Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the ammo shortage going on I was wondering if there is a brand that the XD doesn't like in case I am in a store that has ammo and I am not sure if the XD likes it. I have shot Blazer Brass, Aguila, Fiocchi, Remington (green box), and a couple of others that I don't remember and my XD liked it all.
What should I avoid that has been problematic for the XD?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Federal Classic JHP had a 20% failure rate for me yesterday. Other then that any ammo even the cheapest dirtiest crap from a gunshow fires everytime no matter what. Buy anything you can afford.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I think each individual gun has it's own preferences. Unlike 2fast4ya, my 45C has only had one FTF with Federal JHP and I've probably put 250 rounds of it through it and another 600+ of WWB without any FTF. I would advise that you try to stock up on what you know works or you might end up with something that won't feed in your pistol.

·
Registered
787 Posts
With the ammo shortage going on I was wondering if there is a brand that the XD doesn't like in case I am in a store that has ammo and I am not sure if the XD likes it. I have shot Blazer Brass, Aguila, Fiocchi, Remington (green box), and a couple of others that I don't remember and my XD liked it all.
What should I avoid that has been problematic for the XD?
I've never had an issue with anything FMJ. Just steer clear of the semi-wadcutter stuff and test a minimum of 50 of any HP you want to stock up on.

I am laying up about 1000rds of FMJ "just in case."

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Every pistol is a little different. What may be quirky in my XD45 may not be in yours or someone else. So far, my XD45 only has hiccuped on Federal JHP. I have not shot any reloads or lead in my pistol, so I can't make any comment on them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most reliable is 230 grain round nose FMJ of probably any brand that has a generally good name. Less reliable are flattened noses, hollow points or anything less slippery than round nose...especially semi-wadcutter. Generally lighter bullets are less certain to make the slide fully function. Generally slightly more horsepower makes a slide more certain to function and slightly less power(light load) is not as certain to fully cycle.
All of the above can vary somewhat from gun to gun or with guns that have had "work" done on them so your mileage may vary.
FWIW I've lately adopted Double Tap loads which are somewhat "hot" without actually being +P for my carry ammo. Practice ammo can be any handload or store bought with lead or jacket but preferably same weight so it's similar to carry loads.
I put reliability first in carry loads and feel what I've settled on is the most reliable combination possible. All the arguments about FMJ versus expanding seem less important to me than reliable feeding. I don't want click to be the last sound I ever hear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got well over 5K rounds through my service model and it has NEVER hiccuped. I have put just about every kind of .45ACP threw her, and she has never failed me. With that said, for FMJ I tend to stay with WWB and CCI (Blazer or Brass). She is currently loaded w/ 230gr HST2, of which she's got over 400rds threw the pipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One thing to remember:

When buying ammo, be sure that the casing is brass... If it is something harder and is nicked and fed into a pipe may not come out and when the next round is fed and jammed may, like in my case, go boom in your face...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just purchased an XD.45C about a month ago at a local gun show and have been firing every kind of ammo i can get my hands on, so far the .45 does not care what ammo i use, the best advice i can give you is to go to the range and do the same, that way there will be no doubt in your mind about it.
Good luck 8)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I agree with Larry. I shoot Federal Am Eagle, Winchester, Remington, Speer Lawman, CCI etc with no jams. For SD my Winchester Ranger T's and Speer GDs have been flawless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts