Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just talking for range and target practice. What are the brands that I can get and what should I stay away from?

Our local walmarts carry winchester 9mm ammo for $10.97/box...is this good ammo for targets practice?

Also, what are some other brands that I should look for and what is a good cheap price nowadays for ammo?

Thanks again for your inputs. I love this board!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you look around, most walmarts also carry a brand called Blazer Brass. That stuff usually runs around $9 per 50 round box. If they don't have Blazer Brass, Winchester USA (WWB for short) is the cheapest around. But if you get the 100 round boxes, usually about $20 per box, it is actually cheaper per round than the 50 round boxes. Another brand that is good is Remington UMC, although it tends to run a little bit more expensive, around $23 per 100 rounds.

Beyond those three, I can't really think of to many other good target ammo brands. I'm sure there are others, but thats all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blazer Brass if the cheapest. I have also found it to be cleaner and more accurate than the other two. I know not all Walmart's carry Blazer, if it's there, I would choose this brand over the other two hands down.

I think the worst of the three is Remington UMC, I haven't tried their 9 mm but in .45 it was way dirtier and as a result it took fewer rounds with Remington to cause my 1911 to get dirty enough to start up with the FTE.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I prefer the Blazer Brass also. Walmart has it but I noticed there ammo supplies is low at several stores. I was told by a clerk that people are buying it all up because they fear it wont be available in the future. ?? I dont know what that is suppose to mean. Poor Sig 357 at 24 bucks a practice box. --wow

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, guys, I'm a first time gun owner, got my XDM 9mm just before Christmas. I fired 100 rounds of Monarch ammo -- cheap stuff from Academy Sports -- and my pistol didn't like it much. Had a few stovepipes, a couple of rounds didn't feed right and jammed, and a couple of times the slide didn't lock back when the mag was empty. Shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC today, everything fed thru fine, but the slide didn't lock back when empty 2 out of 4 times. 5 rounds of Hornady hollow point fired just fine. All 115 grain. Bought a box of WWB but left it at home -- that's what I'll try next.

Ammo is in short supply around here (SE Louisiana). Can't find Blazer anywhere. Pretty much limited to WWB, Remington, and stuff I haven't heard of before.

Thinking about trying 124 grain to see if I get better results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fired 100 rounds of Monarch ammo -- cheap stuff from Academy Sports -- and my pistol didn't like it much. Had a few stovepipes, a couple of rounds didn't feed right and jammed, and a couple of times the slide didn't lock back when the mag was empty. Shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC today, everything fed thru fine, but the slide didn't lock back when empty 2 out of 4 times. quote]

I've had the same problem with Monarch with my Sigs. I quit buying it. I do buy the UMC MegaPack and don't recall having any problems with any of my Sigs, my XDM40 or XDM9. Some claim it shoots dirty, but I clean every time I go to the range.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whats up newbie here just bought my XDm9 couple days ago. I was told not to buy the winchester 9mm ammo (100pack) at walmart because its secondary ammo. Is this true? I was going to buy these as my target ammo and use Cor-Bon DPX Ammunition 9mm Luger +P as my defense ammo.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
I'll use Winchester "white box" ("WWB") and Blazer... even Aguila, but I prefer to use Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi ammo.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
Whats up newbie here just bought my XDm9 couple days ago. I was told not to buy the winchester 9mm ammo (100pack) at walmart because its secondary ammo. Is this true?...
Not true. WWB meets all SAAMI specs.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
A few issues in the first hundred rounds is somewhat expected. I use WWB or Blazer Brass. I prefer the BB for reloading. I have some monarch, but it is just for long term storage as it doesn't seem as accurate and I can't reload it.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Just grabbed two boxes today at my Wally world. Freaking yesterday they had like 10, then today only 3 left! I swear, USA right wingers are gonna eat up all our ammo stock before the month is over.

Wanted to grab some Blazer Brass to try out in my new XD(m)9mm but they haven't had it in weeks so I just went with the WWB. Its pretty much a draw between those two for dirt cheap 9mm ammo apparently

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
What about Blazer aluminum? I don't care about reloading. Is there a reason to stay away from the Blaze Aluminum 9mm ammo., or is it OK for range use?
I've used Blazer aluminum in both 9mm and .40S&W... no problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't want to start a new thread but my question is along the lines of what is the highest grain the XD 9mm should/can take? Warranty conisderations of course? I got a free box of ammo when I purchased pistol. Not sure of the name but I think it's some local off brand - Atlanta Armor & Ammo 115 gr. TCJ 9mm Luger 50 rds. Is there a thread or somewhere I can get a sense of what the TCJ and grain means along with other acronyms?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just grabbed two boxes today at my Wally world. Freaking yesterday they had like 10, then today only 3 left! I swear, USA right wingers are gonna eat up all our ammo stock before the month is over.

I just got my XDm yesturday and went to walmart to pick up some ammo, they were OUT of ALL 9mm, Luckily while I was talking to the cashier a person from the back was bringing out 1 box of 9mm....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
For range duty I've been shooting Winchester White Box. Although, I have about 2500 rounds of the Remington UMC which I obtained for a better price than any of the aforementioned. Check out your local Dick's. They were selling 9mm when bought in case quantities (multiples of 500 rounds) at $16 for 100 rounds. I obtained mine in December. One of my buddies grabbed up about 15,000 rounds last summer. I'm not sure if they are still pushing this deal, but if you have a Dick's in your area check it out. Although, even if they are this stuff basically sells out when it hits the floor. I lucked out one time and got there right after some guy bought 30 cases; they had 6 left and I took 5 of them. Now that you mention it I will probably stop by my local Dick's today. I wouldn't mind having 5 more cases... :cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I picked up all eleven boxes of 9mm Blazer brass (50ct.) from Wally World the other night @ $8.97ea. I decided to order a couple of boxes of Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr. +P HP and Hornady TAP 124gr. HP from ATG. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the range in the next week.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts