Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given several hundred rounds of Federal Premium 9mm +P+
124 grain HYDRA-SHOK JHP...

Can these rounds be safely fired in my XD-9 Service ?
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Short answer....Yep. I would'nt shoot ALOT of them. It could speed up the wear and tear of your weapon.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
As was said, they'll add wear potential, but probably won't hurt the gun.

Be advised, there is no actual definition of a +P+ in 9mm, so it could be anything, but I also expect the XD(m) will digest it with no real effort, if it's commercially produced.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
+P+ 124 grain hydrashoks step out at a whopping 1170fps. Geco 124 grain ball you get at walmart steps out at 1220fps and the box does not wear a +P+.

Which load will wear your pistol out faster?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Even though the XD will digest and handel the +P ammo, I would shoot only enough of it to know that it feeds reliably in your weapon, and that your proficient with it.
Why would ya want to hammer it all the time for just target practice?? ;)

Ya got a couple hundered rounds. Fire off 50 or so at each one of your range "dates". Keep enough to keep all your mags. full.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
+P+ 124 grain hydrashoks step out at a whopping 1170fps. Geco 124 grain ball you get at walmart steps out at 1220fps and the box does not wear a +P+.

Which load will wear your pistol out faster?
You're on ignore :mrgreen:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even though the XD will digest and handel the +P ammo, I would shoot only enough of it to know that it feeds reliably in your weapon, and that your proficient with it.

Ya got a couple hundered rounds. Fire off 50 or so at each one of your range "dates". Keep enough to keep all your mags. full.
+1 :)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa, before we get too far down the road lets clarify.

As was alluded to by AZXD +P ammo is a "hotter" load than regular ammo but it has an industry maximum pressure rating and many/most pistol manufacturers these days build to those standards. However +P+ ammo has no industry standard at all and can be ANY pressure rating.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Speed up wear and tear? How many thousand rounds are you shooting a month?

The only reason I wouldn't blow through it all is because it's not very economical to shoot expensive ammo just for practice. On the other hand it was free so you decide. What caliber is your gun? What caliber is your ammo? Go shoot and stop worrying.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

If the gun is rated for the ammo, I don't worry about it. There is no spec for +p+, so it could be anything. As previously stated, there are several hotter loads out there, including Corbon DPX at 1220, and others.

I practice with standard range ammo, and run a mag of carry ammo through my EDC at every session. Although I could practice with my carry ammo, it's not cost effective.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa, before we get too far down the road lets clarify.

As was alluded to by AZXD +P ammo is a "hotter" load than regular ammo but it has an industry maximum pressure rating and many/most pistol manufacturers these days build to those standards. However +P+ ammo has no industry standard at all and can be ANY pressure rating.
Keep in mind that the 124 +P+ hydrashok is only stepping out at 1170fps. Blackhills +P 124 load hits a solid 1250. with no extra + behind the P

In the case of the extra + on the Federal box, it is a sales gimmick and nothing more. It barely beats its 'standard' pressure little brother load......

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Without knowing the pressures of the rounds, Boris it's purely speculative as to what's +P and +P+. Velocity does not tell you what pressure each load has, there are more variables that need to be taking into consideration.

·
Registered
460 Posts
you'll be fine. unless it's reloads you stand a very low chance of actually messing your gun up. most ammo manufactures understand that if their ammo damages gun, eventually people will stop buying their crap...not a good business strategy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your responses to my question...As I have about 500 rounds of the stuff, I don't suppose I will use it up any time soon if at all....I'm just going to run about 50 rounds through it and if all is well it will become my carry defensive load.

For what it's worth I only shoot standard pressure stuff in both my XD and P-11...But hey....the +P+ was a gift !

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Without knowing the pressures of the rounds, Boris it's purely speculative as to what's +P and +P+. Velocity does not tell you what pressure each load has, there are more variables that need to be taking into consideration.

Federal and Winchester +P+ are not loaded past 38,500psi. That means they are really just good ole +P. Alot of people shoot BlackHills 124 grain +P that hits 1250fps and dont think twice because it dont wear that extra +. It is pretty plain and simple that the same weight BH +P load would have to be loaded to a higher pressure to reach a higher velocity. Too easy to understand. 1170fps is pretty anemic compared to most service grade 124s for 9mm. Now take a look at 9AP, Gecco 124 ball, M882 ball, S&B POLICE label. Not a single one of them boxes wear a + a P or an extra + and people will believe they are doing no extra wear (as some say) based on the simple fact the box does not have a gimmicky +P+ on it even though they are loaded much more hot than the Hydrashok +P+ loads. The Federal 124 Hydrashok is the weakest +P+ you can get. Most simple +P loads the same weight are faster. You would have to compress a load with Norma R1 or similar powder to raise pressures to a dangerous level in regular 9x19mm loads that would yield lower velocity with a higher pressure. I doubt Federal uses powders that damn near detonate just to raise pressure so they can get slower velocity just so they can label it +P+.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Federal and Winchester +P+ are not loaded past 38,500psi. That means they are really just good ole +P. Alot of people shoot BlackHills 124 grain +P that hits 1250fps and dont think twice because it dont wear that extra +. It is pretty plain and simple that the same weight BH +P load would have to be loaded to a higher pressure to reach a higher velocity. Too easy to understand. 1170fps is pretty anemic compared to most service grade 124s for 9mm. Now take a look at 9AP, Gecco 124 ball, M882 ball, S&B POLICE label. Not a single one of them boxes wear a + a P or an extra + and people will believe they are doing no extra wear (as some say) based on the simple fact the box does not have a gimmicky +P+ on it even though they are loaded much more hot than the Hydrashok +P+ loads. The Federal 124 Hydrashok is the weakest +P+ you can get. Most simple +P loads the same weight are faster. You would have to compress a load with Norma R1 or similar powder to raise pressures to a dangerous level in regular 9x19mm loads that would yield lower velocity with a higher pressure. I doubt Federal uses powders that damn near detonate just to raise pressure so they can get slower velocity just so they can label it +P+.
For someone who claims to have a score of reloading books you don't seem to understand that powder, bullet shape, and yes even case brand, barrel length, and even rifling are all variables that effect pressure and velocity. Ammo companies don't all use the same powder, case, primer and bullets. Making a blanket statement that because this round has X velocity and that round has Y velocity they have Z pressure is idiotic. Assuming what Federal does is just that an assumption.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Assuming what Federal does is just that an assumption.

And for you to assume this load is hotter than Gecco 124 ball, M882 ball, S&B POLICE label, Fiocchi 9AP and so on is plain false information. The only difference is the +P+ sends chills down the spines of novice shooters when it caomes to 9x19mm. Them CIP and NATO loads I listed are all hotter than this Federal +P+ load in question yet you and droves of other shooters assume them loads wear the gun less because of the lack of the +P+ shock and awe printed on the box.

If you feel the need to advise against the use of this dangerous firearm destroying ammo then you should add the majority of CIP approved 9x19mm loads too, they are loaded hotter. Just trying to help you out. Dont know why you refuse to acknowledge these CIP loads are hotter than SAAMI +P or +P+.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I'm not hear to continue the on going CIP VS SAAMI crap. I'm not assuming anything you are. If the load is labeled +P+ then it has to exceed +P SAMMI specs. How much I don't know and personally I don't care. I've never seen the need for +P or +P+ ammo. CIP, SAAMI, who cares? Does the round meet FBI or IWBA protocols that's what I look for.
Look through my posts on this thread. Where did I make any advice against your beloved CIP specs or call the round dangerous?

Where did I post that your beloved CIP is less POWERFULL than SAAMI specs?

Nobody is slamming your CIP calm down. All I said is you are assuming pressures for load by comparing velocities without considering, powder, bullet, case, and primer. You can't make a blanket statement like you did without real facts.

The a round, in the US that to be labeled +P it has to have certain pressure window, MAX, MIN. For a round to be +P+ it has to be over that limit. That's what specs are for. Mind you, PRESSURE not velocity.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts