There are grains of 115 through 147 commonly available for 9mm.. I personally go with the lightest grain possible.. 16rounds of 147grain = 522 more grains of weight compared to the 115's. Believe me! That extra weight really wears you down after a full day.

my .03,
why .03? because in my grandeur. I know more than the avg man's .02
Let me start off by saying there is no such thing as a guaranteed one shot stop. Except in hollywood. No ammo manufacturer would ever make such a claim.

Secondly, if that extra ounce of ammunition weighed you down enough to tucker you out by the end of the day then you need to get to the gym.

Dude, I think you owe the man at least 1.5 cents

·
Registered
56 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
I know alot about this question from personal experience,

Gadget said:
You all are full of it. You won't admit that your puny bullets are crap. 10mm IS DA BOMB! IT ROCKS!

</masterfrog3_impersonation>

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you guys are a riot!! I love the masterFROG3 thats great!!.. seriously though.. dont you think its about time we eased up on him?... nahhhh me neither!! let the stoning continue :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
One thing I don't believe was mentioned: if you have a fixed sight gun, you can use different weight loads to adjust your point of impact (in terms of elevation). Heavier weight, lower velocity bullets tend to impact higher than do lighter weight , higher velocity bullets. This tendency is not ALWAYS true, but is often enough to try it if you have a POA vs. POI problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cor-Bon 115 gr or 124 gr. These are = to + p, police only loads. Stay away from the 147 gr. hollowpoints. When a 9mm is moving at .45 acp velocity, it's a very feeble round(regardless of what every self pro-claimed ballistics expert on this forum may tell you).

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I personally use 147g JHP bullet from Zero. My XDs love them and my loads are very accurate. I have hand-loaded over 2000 rounds and have not had a single failure of any kind. I also gave some to friends (on this board too) and they also liked the load.

OS

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
it doesnt matter what you use if you cant hit anything.

a hollow point is a hollow point, it wont matter if one spreads .10 inches more than the other when you put 15 rounds into the guy.

best advice...

use a round that works in your gun... not on paper

·
Registered
416 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
There's no such thing as a "guaranteed" 1 shot stop. There's only a small difference in the terminal performance statistics of the top rated rounds when chosing between 9mm, .357mag., 40S&W, and .45acp. The spread is only a few percentage points either way. If you choose your carry round wisely you'll be okay with any of the above calibers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts