Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently it was the fault of a reloaded round, brass used a few too many times and it blew.

He was shooting an XD. He fired a shot, smoke flew out of every part of the gun. Magazine flew out, burned his hands a little. Apparently something hit him in the mouth too because he was spitting out pieces of casing, and even spit out a piece of one of his teeth.

Be careful with your reloading everyone, make sure you know how many times that brass has been shot!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Definately something to keep in mind. Are they thinking it was primarily a weak case, or too much powder?
Did you happen to get to look at the gun and see how much damage it had?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It could have been any number of things; obstruction, double charge, wrong bullet, wrong powder, etc. Let me hazard to guess; it was a 40 & he was using TG trying to make major? That is where my money is at. More info would be nice. Lots of KBs w/ the 40 because guys use the wrong powders for the wrong things. You can reload a case a dozen times & not have it fail using the right powders to reach the vel level you seek within a safer pressure zone. Reloading isn't rocket science, but far too many get the wrong info from this or that other reloader/shooter & never factor in all the variables. It's not baking a cake, mess it up & things go bang on the wrong end. I am glad he wasnt' injured too badly.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
how many times can you reload a casing?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'll stick to factory rounds, I like my teeth... and my face... and my hands... and my gun
Ha, Clint, no guts no glory? Really, reloading is quite safe, but you do have to pay attention & you do have to know more than just buy a press & start pulling the handle. I'v been reloading for some 35yrs now, 10s of 1000s of rounds, never a serious mishap. Yes I pay attention, yes it requires patience & some knowledge but safely & easily done for any caliber, handgun, rifle or shotgun. I have bet my life on handloads in Africa after buffalo on more than one occasion. I reload my handgun practice/match ammo with the same care, as if my life depnds on it. It's working so far.;)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Ha, Clint, no guts no glory? Really, reloading is quite safe, but you do have to pay attention & you do have to know more than just buy a press & start pulling the handle. I'v been reloading for some 35yrs now, 10s of 1000s of rounds, never a serious mishap. Yes I pay attention, yes it requires patience & some knowledge but safely & easily done for any caliber, handgun, rifle or shotgun. I have bet my life on handloads in Africa after buffalo on more than one occasion. I reload my handgun practice/match ammo with the same care, as if my life depnds on it. It's working so far.;)
I like my guts on the inside:shock:

Honestly, I'm probably too lazy to get into reloading... start up costs are a bit pricey as well, but I guess you have to look at it like an investment where in the long term you save money. For me, I would rather spend a couple extra bucks and not have to have an assembly line setup going on to get my ammo, but thats just me and could be because I live in an apartment, and 2 year olds keep you busy, time is money LOL!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
how many times can you reload a casing?
That's a loaded question ... LOL

It really depends on the caliber, and more so than anything, how hot you load it.

Some rounds might only be reloaded a few times, and others can seem to go for a very long time ... 10-12 reloads on a 45ACP is pretty common.

Full on hunting loads = Very few.
And bottle-neck cartridges that get necked and resized ... Yea, this is a loaded question ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's hard to put the amount of cycles brass can safely be used to reload. Some brands are a little bit thicker then the other. I would only go about 3-4 times on once fired brass.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

Honestly, I'm probably too lazy to get into reloading... start up costs are a bit pricey as well, but I guess you have to look at it like an investment where in the long term you save money. For me, I would rather spend a couple extra bucks and not have to have an assembly line setup going on to get my ammo, but thats just me and could be because I live in an apartment, and 2 year olds keep you busy, time is money LOL!
Understand, but I couldn't afford to shoot enough to get good enough if I had to rely on factory ammo, especially at todays prices.:shock: I get to shoot twice as much for the same cost or less as factory.
Enjoy the 2yr old, they grow up sooo fast.:)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Factory loads are not perfect! Check all the ammo recalls if you don't believe.

I have had 2 mishaps using factory loads, both with fiochi brand, the mag was blown from the gun and the extractor was gone never to be seen again.

The case head on both rounds separated and left the remainder of the case stuck in the chamber.

This happened with 2 different guns, a sig and a glock both in 40 s&w.

Both companies repaired the damage for free even though it was the fault of the ammo.

don

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That's a loaded question ... LOL

It really depends on the caliber, and more so than anything, how hot you load it.

Some rounds might only be reloaded a few times, and others can seem to go for a very long time ... 10-12 reloads on a 45ACP is pretty common.

Full on hunting loads = Very few.
And bottle-neck cartridges that get necked and resized ... Yea, this is a loaded question ;)
Haha ok so it is very situational. Is there a way to measure life left? How do you keep track? I assume they will wear unevenly so how do you know if it is still safe with out the obvious trial and error which is not a good idea.

Sorry I want to get into reloading by end of year and figured it is easier to learn slowly while building up to it so I am not learning as much at one time.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Haha ok so it is very situational. Is there a way to measure life left? How do you keep track? I assume they will wear unevenly so how do you know if it is still safe with out the obvious trial and error which is not a good idea.

Sorry I want to get into reloading by end of year and figured it is easier to learn slowly while building up to it so I am not learning as much at one time.
If you are talking handgun rounds then the case mouth will crack before any thing else, if you are loading at reasonable pressures.

Rifle rounds will last longer at lower pressure as well. Neck sizing for use in the same bolt gun will increase case life.

Some brands of brass will last longer then others but that will depend on the lot of brass, not all lots are equal!

don

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Reloading really sounds more and more like something that is not good to teach your self by reading about it. I need to find someone in my area to teach me the basics... Not something I want to screw up. Thanks for the help AZXD and dglock /threadjack ended

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
No, you can do it like that...many have. The interwebz are a big help at times too. Read the ABC's of Reloading a couple of times and you will know what you will be needing to do. Where everyone gets into trouble is pushing the limit to make a PF or just live on the edge. If you load by the book, be careful, check and recheck everything and work up slowly, you will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Reloading really sounds more and more like something that is not good to teach your self by reading about it. I need to find someone in my area to teach me the basics... Not something I want to screw up. Thanks for the help AZXD and dglock /threadjack ended
I learned to reload by reading reloading manuals way before there was an internet. You can learn it just takes dedication to learn how to do it right and pay attention to what your doing.

Fred for a .40 cal making major doesn't take much and it doesn't take max or over max loads. 180gr at 930 fps makes. Now pushing a 9mm to major that's another thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I reload my 45 ACP brass repeatly until a crack appears. I've not had an issue to date from at least my reloading of the cases 15 plus times and they were used plenty hard before I aquired the cases from a friend. I make just be lucky.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Apparently it was the fault of a reloaded round, brass used a few too many times and it blew.

He was shooting an XD. He fired a shot, smoke flew out of every part of the gun. Magazine flew out, burned his hands a little. Apparently something hit him in the mouth too because he was spitting out pieces of casing, and even spit out a piece of one of his teeth.

Be careful with your reloading everyone, make sure you know how many times that brass has been shot!
Probably had nothing to do with number of times case reloaded! :rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Factory loads are not perfect! Check all the ammo recalls if you don't believe.

I have had 2 mishaps using factory loads, both with fiochi brand, the mag was blown from the gun and the extractor was gone never to be seen again.

The case head on both rounds separated and left the remainder of the case stuck in the chamber.

This happened with 2 different guns, a sig and a glock both in 40 s&w.

Both companies repaired the damage for free even though it was the fault of the ammo.

don
I dont disagree with that, but I'm sure the odds of mucking up a reload are much higher than getting a bad factory load for your average person... and like you said, its a lot easier to get compensated if the factory ammo messes up than if you do;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts