Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a bunch of ammo here. For my Xdm 9mm I'm torn between lawman 115 grain, lawman 124 grain or lawman 147 grain... all are TMJ. I want this ammo to be something I can plink around with at the range and practice AND since I plan on buying a lot of it I want to have the better of the two for SHTF or WROL.

115 grain - 368 ft lbs 1200 fps

124 grain - 327 ft lbs 1090 fps

147 grain - 317 ft lbs 985 fps

They are all the same price and I carry 124 plus p. So to mimic and / or be as close to my carry load would also be preferable. What do you guys think would be the best??? Thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I also prefer heavier, but if you are already carrying 124gr then why not just buy a similar bullet weight to match your carry ammo??

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
Ok, reality check.

It's not gonna matter.

No, seriously--it's not gonna matter.

If you're practicing taking shots at extreme range, then the POA/poi differences between the different weights night make a difference, but...if you're like most shooters and think 50 feet is a long shot--it's not gonna matter.

Get what's cheapest.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Don't overthink it. Lawman are good, but no better than Freedom Munitions, unless your range requires TMJ over FMJ. Practice with theose, but buy and choot enough of your carry ammo that you know how it behaves, too. I'm liking my Underwood 124g +p+ using the Speer "gold dot" bullets just fine. Buy and stock enough of the carry-grade ammo to use them when the progzombies come out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Also point of aim relative to pint of impact on farther targets might vary between the different projectiles based on velocity.

You'd have to do the math to see if the mass times velocity makes much difference in the energy delivered at the point of impact.

For hollow points I would think the expansion would be largely driven by velocity assuming factors such as construction are the same, meaning that speed alone is not the only factor in expansion but if all other things are equal a faster projectile will expand more than a slower one.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
or just learn to handload and cut out the middle man BS ;)

Reactions: JJ119

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
I would never hand load a SHTF bullet my life depended on.
Interesting; why do you say that?

I ask, because one of the main reasons that people who carry handloads for self defense give us that their QC is leaps and bounds higher than any mass produced rounds.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I would never hand load a SHTF bullet my life depended on.
I have several different retorts to this...but I am going to take the high road and try to enlighten rather than mock your misconceptions...

My handloads are every bit as good as your precious factory ammo; I would wager that a majority of the time, they are better because my QC process focuses on quality not profit...I can also control the load dynamics by loading for a specific platform to get desired performance--not some backed-down subpar loading, approved by lawyers so John Q. Dumbass doesn't blow off his hand shooting full-power ammo in his Hi-Point...

The misconceptions about handloading stem from the mythos surrounding people that have largely done it incorrectly and rather than admitting the facts, have spread rumors based in complete fallacy that handloads are inherently lower quality than factory ammo, which is just ridiculous...

The cost savings argument for handloading is equally stupid...it is a side effect for many calibers, but the primary reason to reload is the quality control and better performance of the finished product...factory ammo, afterall, is just an expensive handload

Reactions: JJ119

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting; why do you say that?

I ask, because one of the main reasons that people who carry handloads for self defense give us that their QC is leaps and bounds higher than any mass produced rounds.
I've seen people's hand loads go wrong every way possible.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts