Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give all a reminder to check your ammo while loading your weapons. See the photo of a Federal HST 40 S&W cartridge that came out of a brand new box of ammo.

">

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Wow. I thought Federal Premium was loaded with all new brass casings. That looks like one that has been previously fired and stovepiped.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:shock:

Very surprising to see this. It's a good reminder to be aware of what you're putting in your weapon.....

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
WOW!!! i carry HST 9mm....even the best ammo can have a dud...

gonna go check my ammo stash right now...

thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
wow thats odd i tend to switch around my carry ammo every other week

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Call Federal and let them know you found this in a brand new box of ammo and they will probably replace it free of charge heck they may even throw in free ammo on top of that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call Federal and let them know you found this in a brand new box of ammo and they will probably replace it free of charge heck they may even throw in free ammo on top of that.
Free ammo is always cool...but my main concern is the safety of other shooters. I have sent a note to Federal and hope that they are on top of their quality control proceedures. I am afraid that rounds damaged such as the one in the photo could cause misfeeds, failures to extract or worse...eg: Kabooms. If that happened in a firefight it could be deadly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That round would probably still feed and fire.
Yeah, Probably... especially in an XD, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.
Rapid fire, dirty gun, bad clip spring, limp wrist...I dunno, just another factor that could contribute to a failure. Plus....it just doesn't look good ;)

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Anything that comes off of an assembly line is going to be flawed.

It's a good reminder for us to see pics like this, we get lax in buying "premium" quality ammo and never think to check. I will NEVER buy another box of Remington Green Box ammo again...neva!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow that's bad...and ugly...I would give Federal a mean little call and have them send me a free box of ammo. Good thing you caught that before you fired it...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It will feed, and fire, just fine. The problem is betting your life on it! I would use it at the range without hesitation, but not for daily carry with my life or my family's life on the line. Here is Federal Cartridge's contact info. I would call (since finding an e-mail for Federal is like trying to find Santa Claus) and describe to them your problems and concerns. I would also advise that you have photos of the damaged cartridge, the box with the lot # info, etc. This is something that they need to hear about and need to "make it right."

Federal Cartridge Company
900 Ehlen Drive
Anoka, MN 55303-7503
1-800-322-2342

·
Registered
173 Posts
Gee, that looks familiar...

Also the same "premium ammo"...maybe we should give them a call...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Post up the LOT # and see if their are any similarities with both of your lots...

·
Registered
271 Posts
LOL would have been interesting if they were...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts