Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read everyone writing about the very high end handgun ammo..This is ok for me for everyday carry and I have 3x50 boxes.. But for and I hate to use this term for SHTF how can most normal people afford to buy the stuff I am talking about hundreds of rounds.. In my area they go for almost 1 dollar per round if you can find it.. with Winchester white box I can afford hundreds of rounds..I know that in actual shooting incidents there are more misses than hits for the normal person. I am new to this site as far as posting questions and if I sound blunt sorry..I just like to know all I can Thanks !

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
In a real SHTF situation, you're not gonna be concerned about a "justified shooting", it's him/them or me. A bunch of hollow point bullets are real practical to have on hand, hell, even FMJ will do if it's a big enough caliber and a well placed hit. Your mental ability to do what's necessary will be the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The way I figure it, I'd settle for 4 or 5 mags worth of high quality HP, and focus on "stockpiling" something affordable. Others may disagree, but that's how I figure it anyway.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I read everyone writing about the very high end handgun ammo..This is ok for me for everyday carry and I have 3x50 boxes.. But for and I hate to use this term for SHTF how can most normal people afford to buy the stuff I am talking about hundreds of rounds.. In my area they go for almost 1 dollar per round if you can find it.. with Winchester white box I can afford hundreds of rounds..I know that in actual shooting incidents there are more misses than hits for the normal person. I am new to this site as far as posting questions and if I sound blunt sorry..I just like to know all I can Thanks !
Welcome to the forum, lookingtolive.
To answer your question about stocking hundreds of rounds; I have four or five boxes of 'factory' JHP, but I've got over 2,000 handloaded JHP. I mostly load FMJ or even lead for practice. I got a good deal on some GDHP bullets, some time back and have them loaded up and set aside for an emergency.
I buy my practice bullets by the case, 3700 for about $280.00. The USPS delivery man tries to take a day off when he thinks that my next order is coming!:) I couldn't do this hobby without being able to reload. And with the politics going the way that it is, I'm trying to do what I can to be prepared for the worst!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
as others have said buying on line in bulk is a great way to go. remember these are SD rounds and not going to be flung down range by the hundred every range trip.

i picked up about 5k rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP 124gr +p 9mm rounds last year at about $215 a case shipped from chesters out of NY which was about 10.75 per hundred. once i received them immediately unpacked them and put them in airtight dry storage boxes to preserve the powder and only left a few hundred rounds out. pretty much so about once every other month I fire the rounds i have been carrying and load up fresh.

this give me an opportunity to develop a memory of how it handles and feels as well as insure that my ammo stays fresh. at the longest i would go is about 6mo for ammo that i actually carry on my person daily.

if you have a CCL you know exactly how nasty the mags and bullets can get after a while of carrying.

not sure what chesters is charging now but last i checked he was up to about $285 per 1k shipped. still not a bad price considering 20 rounds is almost $20 local

what caliber do you carry?

ill see if i cant find my last invoice from chesters and get their number for anyone interested.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
found it

Chester's Hunting & Fishing

232 Ronkonkoma Ave
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
(631)738-6991

also i just called and unfortunately Chester is out of town until the 17th and his wife does not know for sure how much they are but does say that they have plenty of them for bulk sale.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
FOr a short term SHTF scenario, you are probably fine w/ 100rds. Really, how much can you carry along w/ your provisions & water. You are not going to be fighting off zombies. Pick up any decent FMJ practice ammo. Make sure your JHP ammo functions 100% in your pistol (yes, you'll have to shoot at least 50rds of it). Then stop fretting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts