Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
38 Special, 158grn, LRN

I was doing some practice in very low light at an indoor range, air system was on.
100 round American Eagle, they smoked bad!! By 18 rounds, the cylinder looked like a custom black tint over brushed nickle!!
My last 50 were Blazer FMJ. Hardly any smoke.

Is this normal for American Eagle? If it is, then I'll use it for outdoors only!!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Federal 158 grain lrn leads up my barrels. Bad! They were also rather smokey. I'll never buy them again because of the leading. Even ppu lrn barely leaded.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info NathanXD.
I don't care for lrn at all, but it's just about as tough getting 38 Special anything as 22!
Fmj & hp are legendary ghosts!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The cheap bulk ammo like AE, wwb, umc, etc, uses the cheapest powder they can stuff in a case. It burns dirty, smokes a lot more than premium ammo. Why so many of us reload, we can make better ammo than the cheap factory stuff & for less $$$.:D

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Barrel length can sometimes play a part too. Winchester whitebox is nasty too.

For range fodder, I think I might stick with freedom munitions until I roll my own.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fredj338
&
DevJames
Thanks for the info!!
I was using an S&W 66. Very nice, IIRC, 4in bbl.
Trigger was smooth, no grit feel. I wish we didn't say bye to the 1my Bride had :-(

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Barrel length can sometimes play a part too. Winchester whitebox is nasty too.

For range fodder, I think I might stick with freedom munitions until I roll my own.
If you only shoot 100rds of 44 a month, well worth loading for it. Get a used ss pres, new lee Dies, good powder measure & scale, maybe $250. You can easily do 50rds/hr, couple hours a week for $8/50 full power 44mags.:D

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Oh I know I'll save money in the long run. I've been eyeing up. A Smith 657 because I need another expensive and hard to find caliber. And I want a .38 Super as well...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
38 Super is a pretty good round, but if you really want to come to the "dark side" build a 9X23. You will have to become a reloader then.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Oh I know I'll save money in the long run. I've been eyeing up. A Smith 657 because I need another expensive and hard to find caliber. And I want a .38 Super as well...
All great candidates for saving huge sums of $$. Load 38sup for 1/2 the cost of factory 9mm. 41mag, handlading is really your only choice for decent ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts