Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard what is going on with ammo prices in general... and Target Sports USA specifically? They have been out of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr 250 round count for three months or so. And more to my dismay... out of Speer 115gr for a few weeks now. They have never been out of stock of Speer for more than a couple of days.

Also... their price for Speer Gold Dots 115gr went from $24 for a box of 50 to $40... of which they are also out of stock. Looks like many other sites have also raised their price of Gold Dots to $40 ... and also Speer ammo in general... and are also out of stock of certain Speer ammo.

Hope this isn't an indication of things to come.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Anybody heard what is going on with ammo prices in general... and Target Sports USA specifically? They have been out of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr 250 round count for three months or so. And more to my dismay... out of Speer 115gr for a few weeks now. They have never been out of stock of Speer for more than a couple of days.

Also... their price for Speer Gold Dots 115gr went from $24 for a box of 50 to $40... of which they are also out of stock. Looks like many other sites have also raised their price of Gold Dots to $40 ... and also Speer ammo in general... and are also out of stock of certain Speer ammo.

Hope this isn't an indication of things to come.
The Great Hoarding of 2019 has begun.

Seriously, gun folks are their own worst enemies when it comes to panics.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I maintain a healthy inventory and buy what I can afford when the pricing is low. I get the SGAmmo emails daily and it allows me to watch the price trending. Get it when it’s cheap.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not panicking... just wondering if anyone else has noticed. I've been buy a minimum of a 1000 rounds each month of 9mm... to try and build up a good inventory. Problem is... I've been shooting more than I've been purchasing... so thought I would check and see if anyone else has noticed a price increase and/or a lack of stock from vendors.

·
Registered
311 Posts

California resident here. A law was recently passed that required all ammo purchases go thru an FFL and require a background check which started July 1st (very similar to a firearm purchase including extra fee). A lot of people stocked up prior to that deadline.

You may have seen stock getting depleted due to that. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Not panicking... just wondering if anyone else has noticed. I've been buy a minimum of a 1000 rounds each month of 9mm... to try and build up a good inventory. Problem is... I've been shooting more than I've been purchasing... so thought I would check and see if anyone else has noticed a price increase and/or a lack of stock from vendors.
Not accusing you; sorry if it came across that way.

But if stocks are going down and prices are going up...that’s traditionally the reason.

Meanwhile...I’m ordering more powder, primers and bullets...been stocking up on carry ammo, I’m good for a while, but if I see deals, I'll likely order some when I normally wouldn’t.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... no problem.

I sure would like to know why the Gold Dots almost doubled in price, though... seems a little excessive to me. Should have purchased more of those I guess... I didn't see the price increase coming.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, on Streicher's I see no HST or Gold Dot in any caliber.

Finding the two flavors of 9mm ball that I prefer has been spotty at the two or three suppliers I use most, but I can usually find something that'll work at a decent price.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thanks... no problem.

I sure would like to know why the Gold Dots almost doubled in price, though... seems a little excessive to me. Should have purchased more of those I guess... I didn't see the price increase coming.
Gold Dot and also Federal HST ammo almost doubled overnight about the first of the year IIRC. The notification I saw on several different web sights where I bought Federal HST in the past said that the manufacturers were demanding sellers to only sell to law enforcement in the 50 round boxes. Same goes for Speer Gold Dot. The price of the 20 round boxes remained fairly stable. But of course they already were twice as expensive per round as a 50 round box. No idea why UMC is hard to find, but then, I don't use UMC so I really haven't noticed.

You might try another source for the UMC and Speer Lawman. Try SGammo, Brownells, Midway USA, Academy.

·
Premium Member
17,722 Posts
Dang it.

Well I have a decent amount of HST, so will wait to see what happens next.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Dang it.

Well I have a decent amount of HST, so will wait to see what happens next.
I switched to them in maybe May, so just a few months ago. Picked up 300 rounds at $24.99/50 count box.

If they go up to almost a buck a round, I'll probably go back to something else. I really don't find it any use to get screwed by Federal or Speer (I run Gold Dot in my two micro 9's, but I hardly carry them, so one 50 round box that I have will last several years) when there's other options available that aren't as stupid expensive.

I ran Golden Sabre for many years, and have no qualms with UMC JHP, either.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sooo... I’m confused.
Ha, thanks. The joint I ordered from gear towards LE, and right after I placed my order, HST got scarce, but they still had Gold Dot. They don't sell a bunch of ammo, though. I do remember seeing at least one other joint, pretty recently, with similar prices as SG.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it helps, Speer Lawman is supposed to be ballistically similar to the HST loads, allowing for more practice at a lower price. I recently picked up a half case of their 147 grain stuff, and I plan to work up a handload too, for if/when everything dries up again.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If it helps, Speer Lawman is supposed to be ballistically similar to the HST loads, allowing for more practice at a lower price. I recently picked up a half case of their 147 grain stuff, and I plan to work up a handload too, for if/when everything dries up again.
I bought three boxes of the 115 in my last ammo order. (Place a big order from somewhere that has decent by the box deals, and I'll try new stuff periodically).
Ran a box of it between my two Berettas, and only had the other stuff I bought to check it against that day, which was another new load, but it certainly seems to be a fair bit hotter than a lot of FMJ out there. It generally costs just enough more than my usual stuff I probably won't buy it again unless it shows up on sale.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gold Dot and also Federal HST ammo almost doubled overnight about the first of the year IIRC. The notification I saw on several different web sights where I bought Federal HST in the past said that the manufacturers were demanding sellers to only sell to law enforcement in the 50 round boxes. Same goes for Speer Gold Dot. The price of the 20 round boxes remained fairly stable. But of course they already were twice as expensive per round as a 50 round box. No idea why UMC is hard to find, but then, I don't use UMC so I really haven't noticed.

You might try another source for the UMC and Speer Lawman. Try SGammo, Brownells, Midway USA, Academy.
Well that blows!!!!... looks like I've purchased my last box of Gold Dots for awhile.

I purchase a lot of ammo... so I joined Target Sports USA Prime back in December. I hate to have to purchase elsewhere since with Prime... the price is usually lower than other places on a normal day. I guess I may have purchase elsewhere if they don't get what I want back in stock. Not sure what is going on with them... as they were never out of stock on ammo for more than a couple of days or so in the past.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Personally, I hoard Hertenburger Buscadero Ticondas. And no, I will not shoot that rabbit for you.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Well that blows!!!!... looks like I've purchased my last box of Gold Dots for awhile.

I purchase a lot of ammo... so I joined Target Sports USA Prime back in December. I hate to have to purchase elsewhere since with Prime... the price is usually lower than other places on a normal day. I guess I may have purchase elsewhere if they don't get what I want back in stock. Not sure what is going on with them... as they were never out of stock on ammo for more than a couple of days or so in the past.
Found some 124gr Gold Dot at a pretty good price here: $25.29 for a box of 50
Speer LE 53618 Gold Dot 9mm 124gr GDHP 50bx/20cs - White Birch Armory

SGAmmo has the 115gr for $26.95

50 Round Box - 9mm Luger Speer Gold Dot 115 Grain Hollow Point LE Ammo - 53614 | SGAmmo.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts