Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an xds and had a jam with zq1 ammo from Walmart. Got everything cleared and the owner of the gun shop and range said it was because of how dirty/ bad the ammo was. Then other people tell me they use it with no issues and xd xdm and xds are made to shoot anything but steel. Then people tell me xds are picky. I have a xdm 4.5. .40
Never had a problem with it shot pmc Winchester and cci.

Looking for some positive response and issues any of you have had.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have put around 250 rnds throught my xds.

Put some Federal aluminum case and brass case, some brass max, and some rem umc.

Out of all of those I had two jams with brass max because the brass was too long (not the guns fault).

I also shot some 115 gr berry bullets reloads. Shot good but the powder charge was a tad too light so had some stove pipes (my fault).

I have not had issue besides what was stated through my xds. I also lube and clean after every shooting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an XDS 4.0 9mm. Winchester 115 as my range ammo. Over 500 rds never an issue.
In selecting self defense ammo, started with critical defense & the Orange tip always jammed (I m o think the tip is kinda like a pencil eraser & gets caught). Switched to many others and settled on federal. never an issue other than critical defense

·
Registered
207 Posts
Also shot 20 hornady xtps with NP.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just one "jam" ?? It may take more shooting to nail down the problem, be it ammo, gun or you. But I have never shot any of that ammo, so, could be it.

XDs 3.3 45, is the one I have, and so far, I haven`t found any ammo that wouldn`t feed, including my very light 200gr lswc. Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have fed mine various brass, tull steel, federal aluminum and Winchester PDX. They only one that gave me issues was the PDX

·
Registered
20 Posts
90% of problems are shooter induced...improper grip can interfere with slide or permit excessive jump that causes misfeeds, stove pipes, and failure to go to battery.

·
Registered
557 Posts
90% of problems are shooter induced...improper grip can interfere with slide or permit excessive jump that causes misfeeds, stove pipes, and failure to go to battery.
Not to worry, everybody always has a perfect grip during a self-defense situation. :roll:

OP, the ZQI ammo is not budget crap and is considered quite good ammo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to worry, everybody always has a perfect grip during a self-defense situation. :roll:
Then you train harder. Practice your draw, grip, and recoil management in all stances until it becomes muscle memory so your body makes it happen without thinking about it. It's not enough to be armed. To blame the weapon is a trend I have seen in multiple threads as an excuse for more than likely poor shooter mechanics. Unacceptable answer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Then you train harder. Practice your draw, grip, and recoil management in all stances until it becomes muscle memory so your body makes it happen without thinking about it. It's not enough to be armed. To blame the weapon is a trend I have seen in multiple threads as an excuse for more than likely poor shooter mechanics. Unacceptable answer.
As a retired NRA combat firearms instructor I can say from voice of experience that you are right on target. There is no place in self defense training for rationalization, particularly as it relates to firearms use. Most civilians and even law enforcement do not train properly and often enough to be remotely prepared for a self defense situation involving the use of a firearm. For that reason MOST civilians should be carrying derringers or revolvers...simplicity and reliability of function requires less familiarity and training to be proficient...in my not-so-humble opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As a retired NRA combat firearms instructor I can say from voice of experience that you are right on target. There is no place in self defense training for rationalization, particularly as it relates to firearms use. Most civilians and even law enforcement do not train properly and often enough to be remotely prepared for a self defense situation involving the use of a firearm. For that reason MOST civilians should be carrying derringers or revolvers...simplicity and reliability of function requires less familiarity and training to be proficient...in my not-so-humble opinion.
I Recently saw a stat that LEO hit their intended target 24% of the time and civilians 74% in real life situations

·
Registered
9 Posts
A whole lot of people buy a good gun, don't clean it before they go to the range the first time, buy the cheapest crap ammo they can find and then complain when the pistol doesn't perform properly. Also, many with no experience, buy a large caliber for their first pistol and are overwhelmed by the recoil causing jams.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
For that reason MOST civilians should be carrying derringers or revolvers...simplicity and reliability of function requires less familiarity and training to be proficient...in my not-so-humble opinion.
The less you actually have to THINK about in a stressful situation, the better off you are. I've heard somewhere that it takes between 750 and 850 repetitions of the same movement for "muscle memory" to kick in. How many times have YOU practiced drawing, aiming, and pulling the trigger?

For that reason, I carry the same gun in the same holster in the same place on my body 99.9% of the time I'm armed. I don't have to remember if there's a safety I need to flick off, or how many rounds it holds, or how long the trigger pulls is, etc. I KNOW.

Caliber MAY save your life.
Penetration MAY save your life.
Shot placement MAY save your life.
Round count MAY save your life.
Practice WILL save your life.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The less you actually have to THINK about in a stressful situation, the better off you are. I've heard somewhere that it takes between 750 and 850 repetitions of the same movement for "muscle memory" to kick in. How many times have YOU practiced drawing, aiming, and pulling the trigger?

For that reason, I carry the same gun in the same holster in the same place on my body 99.9% of the time I'm armed. I don't have to remember if there's a safety I need to flick off, or how many rounds it holds, or how long the trigger pulls is, etc. I KNOW.
This! ^^^

I hear about people "adding a gun to their rotation" and carrying this gun in this way when they do this or carrying that gun in that way when they are dressed that way and I wonder - do they actually train and practice all those guns in all those methods and locations of carry? Me, I carry one gun in one holster in one location and I train and practice to that end.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Me, I carry one gun in one holster in one location and I train and practice to that end.
My EDC is an XD9SC. My backup piece is a XD40SC. Same gun just different caliber. The only time I change out is when I'm working in the shop or yard. My carry then is a Taurus 85UL in a shoulder holster. Enough firepower for a snap defense or to let me fight my way to a better weapon, but small and light enough for working.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
To reply to the OP question on ammo, my now 4 month old XD-S 9mm 3.3 has has over 1500 rounds put through it with no failures with at least 5 different types of ammo. I normally have Blazer Brass to shoot but have put boxes of Speer Lawman, Federal Aluminum-cased rounds, Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi and a box of Hornaday SD rounds, all have shot well at the range.

What is the "best" is what suits you best under your own situation. Basic range ammo is different from self-defense rounds and shoot what you can, you'll find out what your gun likes and doesn't like. Your shooting style, will vary from everyone else so settle on what you find works best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This! ^^^

I hear about people "adding a gun to their rotation" and carrying this gun in this way when they do this or carrying that gun in that way when they are dressed that way and I wonder - do they actually train and practice all those guns in all those methods and locations of carry? Me, I carry one gun in one holster in one location and I train and practice to that end.
I agree 100%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts