Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much ammo everyone typically likes to have on hand in case everything goes upside down with our way of life. I have been buying 100 rounds of 7.62x39 for my SKS every week, wanting to get up to 10,000 rounds on hand. For my .40 I buy 50 to 100 rounds a week, planning to keep 5,000 or so rounds on hand.

Am I crazy? My girlfriend certainly thinks so.....

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
You're crazy for not contributing equal amounts to me.

You know, for the children. ;)

Seriously, I have a few hundred of each caliber. Enough in a pinch, but I also have tons of components to make a lot more if something happens.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No you are not crazy. I have 1000+ rounds of .223, over 1400 rounds of 45 Colt, 800 rounds of .308 and at least 500 rounds for all of my 14 calibers. I replace it as soon as I shoot it. I am reluctant to shoot any of my reloads . Walmart doesn't even stock any .22lr, thus I try not to shoot what I can't replace.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I would invest in a reloading setup & start storing components, more bang for your $$. I try to keep a 1000rds for each caliber for shtf. More than that, not gonna be able to carry it all. In 7.62x39, relading is not really an option, so buying monthly is a god idea, just not sure what 10k rds woud be for.
Crazy, just depends on why you are hoarding. Shtf, food, water, shelter, ability to make power, all come before spending on lots of ammo.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Let's see . . . one, two, three, four, five . . .

This could take a while. Let me get back to you.

kypix

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Like Fred said, easier to stock reloading components, 10K (9mm) brass fits in a 5 gallon bucket, 10K small pistol primers fit in a small plastic box, 8 lbs of powder in a med. size jug, bullets are heavy but don't take much room. Having a few thousand rounds made up is a good idea, but other than that I would rather keep everything as parts.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
.223, shotgun and .45 acp. ammo, I have "some". 22 long rifle...on fumes.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Having a couple hundred rounds of SD ammo in each caliber is a good idea for any SHTF scenario.

My main concern is if there is another ammo shortage like last year. I was caught flatfooted and my shooting sessions suffered. My reloading equipment is almost complete. I don't worry about having thousands of rounds available at one time. Being able to continue to shoot a couple hundred rounds any day I want is all I need. Retrieve the brass, rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
a couple rounds of each caliber... you know... just in case. :)

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
All Barney Fife needed was one in his shirt pocket.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I have about 25 to 30k in NATO calibers on hand at any given time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I dunno... I keep trying to stockpile loaded rounds, but then the sun comes out, it's a beautiful day, and the outdoor Action Pistol Range calls to me and I shoot them up. No problem... I can reload and try again, and again.

So for me the answer is to have a good stockpile of components and assemble as necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I dunno... I keep trying to stockpile loaded rounds, but then the sun comes out, it's a beautiful day, and the outdoor Action Pistol Range calls to me and I shoot them up. No problem... I can reload and try again, and again.

So for me the answer is to have a good stockpile of components and assemble as necessary.

My problem (and solution) as well. Once I have enough ammo for a good days shooting, I'm off to the range. I also have trouble hanging on to factory ammo because I look forward to reloading it.

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
I think I'm around a thousand rounds for each centerfire handgun and rifle caliber, a couple thousand rounds for .22lr, and maybe 500 rounds for shotgun, between buckshot, birdshot, & slugs.
Imagine how the liberal media would describe your inventory. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts