Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just purchased my first Mosin Nagant today from Classic Arms. Got a hex receiver Tula M91/30 for around $95 bucks. Now my question is should I get the bulk ammo can of 440 rounds that is corrosive or splurge for something non-corrosive but much more expensive? What do you guys shoot? Any advice would be much appreciated? Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to order some of that right now. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Get the cheap stuff. Just run some Hopps #9 down the barrel after the range and you will be fine.
Agreed.

There is nothing wrong with the cheap surplus stuff in the spam cans. It shoot it all the time with absolutely no trouble. I see no difference between the surplus ammo and the more expensive stuff, except for price.

If you look around on various MN forums on the internet, you will encounter a lot of people who are scared to death about shooting corrosive surplus ammo. They spend two, three hours or more cleaning their rifles with Windex and other concoctions. I guess if it makes you feel better, that's okay. I have found it to be unnecessary.

I clean immediately after shooting, while the gun is warm. I use Hoppes No. 9 soaked patches and a .30 caliber barrel brush. I clean the chamber with a 9mm barrel brush. After I clean out the Hoppes with dry patches, I spray CLP in the barrel and chamber and run a dry patch through to mop up the excess. It only takes me about 15, 20 minutes to clean the rifle. I use maybe 15 patches at most.

BTW, I have been told that even though the more expensive stuff from Russia is labeled "Non-Corrosive," it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts