Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got them installed and fired a few rounds. They appear to be extremely acurate. from 15 yards I hit the target DEAD center with the first shot and the next 3 rounds where touching the hole from the first one. The final couple rounds where not touching the others but where within 1.5 and 2 inches (it's cold outside. I think I might have been shaking just a little). Even better than I was expecting, especially since I installed them myself (a first for me). For those waiting on the firing results these appear to be a winner, but I ran out of time today and will be putting them through some more thorough paces tomorrow at different distances. I'll post again tomorrow and give you the final anylasis. I'll also try to take some pictures. As a side note, they look extremely bitchin on the gun also :D .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if they are or not. I don't shoot competitions and don't know a thing about their rules to be totally honest. My pistol is a staight up working pistol used as duty weapon/defense weapon only.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I rad somewhere that they are NOt legal for IDPA but you may want to read the rule book.

How fast is your target aquisition with those sights?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ichy_trigger said:
How fast is your target aquisition with those sights?
Very fast. Your not lining up dots like with the factoy sights. It's much more of a point and shoot kind of feel. You draw down and you stare right through the rear sight without really giving it any thought. You just put your front sight where you want to shoot and go. It feels very smooth and natural (at least to me). I also noticed right away that I am able to get back on target between shots faster than before.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Ghost ring sights ARE NOT permitted in IDPA.
I wonder why not. They seem like the "practical" type for speedy target acquisition in a combat situation. Guess it would not be fair to all those clunky 1911 shooters.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Old School said:
IDPA specifies that sights much be Notch & Post style.
Why? Besides that they are a bunch of conservative 1911 junkies. Is there a good reason they do not allow a ghost ring? Just asking if there is a serious reason, not just the because we said so one. It is not like you are putting on a red dot I think. I think that any good concealable sight system that would be usefull in a practical combat situation should be allowed. If the Seals like it for combat, why shouldn't we?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I love the idea of them, and have ever since I saw them for the first time, but man do they look giant and clunky.

·
Registered
388 Posts
VegasShadows said:
What if you just cut a gap at the apex of the ghost rail... then it would just be really tall notch and post.....
That would be really fun to try, assuming you didn't mind hacking the rear sight. Unfortunately, the wording in the IDPA rule book (see below, emphasis added) seems to cover that.

Sights: Only conventional notch and post type sights are permitted for IDPA competition. Sights may include tritium inserts, fiber optic inserts, white dots, etc.

manygunner said:
Old School said:
Why? Besides that they are a bunch of conservative 1911 junkies. Is there a good reason they do not allow a ghost ring? Just asking if there is a serious reason, not just the because we said so one.
The IDPA folks claim that they don't want the "equipment wars" seen in most other shooting sports, but seeing as ghost rings and Heinie sights often cost less than their conventional counterparts, I don't buy it (no pun intended). It's simply fear of change, if you ask me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
George R Horst said:
Hey, they look great.I ordered the classic 3 dots should have them this week. Were they easy to install ??? Good looking pic's
Yeah they where actually pretty easy to install. Took me a couple hours. They where a pretty good fit. I had to file just a little on the front, but the back fit perfect.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
stealthsniper said:
manygunner said:
Old School said:
Why? Besides that they are a bunch of conservative 1911 junkies. Is there a good reason they do not allow a ghost ring? Just asking if there is a serious reason, not just the because we said so one.
The IDPA folks claim that they don't want the "equipment wars" seen in most other shooting sports, but seeing as ghost rings and Heinie sights often cost less than their conventional counterparts, I don't buy it (no pun intended). It's simply fear of change, if you ask me.
Yeah, I can understand that they do not want an IPSC Open class. They do need to keep up with some of the times though. I think that if it is a fixed, non-electronic, non-optical sight that can not fail under combat conditions it should be allowed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I shot the crap out of it today at distances ranging from 5 yard back to 25 yards and they where pretty much flawless. I had no problem hitting everything I shot at with ease and will be quite comfortable with trusting them on my duty weapon. The tritiums are plenty bright in low light as well, but without being so bright they distract your vision (I heard somewhere that ameriglo suposedly had lackluster tritiums. Not the case here). Not really sure what else to say since the bottom line for me always is would I trust it with my life. The answer is yes in this case. My buddy also gave me that pachmayr slip on in the picture yesterday and I really like the feel of it. I was thinking about buying one but the grip felt so good on the XD I wasn't sure if I'd like anything else on it or not. I lucked out and got a freebee and it feels great. For those waiting to get the verdict on these sights I can now tell you without a doubt to buy with confidence. You will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mr0w1 said:
I love the idea of them, and have ever since I saw them for the first time, but man do they look giant and clunky.
You know, I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw them on my XD-9 SD...the first thing I thought was "damn, this looks kick ass, but is it still going to fit my holster?!?!". As it turns out, there's barely any bigger footprint with the sights. I personally love them. I was also really, really bummed when I found out about the IDPA rule disallowing them (the 2005 rulebook actually specifically says no ghost ring sights...page 18). Like others have said, I find this rather strange, as they were designed for real world use...I first saw them and used them in the military...seems kind of counter productive for IDPA style shooting. Oh well. I'm just glad I never ordered a pair for my 5" tactical or I'd really be up the creek! :lol:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
XDinCT said:
mr0w1 said:
I love the idea of them, and have ever since I saw them for the first time, but man do they look giant and clunky.[/quote
............................................snip..............................................

...I first saw them and used them in the military... :lol:
I'm curious, what Handgun did you use in the military that used a ghost ring sight?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts